Author Topic: Walked Snowdon for the first time, loved it!  (Read 2769 times)

stuartpb

Walked Snowdon for the first time, loved it!
« on: 13:23:18, 19/08/17 »
Earlier this year I set myself a challenge, I wanted to start on walking Snowdon, Ben Nevis and then Kilimanjaro, over 3 or 4 years. The first walk would be Snowdon. I decided to try and raise some funds for SSAFA - The Armed Forces Charity by getting sponsorship to walk it. I'd set myself a target of £500, that got smashed and I ended up raising over £1300. We lost my dad while he was in service with the army, so SSAFA is a charity close to our hearts. For the Snowdon walk, I asked 3 mates to join me. We completed the walk on the 5th of August.

Two of my mates went down to Snowdon the day before the walk and stopped at the YHA at Pen y Pass. My other mate and I left Doncaster at 3am on the day of the walk. It took us nearly 4 hours with a rest break to get there. We had a mess about getting parked but set off about 0815hrs. We ascended via the Pyg Track. I was pretty nervous about that route, for 2 reasons. First, I'm scared of height - to the point I've frozen on a ladder before. Second, my wife found a news report a couple of days before we left that a man had fallen 70m off the track. So it was fair to say I had my concerns. One of my mates has done Snowdon many times, he's as fit as a fiddle, he was the walk leader and I trust him so that put my mind at ease a bit.

The first climb was good, we got to the junction where the Crib Goch route starts without any drama at all. The next section with the flatter walk was welcome though! Myself and one of my mates aren't the fittest of lads so it was fairly hard going but manageable. When we started the 3rd section when things started getting a bit tougher one of the lads started slowing down a lot so our leader told us to follow the path and he'd get the lad up. There were parts of the ascent I didn't like, where the drop off was grim (for me) and people were pushing or bumping into others. It was really busy by this time.

So two of us found our way up to the summit, the other two joined us about 20 minutes later. It was a great feeling and we were buzzing! The cloud was covering the summit so we couldn't see much and it was freezing too! We'd come prepared with warm kit so that wasn't a problem. We stopped to have something to eat and then discussed which route down we were going to take. Our leader wanted us to come down via the Pyg Track/ Miners Track but I wasn't keen on that as some of the points we went up worried me with my fear of heights and I knew it would be worse coming down. So we decided to walk the Llanberis path.

I'd managed to break a toe the week before we done the walk and on the ascent it didn't give me any problems at all. I had it strapped up and all was well. That was until we started on the descent, the toe was throbbing after about 20 minutes, by the time an hour had passed it was painful. I carried on though, it wasn't bad enough that I couldn't walk or where it was making me limp. It did slow me down a lot though. We stopped off at the cafe half way down the path, for a sandwich and drink and then cracked on again. I have to say, the Llanberis Path was starting to feel like it was never ending by that time!

We finally made it down and stopped for a beer at the pub at the end of the Llanberis Path, we got talking to a bloke from the Mountain Rescue team, they'd had a couple of call outs while we were on the mountain. We completed the walk in about 8 and a half hours, we were never going to break any records but that isn't why we done it. We took our time and enjoyed it, even my mate who was struggling wants to go back, we all do! I've done many miles lowlands walks and hill walking in the Peak District but Snowdon was hard for me. Hard but bloody rewarding!

We stopped at the Snowdon Ranger YHA that night, had a few beers and a decent meal too. I have to say Snowdonia is absolutely stunning and I want to spend a lot more time there!!

A few piccies from the walk, I'm the one with the red hat on.

« Last Edit: 13:26:21, 19/08/17 by stuartpb »

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Walked Snowdon for the first time, loved it!
« Reply #1 on: 16:56:30, 19/08/17 »

Well done Stuart - and your mates!

I have to say Snowdonia is absolutely stunning and I want to spend a lot more time there!!

Snowdon is addictive - I've seen dawn, dusk, I've slept on the summit, I've even spent Xmas day on the summit! I reckon I've been to the top of Snowdon about 30 to 40 times and I still get the same tingle on that final few metres.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:34:07, 19/08/17 »
Snowdon itself is much too crowded for me :( , I keep well away from it (but I should be walking a curcuit around it next month). I didn't see a soul during my three and a half days walk in the southern park of the Snowdonia National Park last May :) , unless you count the drivers of a car and a van that passed me on a stretch of lane on the 2nd day, and a man in a tractor in a far field on the 3rd day.

Congratulations on completing the first step of your challenge, Stuart, and I hope you achieve the remainder.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:22:08, 19/08/17 »
A good effort. Well done.  O0

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:48:23, 19/08/17 »
Brilliant and well done. O0
Good luck with your other forthcoming achievements

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:02:45, 20/08/17 »
Well done!

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:58:00, 20/08/17 »
Well done to you all. and a nice report of your epic day.

I hope you continue on to your next challenge gaining experience and skills along the way. Keep safe and enjoy the mountains  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:02:01, 21/08/17 »
Congratulations on reaching the top, my first ascent was many years ago, but its not my favourite mountain.
My favourite summit, is certainly not Snowdon, but Carnedd Lewellyn.
The litter problem on Snowdon is becoming a real problem, as are the multitude of unprepared walkers, expecting the cafe to be open in all weather conditions.
You do Snowdon once or twice, and its lure and mystery of the tallest mountain South of Scotland, soon diminishes.

Carnedd Lewellyn will always be a firm favourite, simply because your not alway's guaranteed of reaching its summit, and its always deathly quiet.

Wait a few minutes, most times of the year, and the summit and its views are your own.

Ive had Snowdon to myself, twice, but its not a mountain i get dawn to like a magnet.

Its the highest maybe, but thats its only merit.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:39:59, 21/08/17 »
Congrats on your first ascent of Snowdon, Stuart.  O0

I've only done it once myself, last year, and I was buzzing too. I loved every minute of it. Such a beautiful place from all angles, I think - whether you're on its slopes, the summit or one of the nearby peaks that give such great views of it.  :)

Best wishes for the next stages of your challenge.

stuartpb

« Reply #9 on: 18:02:14, 23/08/17 »
Thank you everyone, very much appreciated :)

I was shocked at how busy Snowdon was. I've been training throughout the summer in the Peak District for Snowdon as I'm a desk jockey who needs to get fitter. It gets busy on Kinder Scout but the summit of Snowdon was packed out! There were even small queues forming on the Pyg Track to get past certain parts. We didn't even bother queuing for the steps up to the trig point. We stood at the side of it and were happy with that. I still massively enjoyed it though and will be going back again. We didn't get time to explore Snowdonia but I will be going back as soon as I can to get some walking in, what we did see was really stunning!! I've just got back off a camping trip with my family, then I'm out again on Friday on the voluntary camping project for 1 night but come Saturday afternoon I'll be planning the return trip to Snowdonia ;D

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:14:50, 23/08/17 »
Try another less busy mountain.
You have successfully climbed Snowdon, how about the other magnificent mountains in the National Park.
Snowdon is just too busy, and when you have queue to approach a mountains summit, that's the time to look elsewhere.
There's Y Garn, in the Glyders, said by many well known walkers and authors, to have the best view in the whole of Snowdonia.

An ascent of the main Glyder plateau, via Y Gribyn.

Carnnedd Lewellyn from Cwm Eigiau, or from Gerlan.

I can just about remember Snowdon, back in the early 1970s, when the mountain was fairly quiet, and the flea pit, Clough Williams Ellis cafe, where one could smell the sweat of other walkers as one entered.

I took a friend up to the summit, four weeks ago, and the queue to set foot on the trig point, was simply ridiculous.

The weather was gorgeous, and i wanted to take him up Lewellyn, but he insisted on Snowdon, so i relented.

Search for pastures new, now that you have climbed Snowdon, and if the mountains lure, is that great, return to it out of season.
« Last Edit: 19:19:04, 23/08/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

stuartpb

« Reply #11 on: 10:03:27, 31/08/17 »
Thanks  :)

More than anything I just want to explore Snowdonia, have a week there and see as much of it as I can. It was the first time I'd been and was gobsmacked by what I saw! It reminded me of some of the places we'd been to in Germany, we lived there in the 70's and early 80's as my dad was posted there with the army. I want my kids to share the experience of Snowdonia too, I think they'll love it!

Tyldesley Paul

« Reply #12 on: 17:49:41, 18/09/17 »
I started walking again in May after a gap of 30 years, inspired by that fact I had reached 50 and was so unfit I passed out and hit my head on a wall when running a 100 yards with my dog. Yesterday we walked up Snowdon and although it wasn't quick (4 hours 5 mins round trip) it made me believe the walking was having a positive effect on my life. I would love suggestions for what to try next.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:00:32, 18/09/17 »
Walked the Bull Bay to Porth Wen brickworks section of the ACP yesterday.
Just my luck, but a group of very frisky horses, gave me a cause for concern, as i had to leg it, big time, to reach the safety of the style near the cottage, overlooking Porth Wen bay.
I think i startled them, by appearing from know where, but they went in all directions at some speed.

You have conquered the big one, now experience walking at its very finest, the Amlwch side of the Anglesey Coastal path.

Apart from the wildlife, the views out to sea were pretty good, with the Isle of Man very clear on the horizon.

Afterwards, i explored the inner workings of the Parys Mountain copper mines, just up the road from Bull Bay.

In all, a great afternoon out, in the first decent bit of weather this September.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy