Author Topic: Rory Stewart  (Read 2640 times)

tyreon

Rory Stewart
« on: 10:45:45, 16/06/19 »

I see the MP claims to have walked 6,000 miles across Afghanistan in 2002. Unaided. Just with backpack. That's quite some walk. Do you believe it?

Adam Hart Davis once said Roman soldiers walked 30 miles a day wearing just their sandals whilst carrying all their provisions on their backs. Fact or fiction?

Sometime back some ex SAS backtracked Lawrence of Arabia's claim he had traversed some ME journey in X days. It turned out a fantasy...unless he had an access to a Ferrari-d Hummer.

Whats with the bigging-up these days? The bigger the claim the bigger the book sales and radio time? Or is it just me that has just become that little more skeptical or claims I should just accept??

humansnail

Re: Rory Stewart
« Reply #1 on: 11:02:39, 16/06/19 »

He does look a bit like one of those wirey super human people that I enviously see effortlessly running past me when I'm sweating and huffing and puffing my way up a hill, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. If it is true, it's a herculian effort!

But speaking of "puffing", it's his claim of not feeling the effects of the opium that he smoked at the wedding party as a result of walking 30 miles a day that I find hard to believe! ;D

tyreon

« Reply #2 on: 11:33:07, 16/06/19 »

LOL. Perhaps he didn't inhale! (Bill didn't...or so he said)

I woz kinda wondering whether the bigger the promo the bigger the accomplishments our leaders tell.

Another 'Only Connect' connection might be that association with public schools and office. Standard state school kids always achieve less cos they don't shout their achievements or big them up. Low expectations I expect ;)

Grandstanding medals are always embellished with publicity.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:44:31, 16/06/19 »

Afghanistan isn't 6000 miles wide.

Edit - his walk actually took in Iran, Pakistan, India and Nepal as well as Afghanistan. Quite a walk!

..and please don't let politics colour your judgement of Rory Stewart's achievement!
« Last Edit: 11:49:54, 16/06/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:55:34, 16/06/19 »
 He walked from Herat to Kabul which certainly isn't 6000miles.The distances he talked about are certainly doable and I have achieved similar distances myself,albeit not in a war zone.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:59:43, 16/06/19 »
I know nothing of Rory Stewart except that he's a politian, therefore by definition a lying [censored]***d.
Did he actually walk across those countries or travel across them? There is a difference.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:33:18, 16/06/19 »
I'd like to think he mostly walked it, it wouldn't bother me too much if he had a lift here and there. I remember seeing a documentary about if, can't remember on what channel though?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:49:05, 16/06/19 »
He walked from Herat to Kabul which certainly isn't 6000miles.The distances he talked about are certainly doable and I have achieved similar distances myself,albeit not in a war zone.

His walk in Afghanistan, about which he wrote a book, took 32 days and covered 600 miles.

But he also walked in Iran, Pakistan, India and Nepal. As to whether he covered 6000 miles, I have no idea, but I have no reason to disbelieve him.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:11:35, 16/06/19 »
Its been physically proven that some of Lawrence's claims, in his Seven Pillars of Wisdom, were sightly ex agerated.
His personal hand written diary, is in the British Museum Library, and some of his claims, are a bit overoptimistic, but it cannot take away the fact, that his exploits in the Syrian desert, were pretty exceptional.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:30:49, 16/06/19 »
I have read his book about his walk.  A very good read IMHO and his adventures along the way show that he is quite an extraordinary individual, capable of tolerating more than a little hardship and having buckets of sang froid
Solvitur Ambulando

tyreon

« Reply #10 on: 17:24:10, 16/06/19 »

I saw his walking garb in the Daily Mail today. Seemed as like some touring cyclist adventurers who post pictures of their bikes whilst crossing deserts: pictures of bikes with sand up to their hubs!! Strange.

I think it was the Crane brothers who wrote about their epic climb of Kilamanjaro many moons ago. A icture was posted withthem celebrating their achievement with bikes aloft. Their tales of daring do had many captivated...until later I came across a book by the later Dennis Hill(Idi Amin fame?)who pointed out that the climb of Kilamanjaro was often done by the local schoolgirls on schooltrips. I think John Merrill somewhat buried their daring do-s when he compared his walking feats with some understatement. Later still I believe the Crane bros fessed up and admitted embarrassment at their high exploits.

I guess the stories make good reading ;)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:54:16, 16/06/19 »
I think John Merrill somewhat buried their daring do-s when he compared his walking feats with some understatement. Later still I believe the Crane bros fessed up and admitted embarrassment at their high exploits.

John Merrill has done an incredible amount of walking over the years.

I always remember his advice on equipment...he was a big believer in nylon cagoules and cotton t shirts!...when I’m in danger of spending chunky money on latest “must have” walking kit.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:01:25, 16/06/19 »
I saw his walking garb in the Daily Mail today.
IIRC, he did his Afghan trip in local clothing to stay low profile and slept with local families.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #13 on: 19:05:17, 16/06/19 »
A good word to describe politicians of all persuasions is "hypolibast"

Check it out in Viz Profanisaurus.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:18:46, 16/06/19 »
A good word to describe politicians of all persuasions is "hypolibast"

Check it out in Viz Profanisaurus.
I seem to recall Mr Stewart did his trip before he became an MP so had nothing to gain from it at the time.  He was also by all accounts a successful governor in Iraq post war.  His bio is here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Stewart.   It is long but if you plough through it you will see he has been active on a number of issues close to walkers interests. For example, fighting to save one of the Air Ambulances that serves the  North Pennines and securing 5 years of extra funding for National Parks and AONBs.  I have met him in person, he is a far more genuine guy than many politicians.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy