Author Topic: Leather walking boots WITHOUT a waterproof membrane  (Read 19212 times)

El Principe

Re: Leather walking boots WITHOUT a waterproof membrane
« Reply #30 on: 17:46:45, 01/10/19 »
I've pulled the trigger on the Nazcat! Waiting for them to come.

Will let you guys know how they pan out.  O0

As for the Meindl's, they'll go back. They probably fit my foot, but I don't like a really narrow outsole/footprint, it means less ground contact and therefore a less stable feel. 

Skirrid

« Reply #31 on: 14:10:44, 02/11/19 »
I've had a few pairs of Scarpa Deltas both with and without the Goretex lining. They're about £30 cheaper without. I can honestly say I've never got wet feet in either type. Super comfortable too. O0

El Principe

« Reply #32 on: 14:34:35, 14/12/19 »
Hey guys, just thought I'd give an update on the Hanwag Nazcat Boots (leather lined).

Very good so far. Pretty firm and stiff out of the box, but they do soften up within a few weeks. I wouldn't hike in them without breaking them in first. I also replaced the stock footbed with a softer option (one which is still thin and doesn't alter the fit).

They have loads of support and cushion, though my only criticism of the midsole would be that it delivers a fairly "high-to-the-ground" feel.

The leather uppers are where this boots really shines, and after a few months of use, show absolutely no signs of wear. No creases, nothing.

I've actually cleaned them for the first time since use. To tell you the truth, I don't scrub clean my boots very often - if they're pretty mucky after a trek, I'll usually use some paper towels just to wipe/dab the muck off and then leave to dry. The height of the midsole + rand means that most muck doesn't reach the uppers.

Cleaning the leather uppers, using Saphir Omni Nettoyant and a soft brush (+water), delivered wonderful results. It's almost unbelievable but they came out looking like new.

I'm yet to retreat the leather, firstly with a conditioner spray (Saphir Renovateur Nubuck/Suede Spray) and then with a final DWR spray. Both impregnate and condition the leather.

I'll try get some pics up of the boot before the next treatment step so you can take a look.

I'm now thinking of getting the gore-tex version of this boot too, it's that good. I am however torn between Hanwag and Lowa for gore-tex options. I wonder if anybody has used both brands and can comment?

Thanks,
EP

El Principe

« Reply #33 on: 14:36:41, 14/12/19 »
Oops, tried to edit post above but managed to repost. Just added the bit about shoe trees.

Hey guys, just thought I'd give an update on the Hanwag Nazcat Boots (leather lined).

Very good so far. Pretty firm and stiff out of the box, but they do soften up within a few weeks. I wouldn't hike in them without breaking them in first. I also replaced the stock footbed with a softer option (one which is still thin and doesn't alter the fit).

They have loads of support and cushion, though my only criticism of the midsole would be that it delivers a fairly "high-to-the-ground" feel.

The leather uppers are where this boots really shines, and after a few months of use, show absolutely no signs of wear. No creases, nothing. (Note that I also use a cedar-wood shoe tree which lives in the boot when not in use - and because it's leather-lined, you needn't worry about the pressure degrading a membrane)

I've actually cleaned them for the first time since use. To tell you the truth, I don't scrub clean my boots very often - if they're pretty mucky after a trek, I'll usually use some paper towels just to wipe/dab the muck off and then leave to dry. The height of the midsole + rand means that most muck doesn't reach the uppers.

Cleaning the leather uppers, using Saphir Omni Nettoyant and a soft brush (+water), delivered wonderful results. It's almost unbelievable but they came out looking like new.

I'm yet to retreat the leather, firstly with a conditioner spray (Saphir Renovateur Nubuck/Suede Spray) and then with a final DWR spray. Both impregnate and condition the leather.

I'll try get some pics up of the boot before the next treatment step so you can take a look.

I'm now thinking of getting the gore-tex version of this boot too, it's that good. I am however torn between Hanwag and Lowa for gore-tex options. I wonder if anybody has used both brands and can comment?

Thanks,
EP

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 16:34:50, 16/02/20 »
I bought the Meindl Borneo (no goretex) as an alternative for my trusted Meindl Bhutan (goretex) when I was going to hike in the desert. I really liked the leather lining of the Borneo, but unfortunately it has a different mid sole too that for some reason didn't work for me. It gave me sore feet. so I changed back to the Bhutan with goretex.

Like others on this forum I regret the limited choice in non-waterproof lined boots. It's clear that marketing guys are in the driving seat.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Yorci

« Reply #35 on: 18:22:09, 16/02/20 »
I bought a pair of Fremington boots from Altberg a couple of years a go (to replace my very very ancient Line-7's). They were a reasonable price and they're not too heavy on long walks. I was seriously struggling to find a decent replacement for my much loved Line-7's. Though I was sceptical about moving to full leather. Surprisingly my feet were still comfy after climbing Whernside on a very hot day in June 2018. Hopefully they'll be okay in future hot summers. They've held nicely on a few wet scrambles and also stood up to some foul weather, they seem climate change proof - I'm not keen on soggy feet this time of the year!
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 18:43:29, 16/02/20 »
I bought a pair of Fremington boots from Altberg a couple of years a go (to replace my very very ancient Line-7's). They were a reasonable price and they're not too heavy on long walks. I was seriously struggling to find a decent replacement for my much loved Line-7's. Though I was sceptical about moving to full leather. Surprisingly my feet were still comfy after climbing Whernside on a very hot day in June 2018. Hopefully they'll be okay in future hot summers. They've held nicely on a few wet scrambles and also stood up to some foul weather, they seem climate change proof - I'm not keen on soggy feet this time of the year!

I don't know if it is just me, but I don't find leather boots much hotter. I even hike on them in hot deserts in the USA and Australia without problems.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

janner

« Reply #37 on: 16:17:48, 17/02/20 »
One more boot that has a leather lining is the Hanwag Lhasa which is like a Hanwag Tatra only made from Yak leather instead of nubuck. They can be found on Bike24 website which is a German company. To answer El Principe question I have had a pair of Meindl Bernina 2 boots which are leather lined wide boots and now have a pair of Hanwag Tatra wide. Out of the two I found the Miendl to be wider than the Hanwag wide.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 16:37:38, 17/02/20 »
Updated List

Meindl Borneo 2 MFS
Meindl Bernina 2 (wider fitting Comfort Range)
Hanwag Tatra II
Hanwag Tatra II Bunion
Hanwag Alta Bunion
Hanwag Yukon
Hanwag Yukon Wide
Hanwag Nazcat
Hanwag Lhasa II
Hanwag Lhasa II Wide
Lowa Trekker
Scarpa Delta Leather (end of line with very few still remaining in odd sizes around the country)
Scarpa SL Active (3-4 season crampon compatible)
Altberg Defender military boot (low level walking only)

Randombeliefs

« Reply #39 on: 23:08:54, 09/05/20 »
Scarpa SL Activ.

Mine are still going strong after 10 happy years, comfortable,  supple, always dry. Look no further (provided your foot shape and the shape of Scarpa's last agree)

watershed

« Reply #40 on: 09:22:42, 10/05/20 »
Asolo TPS 535 LTH V evo are cambrelle lined.
 they appear to be very popular and have a great review.
https://www.asolo.com/en/products/backpacking/triple-power-structure/tps-535-lth-v-evo-brown.html
But off course have the disadvantage of all leather boots of being heavy and expensive.

I take it your choice has to be fully leather not a combination of leather and material, like the Salomon X-Ultra Mid 3 aero. There is a link in this review to other non Gore-Tex lined boots from other brands within the review. but they are light weight and so not fully leather.
https://sectionhiker.com/salomon-x-ultra-mid-3-aero-review/

I use the Gore-tex lined version, which I started wearing instead of leather and wont be changing back.

I intend to order the Aero just to have in case I decide to go walking somewhere hot in Europe or the States after travel restrictions are lifted.
« Last Edit: 09:31:16, 10/05/20 by watershed »

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 11:48:04, 11/05/20 »
It appears that since competitors to Gore-tex's waterproof liners became more widely available the outdoor footwear industry collectively decided without any consultation which I'm aware of that we all need and must have waterproof liners in our full leather boots regardless of whether we want them or not

Interesting take on the subject, and - without trying to go off topic - one which I have a beef about in relation to another type of outdoor gear. Why is it that most top-end jacket producers insist on designing jackets with a helmet-compatible hood? Given that climbers/via-ferrata-ists are probably around c 5% of potential users, why do the rest of us have to put up with an over-large hood that we have to cinch in with all the additional fabric to get a decent fit, and which inflates in strong winds?

Just a thought, but it does bug me!  ;D :D

GP

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 12:54:26, 11/05/20 »

Interesting take on the subject, and - without trying to go off topic - one which I have a beef about in relation to another type of outdoor gear. Why is it that most top-end jacket producers insist on designing jackets with a helmet-compatible hood? Given that climbers/via-ferrata-ists are probably around c 5% of potential users, why do the rest of us have to put up with an over-large hood that we have to cinch in with all the additional fabric to get a decent fit, and which inflates in strong winds?

Just a thought, but it does bug me!  ;D :D

GP
It is so I can get my hood over my Tilley.
Solvitur Ambulando

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 12:58:18, 11/05/20 »
It is so I can get my hood over my Tilley.

;D ;D ;D

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 13:05:19, 11/05/20 »

I don't know if it is just me, but I don't find leather boots much hotter. I even hike on them in hot deserts in the USA and Australia without problems.
I prefer all leather boots. They keep my feet cooler and personally, I think they have more give in them than fabric boots.
From my experience fabric boots have always made my feet sweat.  :o
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy