Author Topic: 32 years old and just been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of the big toe.  (Read 6282 times)

Asomodai

Hello all.

I am feeling pretty distressed!

I discovered today after an MRI result that I have degenerative cartilage in my right foot 1st metatarsal. This was probably always going to happen eventually but it was made prominent after acute trauma (Playing indoor football on hard court). I am awaiting a further X-Ray and referral to a podiatrist.

I am starting to panic about what I can and cannot do, I already have been doing things to slow degeneration (Thinking this was a sesamoid injury), such as extra wide Trail runner footwear with thick inner soles, an orthotic to relieve the pain which to an extent has worked. I am planning to lose some weight as well.

I have only in the past few years started up long distance coastal walking. I took a break from it last year, but I love nothing more then walking 30+ miles per day 7+ days in succession whilst carrying camping gear. I usually pack lightweight (About 7-8kg).

Basically I am wondering if I would be able to continue doing this without progressing the degeneration and causing further pain? I am worried I wont be able to climb the steep cliffs of the South West Coastal path. I have already come to terms with giving up football and other high impact sports. Have you been able to prevent Rigidus Hallux despite having Osteoarthritis? There is already a small bump on the side of my metatarsal, though it is not painful at the moment. Would walking poles or a stick help in this instance?

Thank you for listening!

« Last Edit: 22:02:45, 02/03/18 by Asomodai »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Very sorry to hear your news Asomodai but asking a group of strangers on line about your health...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Yep better off asking the physio at the hospital.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Asomodai

Very sorry to hear your news Asomodai but asking a group of strangers on line about your health...

Unfortunately my doctor was not able to advise me on the ramifications of long distance coastal walking.

I am just wondering if other people have continued coastal walking long distances whilst suffering from Osteoarthritis of the big toe successfully.

Hopefully the podiatrist will help me, though it may be some time before getting a referral and appointment.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
I have severe arthritis on my left foot as well as plantar fascists.  Exercise  in general and in my case particularly lng distance walking has had no adverse affect.  In fact if anything getting properly fitted for boots and doing the exercise has led to less pain. Nw I do not know if that is down to the exercise or the boots and the orthotic insoles but it works for me. My physio told me I can have pain and drugs with arthritis or pain and good health it was up to me which I chose.  I chose walking and losing weight. I still get severe twinges but as far as I am aware I would get those anyway. But I feel better health wise,  mentally and as if I am in control of my pain so to speak. Plus I have seen bits of our country I never knew existed.  Not many people outside this forum and it's like realise just how wonderful and uninhabited our so called overcrowded Island is. Get guidance  from a professional and if you can get out there and do it. You may have a time when you are unable to, but get some memories stored up for that time.

Asomodai

I have severe arthritis on my left foot as well as plantar fascists.  Exercise  in general and in my case particularly lng distance walking has had no adverse affect.  In fact if anything getting properly fitted for boots and doing the exercise has led to less pain. Nw I do not know if that is down to the exercise or the boots and the orthotic insoles but it works for me. My physio told me I can have pain and drugs with arthritis or pain and good health it was up to me which I chose.  I chose walking and losing weight. I still get severe twinges but as far as I am aware I would get those anyway. But I feel better health wise,  mentally and as if I am in control of my pain so to speak. Plus I have seen bits of our country I never knew existed.  Not many people outside this forum and it's like realise just how wonderful and uninhabited our so called overcrowded Island is. Get guidance  from a professional and if you can get out there and do it. You may have a time when you are unable to, but get some memories stored up for that time.

From what I gather, you already had severe arthritis and you began walking after that diagnosis? How long has it been since the diagnosis til now?

Thanks for sharing your experience! I guess I need some positive stories.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I have it in both my big toes after 25 years in Army boots and an injury to one toe.  About 5 years ago it got painful and I had steroid injections for a while but now I no longer get any pain.  I've walked all my life and done a few long distance walks, including the Pennine Way and Offa's Dyke.  No reason why it should affect your walking.
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
I started walking after heart valve replacement as a result of the cardiovascular physiotherapy.  That was when I discovered a serious problem with my foot. The physio recommended exercise and getting properly fitted footwear, so continued walking.  I have done the PW , Cleveland Way, Viking Way the Camino Frances amongst others. I do get pain but I am active, my heart is healthier than it has ever been and I put up with my foot.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
I have it in my left big toe joint. I have a bone spur on the top and get occasional pain. I tried a custom made orthotic which made no difference at all, what did and has helped though is buying a pair of Altberg boots 3 years ago, the extra stiffness means the toe doesn’t bend so much. They are quite heavy so I’m not so nimble footed now, but I get very little trouble with it and my walking is pretty much unaffected.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Glyno

• Veteran Member

I really don't find it unusual for someone to come onto a walking forum to ask likeminded folk for help or advise about a condition affecting his/her hobby.

@Asomodai, sorry I can't be of help but good luck.

Flanners

I have it in my ankle after a bad break from a motorcycle accident a fair few years ago, I road cycle and walk a lot which does cause pain and discomfort at times. I find that exercise and manipulation helps as do the following daily supplements of Tumeric, fish oil, rosehip and glucosamine

Mel

• Veteran Member
Thread hijack...

Mmm.. turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory isn't it Flanners?  Cheers for that - I'm off to make a curry and cure my tendon problem  O0

Back on topic ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
 It is possible to walk long distances without the big toe so if things get too bad its always worth considering amputation.I had gout that was very painful a few years ago and would have considered having the toe amputated if the pain had not cleared up.

jontea

• Veteran Member
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Jac

• Veteran Member
Have a read of my blog  O0
http://johntrowsdale.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/the-cheilectomy.html?m=1

Wow Jon, that is the most down to earth and positive medical blog I have ever read. Can only be helpful and confidence boosting to anyone (me) who becoming worried about 'big toe joint' pains. Thank you
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy