Author Topic: The North Downs Way - April 2018  (Read 4066 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
The North Downs Way - April 2018
« on: 21:06:46, 06/05/18 »
I recently spent 7 days walking the North Downs Way between Farnham and Dover and have now added it to my website. (video still to come), feel free to "like/share" etc etc and point out any errors...

http://www.brians-walks.co.uk/north-downs-way.html

I really enjoyed this walk, the only downside to it possibly being the traffic noise which seemed to be in my ears all the journey but that's understandable given where the walk is situated (maybe earphones if I do it again). It wasn't busy with walkers (apart from the weekend and dog walkers) and the paths were all good and hardly any mud to be found.

People mention a lot of time spent in woodland which is true but in April when I walked it, the bluebells were out in force and very colourful indeed, meaning that the woodland paths for me were more enjoyable to what they might be later in the year.

I would certainly do it again but if I was to compare it to the South Downs Way walk that I did at the same time the previous year, I'd have to say I preferred the SDW more, mainly because you spend more time with open views and more scenery. It's certainly a good walk and is never far away from villages, shops and transport options.

A few photos...

At the start of the North Downs Way in Farnham

Woodland paths would be a common feature on the North Downs Way

St. Martha's Church

The metal Millenium Stones in Gatton park

The wooden cross on Kemsing Down overlooking Kemsing

The Bluebells on the North Downs Way were very colourful

Walking through a rapeseed field before Wrotham

The tree carving in Westfield Wood

The chalk war memorial cross above Lenham

The Battle of Britain memorial near Dover

The end of the North Downs Way at Dover sea front

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: The North Downs Way - April 2018
« Reply #1 on: 20:22:49, 07/05/18 »
A nice selection of photos O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:38:42, 16/06/18 »
Just an update to say that I have now added a video report of my North Downs Way walk, you can watch it here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-IdcJYaiGk

Or to read about it, visit the website at http://www.brians-walks.co.uk/north-downs-way.html
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:54:26, 16/06/18 »
Enjoyed the blog report very much, Bricam.  O0 

Interesting to see all the different sculptures (art and memorials) you passed along the way - I like the Millenium Stones especially. And some beautiful scenery as well, of course. Castle Hill is one of those hills that cries out to be climbed as soon as you see it.  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:31:01, 16/06/18 »
Thanks Bricam. After watching The North Downs video I then watched your Tour du Mont Blanc one. I've managed to do it both ways and it bought back lots of memories. For me, in so many ways the best hike of all!

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:54:20, 16/06/18 »
HI Bricam,
I enjoyed your blog report too.  The pictures tell the story well, and the last day looked really good, something to keep in my back pocket if I'm ever down that way.

Cheers.  O0 O0

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:57:30, 16/09/19 »
Hi Brian. I've come rather late to this topic so I hope a reply is still okay...  :)

I actually read the report on your NDW walk some months ago on your blog well before I discovered this forum. I've just read it again and watched the video, which I thoroughly enjoyed, too.  O0

I live in Kent and have walked all of the Kent NDW, not in one go, but as parts of circular walks, and I've walked much of it many times over. I love the NDW and it was nice to recognise lots of places in the video - once you'd crossed the border from Surrey that is.

I originally came across your blog when I was looking for inspiration prior to my wife and I spending a few days in Surrey. We rented a cottage halfway along the Surrey bit and did some circular walks that included the start at Farnham (as you say, the starting point could be nicer!) and Box Hill.

The only thing I found myself disagreeing with was your comment about traffic noise. Of course, it might simply be that my hearing isn't what it was, but with some obvious exceptions (e.g. the Medway Crossing!), I've rarely noticed any traffic sounds at all. I did wonder if the problem was with the Surrey part, since the NDW isn't that far from the A25/M25. And before I watched the video, I was sure you must have taken the Canterbury branch since that runs quite close to the A2 between Canterbury and Dover. I must say though that you chose my preferred branch because I love the area near Wye and the final clifftop section into Dover is spectacular!

Having said all that, I realise perceived noise is (to an extent) subjective. I just thought it was important to have someone else (i.e. me!) say that for most of its length the NDW is very quiet and peaceful - well, in Kent anyway!  ;)

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy