Author Topic: Garmin Maps for New Zealand - Big Let Down  (Read 4506 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Garmin Maps for New Zealand - Big Let Down
« on: 00:01:41, 04/02/19 »
I am getting near my trip to New Zealand so I logged on to Garmin to get some maps for my Etrex.  Talk about disappointing!  There is no equivalent to the Birdseye or Kompass system of downloadable maps - they would have you buy an SD card of all of Australia and New Zealand for the princely sum of 229 NZD.  Heck - I only want a few bits of North Island!

I have tried download Open Source maps for my Garmin but with limited success.  My favourite site http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ has gone into a terminal sulk and refuses to offer a download - apparently it has been like that since last October.  I have tried NZ's own version http://nzopengps.org/ but all I could get was a crude topograhic map and while my garmin says it is installed and enabled, the screen shows no features other than boundaries and roads on a black background - not a lot of use if the contours are black.

Fortunately a ViewRanger subscription to the Linz Maps of NZ is only 133 credits for the time I will need it so I will have to go with that.  However, my data roaming charges are stupid money per Mb so I will have to jump from WiFi to Wifi to download the maps I need when I know where I am going.  Then again, I could do it the old fashioned way!
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin Maps for New Zealand - Big Let Down
« Reply #1 on: 08:33:47, 04/02/19 »
Then again, I could do it the old fashioned way!

That's what I was going to suggest! Paper maps scoring over technology, who'd have thunk it?

(as he ducks for cover.)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:43:13, 04/02/19 »
That's what I was going to suggest! Paper maps scoring over technology, who'd have thunk it?

(as he ducks for cover.)
Tbh what I have seen of the Linz paper map does not thrill me either. Hope I can find something better.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:36:06, 04/02/19 »
Have you had a look on the Talky Toaster web site for New Zealand.? They do have some but I have no idea if they are detailed enough
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:09:20, 04/02/19 »
Have you had a look on the Talky Toaster web site for New Zealand.? They do have some but I have no idea if they are detailed enough
I did when I was looking for a free map. There is an Kiwi toaster site as well. I may have to bite the bullet and pay for it.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:36:59, 05/02/19 »
I have been looking at maps ahead of our visit out there at he end of the year.  So far the best I have come accross is HEMA.

https://dash4it.co.uk/hema-new-zealand-handy-atlas-spiral..html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrM2b9Kil4AIV77vtCh2Mgga_EAQYBSABEgL34fD_BwE

I have yet to purchase.one though.  So can not vouch for the detail.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:24:20, 05/02/19 »
On the electronic side of things, Edd is using Strava to record his activities out in NZ.  I then log in and can see what he is up to.  Today he has been up The hooker track on Mount Sealy.  Hopefully he will post some pictures later. Great App.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:52:20, 05/02/19 »
Ok so I have spent some time on the interweb his evening.  Reading on the Hens website they may be able all you need.  Enough reading for now, take a look here and let me know what you think. 

https://www.hemamaps.com/plan/trip-preparation/how-to-prepare-for-new-zealands-great-walks

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:42:23, 05/02/19 »
Been talking to No. 1 son - he reckons LINZ maps are what I need for walking, they are 1:50k (cannot find any 25k).  Rural rambling as we know it does seem to exist in NZ as there is no right to roam or PROWs as we know them  The walkable trails are well signed apparently so maps are not essential and DOC offices are a good source of trail info and maps.  LINZ topo 50 link -  https://www.linz.govt.nz/land/maps/topographic-maps/topo50-maps

You can get LINZ maps on ViewRanger but the site is a lousy source for walks apart from the Trails.  For example I have a few days in New Plymouth and VR has nothing suitable to offer at all - Gpsies.com, Wkiloc and NZ websites are better sources.
Could not make head nor tail of the HEMA link for suitable walking maps.  Talkytoaster does have downloadable maps for Garmin for £25 - not sure about the quality.  The NZ open maps project has a downloadable topo map which works in BaseCamp and can be exported to my Etrex but for some reason, although it enabled on my gps, nothing shows on the screen.
« Last Edit: 23:05:29, 05/02/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 06:39:20, 06/02/19 »
Which version of BaseCamp are you using?  The latest is v4.7 and it has a bug that prevents proper installation of maps. The solution is to revert to 4.6.2 or grab the .img file directly from the map provider and place that in the Garmin folder on your GPS.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:01:26, 06/02/19 »
Which version of BaseCamp are you using?  The latest is v4.7 and it has a bug that prevents proper installation of maps. The solution is to revert to 4.6.2 or grab the .img file directly from the map provider and place that in the Garmin folder on your GPS.
I am running 4.70 so I tried copying the .imag files on to the SD card as you suggested - there were 109 of them.  After that the Etrex and Basecamp refused to talk to each other and the Etex only acknowledged to the existence of the first 5 .imag files even though my SD card is only half full.  I could not be selective about which files I copied as there is no way of telling what is on each file.  Anyhoo, I deleted the .imag files and as I did it the Etrex and Basecamp suddenly started seeing each other again.  I think I will stick to ViewRanger and WiFi hopping to store the appropriate LINZ maps for off line use.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:39:50, 06/02/19 »
There should only be one .img file, you mention .imag files  :-\
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:41:19, 06/02/19 »
There should only be one .img file, you mention .imag files  :-\
When I looked in the file I set up to unpack the installation software from http://nzopengps.org/ there were 109 .imag files!  There was one labelled NZopentopo Add On and a load of .imag files with with sequential numbers.  I installed tried the topo imag file and that gives me topo data when viewing a route  in Basecamp but while it is also present and enabled on  my SD card there is zilch on the gps screen apart from the route.  The routable NZ file from the same source does install and display on the screen.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:08:48, 06/02/19 »
This http://www.nzopengps.org/public/Direct_gmapsupp/ is the link you need for the .img file  O0

It is a zipped file and extracts to a single .img file that needs to be placed in the Garmin folder on your GPS.  Looks like quite a good map.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:42:50, 06/02/19 »
This http://www.nzopengps.org/public/Direct_gmapsupp/ is the link you need for the .img file  O0

It is a zipped file and extracts to a single .img file that needs to be placed in the Garmin folder on your GPS.  Looks like quite a good map.
Thanks
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy