Author Topic: First Time Walker ....100km London to Brighton Ultra Challange  (Read 4450 times)

Poppet

Good Afternoon All

Thank you Kinky Boots , Jimbob , Bigfoot Mike for the wonderful advice and info.

I will train hard and do whatever i need to do to get better and fitter at walking , yes it will be hard, yes there will be pain but i cannot and will not let the charity i am walking for down......I just need to protect and care for the feet
I do not underestimate the gravity of the task i have taken on and I will be out walking in all weathers and will buy whatever i need to put me in the best possible position to complete the task.

I will update you as i progress and will certainly have more questions as the days get closer.
I really really do appreciate all the help and advice , without sites like walkingforum i would certainly not have the knowledge or nohow to carry such a challenging task
Thank you all very much
Regards
Poppet

Ronin83

A quick note. I've walked in quite a few different shoes/boots and I can honestly say the moab 2s are one on the most uncomfortable for me. Just because they're good, doesn't mean they're right for everyone.
When I tried them on they felt amazing, but then I walked in them a few times. Feet boiling hot and soles very painful after a short walk. Never had that before.
The heel felt too high, putting out my whole posture too.
Going straight to over 10 miles is gonna cause some aching feet, but If it was really bad id6say try some other boots. Maybe borrow some or get some ex army boots for cheap just to test it out, see what feels different.
Personally, so far, Lowa renegades are the best.

Alternatively a growing number of people nowdays are using trail runners which are definitely more squishy and cushioned and soft. They are infinitely more comfy, but may break down quicker and not handle certain terrain well. Also less protection.

A good idea is to take both when u go for it.

RyanX81

Hi so did you do this walk in the end? If so how did it go?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
For such a long challenge walk, all on hard impact tarmac, the best footwear would be comfortable, well cushioned trainers, with high quality sports socks, like a twin skin 1000miler.

Signing up, or entering such a long challenge event, on a whim, is most unwise, and it would be interesting to hear from him, how far he managed to travel, i guess around 35-40miles.

My past experience on such long challenge distances, was for a first timer, to be excited and full of trepidation, but choosing such a mammoth distance, on such a hard surface,is unwise.

I recon the challenge was a step too far, but saying that, i did accomplish a tough 54miler  across the Brecon Beacons, being green and a total novice, gun ho, up for a challenge, entering a long walk for the fun of it.

That was after several years, of regular training over the same terrain, covering shorter distances of around twenty to thirty miles, but i can remember how exhausted i felt after completing the walk.

Years ago, tromping along hard surfaces wearing sometimes heavy cumbersome boots was murder on the legs., especially when you pass the 50-60mile barrier, its then mind of matter, sheer torture until you reach the end.

Whilst attempting my various LDWA 100, once your body has passed the 50mile barrier, your so tired, that the only thing keeping you going, was your endurance and ability to keep moving whilst your body told you to rest.

The further you went, the more tired and fatigued you became, with the danger, that if you had any self doubt about your ability to continue, something in your head, would tell you to pull out, quit, and the urge to do so, when so tired, out on your legs, was huge.

When your 100% sure of the terrain you will be covering, choice of footwear is crucial, especially on mile after relentless mile of concrete and tarmac.

You need very comfortable, lightweight footwear, because after all, the more weight on your legs, the more strain and eventual tiredness you will experience later in the walk, and the London to Brighton is a long one.

If the Challenge Walk was on a mixture of mountains and main roads, then maybe a pair of boots would be the order of the day, but for tarmac, comfortable trainers.
« Last Edit: 11:24:57, 13/01/22 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Hi so did you do this walk in the end? If so how did it go?

As far as I can tell, the 2020 London to Brighton 100k ultra didn't take place.

RunABC.co.uk only has results for 2018, 2019 and 2021, while london2brighton.livetrail.run only has results for 2015 through to 2019 and 2021.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

RyanX81

Ah yes cos of Covid. Makes sense.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy