Author Topic: Brecon Becons in February  (Read 5477 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Brecon Becons in February
« Reply #30 on: 16:32:39, 30/01/19 »
You may well need spikes or possibly crampons if the forecast snow comes to fruition in the next day or so. I’m still unsure yet it all depends on swmbos work, but otherwise from the Taff Fechan upper car park.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 17:36:58, 30/01/19 »
That will be the brecon beacons then.  O0

I am hoping to walk the horse shoe. Anti clockwise starting from the car park SO042164. My planed route is 20k and 800m of ascents.
That will be a tough one, especially if the snow is more than a few centimetres.  A friend and me did the four peaks from down near Blaen Y Glyn & my legs still shake when I think about it.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:27:27, 30/01/19 »
I know it well, surprised you didn’t pick the car park a bit closer to the filter house though. Are you including Fan y Big or just gap road then Cribyn and so on?
If the higher car park is accessible then I may indeed park up there.  I am heading east to Craig y Fan Ddu first , then walking around the edge to Pen y Fan, probably missing out Cribyn.  Last time I walked the horse shoe in winter it was from the higher car park and we went clockwise. -14 wind chill that day, but no snow. 

Would you recommend crampons or just spikes for the route with snow?  I don't recall it being particularly steep.  All relative I guess.  I will carry my axe either way. 

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:23:11, 30/01/19 »
The path up to Graig Fan Ddu is much better now it’s been regraded and I’ve gone up there in just boots in snow with no problems. Having said that it’s worth taking both as if the forecast holds true there will be up to 20cm and it will freeze hard, but it’s the Beacons so anything could happen  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 22:09:54, 30/01/19 »
The path up to Graig Fan Ddu is much better now it’s been regraded and I’ve gone up there in just boots in snow with no problems. Having said that it’s worth taking both as if the forecast holds true there will be up to 20cm and it will freeze hard, but it’s the Beacons so anything could happen  O0

Have sent a PM Phil.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 22:40:21, 30/01/19 »
BuzyG / Phil, where would you walk from on Saturday? I'll be in Abergavenny and then in Brecon, but a bit worried about the roads being closed. And also do you need crampons or anything?
Looks like a good covering of frozen snow.  That will require something on your feet for decent grip micro spikes /crampons or both and an ice axe, for safety.  Plus a healthy set of legs and lungs. 

Can not tell from your profile.  You may be a 26 year old elite athlete like my son, who just turns up and does such things without any prior preparation. (I love him realy)

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:18:56, 31/01/19 »
Great photos guys.  Fingers crossed we get some proper snow.
Looks like proper snow is on its way. O0 Seems to be forecast more for south Wales/south west England. Might be that 4x4 vehicles would be a bonus just to get to the Beacons in the first place....
edit : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47071846
« Last Edit: 13:23:43, 31/01/19 by GinAndPlatonic »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:47:17, 31/01/19 »
Looks like proper snow is on its way. O0 Seems to be forecast more for south Wales/south west England. Might be that 4x4 vehicles would be a bonus just to get to the Beacons in the first place....
edit : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47071846
Our fine highways agency will have that lot cleared by Saturday.  I hope ;)

Front wheel drive skinny tyres and a shovel with have to do.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 21:08:22, 31/01/19 »
Our fine highways agency will have that lot cleared by Saturday.  I hope ;)

Front wheel drive skinny tyres and a shovel with have to do.
Where theres a wheel, thers a way....

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 23:08:45, 02/02/19 »
Fantastic walk today.  An early start from Cornwall, meant I arrived around 8:30am . Unfortunately Phil had to re jig his day and was a few hours ahead.  Happily that meant I received a road condition warning and parked up safely a mile or so further down from the planned start point. 

Other walkers were doing the same and I joined a chap planning the same walk.  We headed up the road and cut off left onto the forest track.  The snow was less deep than I was expecting, which boded well decent progress.  We climbed up to the ridge at the end of the Forrest track and made fast progress up to Corn du.. and on to Pen Y Fan.  Busy, but Les busy than last time I was up there, we stopped breifly for a cuppa and a bite to eat.   The run down from the top was great fun, sliping and sliding in the  snow, ice axe out wide expecting at any moment to be on my butt. Happily we both remained upright and after the slog up and  down Cribyn, I was looking forward to the slightly shorter final climb of the day up to Fan Y Big, having not done that top before.

It was well worth the effort and as we continued around the rim, the views back toward the earlier peaks just got better and better.  The now Blue sky adding the final perfect shine to an unforgettable day in the hills. The breathtaking winter views continued all the way to Craig y Fan Ddu, were we decended to theTaff Trail. 

One final unplanned treat lay in wait, as we headed along the lanes back to the car park. Pentwyn Reservoir,  normally mearly glanced from the car, presented a final photo opportunity, as the setting sun glowed orange on the snow covered far bank.

That one goes down as one of the best walks I have ever completed. O0
« Last Edit: 13:39:01, 03/02/19 by BuzyG »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 06:32:23, 03/02/19 »
Well done Buzy, that bit of road sure was icy wasn’t it, glad you had a good day  O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 10:44:04, 03/02/19 »
Sounds perfect & with the sun out too ! :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 23:20:05, 03/02/19 »
Here is a link to a few pictures from this weekend.  Hope they do it justice.  (I am yet to work out how to post here.)

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=112065

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 07:24:12, 04/02/19 »
Lovely photos, Buzy G. How I hanker to get into the mountains when I see snow like that!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 11:59:37, 04/02/19 »
I used to be in that frame of mind, when i saw fresh snow in the mountains, but Ive discovered traversing deep snow, is tiring and energy sapping, it almost spoils a great day in the hills.
Easy snow conditions of around a foot in depth, is OK, but last week i was in snow above my knees for around three miles, and it was a damn nuisance, and there was no escaping it, the snow was of this depth for miles around.
It turns what is usually an easy walk, into something far harder.
Had it not been for my friend wanting to try out a new pair of winter boots, i would have called it a day far earlier.
A walk of only around six miles felt like something over twenty.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy