Author Topic: Trip Report: Hamps and Manifold Valleys including Thor's Cave  (Read 2030 times)

harry_keogh

Writing up my old Dovedale walk gave me the craving to do another walk around that area - and as we'd had a lot of rainfall a few days previous, I was looking for a route that wouldn't have turned into a mudbath. Turned out to be a great walk and Thor's cave really exceeded my expectations. The only downside was I somehow did my knee in - ended up swollen in front just below the kneecap. Seems to be getting a bit better now though.

Full Trip Report: Hamps and Manifold Valleys

adalard

• Veteran Member
Really enjoyed that, Harry.  O0  I've have done a bit of walking around there but not all of the same areas you covered. We were really impressed by Thor's Cave too - it was on a much grander scale than we were expecting.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
I particularly like the photo of the Manifold Valley from Thor's Cave  -  the golden-tinged light is beautiful    :)    Hope your knee is better soon

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Lovely O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Haven#t walked the Manifold valley for some years (Waterhouses to Wetton) so I have to put this on the list of walks for next year.

Can you still drive through the old railway tunnel somewhere north of Wetton?

pleb

• Veteran Member
Excellent! Never done it myself, but have seen Thors cave years ago I think.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

robrymond

Good report. It always amazes me that in the H&S world we live in now, that Thors Cave with its very polished rock entrance hasn't been closed to the public. Several accidents have happened here but I guess it'd be a shame if they did.

Murphy

Living on the doorstep if this area, its easy to take it for granted.. Tends to become an area to walk when we don't feel like travelling. Must appreciate it more......enjoyed your report.....thank you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy