Author Topic: Advide please - lightweight summer breathable waterproof  (Read 4549 times)

AFANASIEW

Advice please... What's the lightest summer breathable waterproof that will withstand 6 hours of rain? I have a Mountain Equipment Lhotse, but that weighs in at 530g and I'd prefer something lighter for LEJOG later this year.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Advide please - lightweight summer breathable waterproof
« Reply #1 on: 11:49:55, 24/01/19 »
If you are doing the LEJOG then I would have thought that having a bombproof jacket that will not let you down is more important than shaving a few ounces off your load - the Lhotse fits the bill perfectly.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

AFANASIEW

« Reply #2 on: 11:55:47, 24/01/19 »
If you are doing the LEJOG then I would have thought that having a bombproof jacket that will not let you down is more important than shaving a few ounces off your load - the Lhotse fits the bill perfectly.
I bought it with that in mind, so it's the default option. But you never know...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:12:25, 24/01/19 »
My Marmot Precip has been in some horrendous rain and remained waterproof.  Do need to slow down a bit though as it's not as breathable as more expensive jackets
Where there's a will ...

AFANASIEW

« Reply #4 on: 12:18:39, 24/01/19 »
My Marmot Precip has been in some horrendous rain and remained waterproof.  Do need to slow down a bit though as it's not as breathable as more expensive jackets
Breathbaility's key - I sweat buckets, I mean, 'run hot'.  :buck2:

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:53:29, 24/01/19 »
Summer breathable?  I'd consider an umbrella, my friend who did a LEJOG this year used one for the majority of the journey and just had an lightweight waterproof along with him (probably a precip actually).  At the end of the day if you're in torrential rain and high winds, you're going to get wet eventually - you need to move faster to keep warm but you also sweat when you move faster.  The best response to this is wicking base layers and mid layers, and (imo) to use hydrophillics like Paramo which don't rely on a temperature differential (most Goretex is tested at 32C and rated for that).  Hydrophillics are just simply better for the UK climate, but unfortunately heavier.

If you're dead-set on a fancy breathable waterproof jacket look into the Goretex Shakedry stuff, which is their tech on the market designed for the premium running market.  It's good stuff, but very much doubt it'll last very long under rucksack straps.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:14:49, 24/01/19 »
I sometimes take an umbrella, it can be a good decision when it rains and there's no wind, I even use it when its hot and sunny, great for my bald patch. Sometimes when its really hot I just don't want to wear my hat!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:35:12, 24/01/19 »
For very lightweight travel, and decent waterproofness, Montanes Freeflow Velo  H2O jacket.
Its a basic Pertex jacket, but for the price of around £60, its excellent, and weighs very little, and packs away into a stuff sack that's the size of an Apple.
Its hood is the best ive ever used, fully adjustable, and gives superb protection.
For those warmer summer months, its worth a look.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #8 on: 19:38:38, 24/01/19 »
I sometimes take an umbrella, it can be a good decision when it rains and there's no wind, I even use it when its hot and sunny, great for my bald patch. Sometimes when its really hot I just don't want to wear my hat!
Are you Map Man in disguise?? I've lost the habit of using umbrellas here on the south coast, because it's rarely not windy when it rains. My charter hat has ventilation, so it's ok in warm weather.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #9 on: 19:42:35, 24/01/19 »
For very lightweight travel, and decent waterproofness, Montanes Freeflow Velo  H2O jacket.
I still have a similar showerproof Montane windjacket that I took on the Pennine Way in 2015. That, too, stuffs down into a ball and I still use it on day hikes, but it wouldn't do for a day's walking in the rain, I'm afraid.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #10 on: 20:07:54, 24/01/19 »
Hydrophillics are just simply better for the UK climate, but unfortunately heavier.

If you're dead-set on a fancy breathable waterproof jacket look into the Goretex Shakedry stuff, which is their tech on the market designed for the premium running market.  It's good stuff, but very much doubt it'll last very long under rucksack straps.
The Shakedry stuff looks very interesting - thanks for bringing it to my attention. My concerns woud be a) how would the material fare under a rucksack harness and b) how careful would you have to be near gorse and brambles?I've discounted Paramo because of the weight factor.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:26:16, 24/01/19 »
Nowadays I use a £14.99 wind jacket from Decathlon, its great over the top of my baselayer and jacket, if it rains I just slip on my Marmot Precip, or my poncho. I have a Paramo Alta 2 and last used it November 2018 up Great Gable, the first time for months! The zip has now broken so until I decide what to do it will just hang in my camping 'wardrobe'.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #12 on: 21:55:14, 24/01/19 »
Sadly, you're right. GoreTex specifically say it doesn't work with rucksacks.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:36:03, 24/01/19 »
Don't see many umbrellas up here in Orkney!  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:13:48, 25/01/19 »
The Berghaus Hyper 100 is extremely light and breathable. Probably the best of its type.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy