Author Topic: Atmospheric day on Slieve Binnian  (Read 1575 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Atmospheric day on Slieve Binnian
« on: 20:23:21, 28/08/16 »
With a favourable forecast for the morning I decided to return to Carrick Little to climb Slieve Binnian yesterday. At a height of 747m, Slieve Binnian is the third highest mountain in the Mournes. I followed a clockwise circular route from the car park. I ascended on a good track followed by a path beside the Mourne wall to the south tor summit. I reached the summit 1.5 hours after leaving the car park. I started off in good sunshine before cloud set in as I reached the summit :( . I had my lunch at the summit waiting for the cloud to lift. Within 15-20 minutes, the wind came and blew the clouds away and the sunshine returned O0 . Views opened up of the Silent Valley, Slievenaglogh and the western Mournes. After photos, I made my way to the North tor via the back castles. I think this is my favourite walk in the Mournes. All of the 7'7's could be seen and upon reaching the North tor views opened up of Ben Crom reservoir. I followed a good track beside the Annalong valley as I returned to the car park. Total distance was around 11km, taking 4 hours approximately.

Lamagan to Hares castle from ascent of Binnian:

Half of Silent Valley:

Silent Valley but no Slievenaglogh:

A window appears:

Half of Slievenaglogh:

The clearing of the mist:

Slievenaglogh comes into view:

Slieve Muck from Binnian:

Silent Valley, Slievenaglogh from Binnian:

Slieve Donard:

Donard, Lamagan from south tor summit:

Meelbeg framed between the back castles:

The back castles:

Meelmore to Slieveloughshanngh, Doan, Ben Crom from the back castles:

Brandy pad, Bernagh, Meelmore, Meelbeg:

Ben Crom reservoir backed by Ben Crom and Bernagh:

Blue lough:

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Re: Atmospheric day on Slieve Binnian
« Reply #1 on: 18:43:16, 30/08/16 »
Enjoyed looking at those pics Henry. Almost felt as though I was there myself.  O0

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:40:36, 30/08/16 »
Thanks Penygadair;IMHO Slieve Binnian is the best walk in the Mournes, a good path, the reservoirs at either end of the ridge, back castles, the views of the 7'7's as well as the western Mournes, it really is something else :)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:41:50, 31/08/16 »
Mmm. Would like to do that. 2017 maybe? Will have to talk to the Dublin inlaws and see if I can get a free roof over my head for a few days.
I'm assuming that a quick burst up the M1 will put me close.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:30:57, 31/08/16 »
Hi Penygadair, using google maps 1 hour and 51 minutes is the time required from Dublin to Newcastle. Thereafter add 15 minutes to drive to Carrick Little from Newcastle. The full circuit can be completed in 4-5 hours including admiring the view from the south tor. Carrick Little car park only holds 15 cars so you will probably park on the roadside as I did last Saturday. When I completed the walk, there was over 30 cars parked roadside, unless you pick a week-day. Let me know if you need any further advice. Thanks, Henry

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy