Author Topic: climbers missing on Ben Nevis  (Read 13322 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: climbers missing on Ben Nevis
« Reply #15 on: 16:08:01, 18/02/16 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-35601515

Still missing but search continues according to this. Everything crossed for a good outcome!
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:15:16, 18/02/16 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-35601515

Still missing but search continues according to this. Everything crossed for a good outcome!

Thanks Deb, my heart goes out to their parents I would hate to be in their shoes, fingers crossed they will be ok

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:56:17, 18/02/16 »
As Deb says, nothing more to report at the present time. More search parties will be there 2moro & at the w'end. Weather a bit better now but there has been lots of snow in the area.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:44:45, 19/02/16 »
Their still missing, with conditions so poor, that even the Mountain rescue are not able to reach the summit.

It just goes to show that one should not underestimate Ben Nevis.

My walk up last October was memorable, but i constantly thought that this place was hellish exposed to bad weather, more akin to Snowdon on steroids.

That winding path up to the summit from the visitor centre, was terribly exposed,even on a fairly calm October day.

The temperature on the summit was a little above freezing, i foolishly took my gloves off for a summit shot, and it took the best part of ten minutes during my walk back to Fort William, for my paws to defrost.

Experienced walkers, climbers they may be, but the windchill and exposure at 4419ft would be a killer for someone unable to move or seek rescue themselves.

Their parents have flown in from Canada so they can be there when news of their whereabouts are learnt.

If the Mountain Rescue are unable to set foot on the mountain, their chances of survival must be virtually nil.
« Last Edit: 11:52:44, 19/02/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:41:02, 22/02/16 »
The weather is a lot better this morning and the search has resumed. The police & MRT have asked that anyone walking in the hills from  now on to leave a note of where they are going with someone as this would greatly assist them if things go wrong. Unfortunately it is unknown where the missing climbers were actually heading for. There are five folk still missing in the Lochaber mountains................

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:55:04, 22/02/16 »
It's not looking good is it :(

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:01:18, 22/02/16 »
Apparently, they have also asked for people to tell them where they have been in the area over the weekend to help them eliminate areas from the search (this was on a FB post, so I don't have anymore details).
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

heatybob

« Reply #22 on: 18:17:22, 22/02/16 »
 the weather was that bad last week that Mountain Leaders from the Royal Marines called off an ex with lads from 43 commando,moving elsewhere, and believe me these guys are "nails"
2017 to-do's

Get fit enough to......
...Aonoch Eagach ridge (june 17)
eta-didnt appen due to injury !!
...Get my A$$ over that  "Mantleshelf"

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:27:41, 22/02/16 »
Without actually declaring it nationally in the press, the Mountain rescue have accepted that the young couple who went missing eight day's ago on Ben Nevis, are probably dead.
The weather has to be pretty extreme and hostile for the Mountain rescue to call off a search, due to potential avalanch conditions, depth of snow and extreme temperatures.

Another young adventurer was eventually rescued this weekend, he somehow managed to get to the summit shelter and call for help.
His battery in his mobile phone eventually gave out, but members of the Mountain rescue did manage to get him down, after a several hour exercise.

No sign of the other couple was discovered, their whereabouts is still a mystery.
If they managed to rescue one person from the rescue shelter on the summit, surely if the other couple were in that area, they would have been discovered.

How their parents, who have made the journey from Canada, must be feeling, we can only imagine, but according to the papers, temperatures on the summit combined with the windchill, were approaching -18.

Nobody could spent an entire week out on Britains highest mountain in such adverse conditions, and survive.

It really brought home the walk i did last October, the mountain looked harmless enough in settled weather, but in full winter, its best left alone.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:19:24, 22/02/16 »
I agree it's unlikely and I know nothing about their capabilities but I've spent weeks in the Norwegian mountains when younger in temps down to -25.  Last time I checked I was still here  :D
Where there's a will ...

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 00:09:15, 02/03/16 »
Not wishing to be morbid but has anyone seen any update reports on the two young climbers ?
I appreciate we are probably looking at a recovery rather than a rescue but I haven't heard anything for a while. Can't imagine what their families are going through.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:11:16, 02/03/16 »
The most recent report seems to be 2 days ago and they are still missing. I am sure we will hear something if they are found:as you say, so distressing for the families and sad to have almost certainly lost 2 young lives.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:00:55, 02/03/16 »
The most recent report seems to be 2 days ago and they are still missing. I am sure we will hear something if they are found:as you say, so distressing for the families and sad to have almost certainly lost 2 young lives.

It's so sad but it does look like they have perished :(

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:08:37, 02/03/16 »
By way of an update..........On Saturday over forty members of various MRTs, search dogs and other climbers had a very intense search of various areas of the Ben Nevis massif to try & locate the missing couple. Nothing was found...........the search has now been 'officially' stood down although some will continue looking.
There has been lots more snow in the area and is may well be some months B4 any trace of them are found.
There are now five persons still missing in the Ben Nevis/Glencoe area. Only a rucksack belonging to one of them (found in Glen Nevis) was ever recovered.

heatybob

« Reply #29 on: 10:10:59, 02/03/16 »
 Those families must be going through absolute Hell on Earth,hope they find them soon for some degree of closure.
2017 to-do's

Get fit enough to......
...Aonoch Eagach ridge (june 17)
eta-didnt appen due to injury !!
...Get my A$$ over that  "Mantleshelf"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy