Author Topic: Sony cybershot?  (Read 5311 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Sony cybershot?
« Reply #15 on: 12:29:47, 28/02/19 »
Bought one from Currys yesterday. My card from the samsung works in it, good news.

Just looked at my personal bank balance (separate from the joint, household one). Car insurance, breakdown cover and residents parking permit all coming up for renewal very soon. Sigh!  :'(

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:01:37, 28/02/19 »
I hope you are happy with it, I do like mine.  :)
It wont "crop" images!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:44:39, 28/02/19 »
I used to have a Cybershot.  Had it for ages and was generally happy with the results.  Unfortunately, during the last year of it's life, it was held together with tape after I dropped it on a hard surfaced path! :o
I was shocked that it still worked at all!lol

I had a Canon summat-or-other a couple of years ago (Can't remember without looking).  Great zoom when I can't get near enough to the subject (birds, especially).
Mostly happy with the results, although I don't tend to fiddle with the settings when I should.  For ease, I leave it on the auto mode all the time :-[

***Happiness is only a smile away***

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:30:38, 28/02/19 »
Enjoy the camera Pleb - its great having new toys!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:21:23, 01/03/19 »
It wont "crop" images!

I've never tried to do that on the camera. If you download the Play Memories software you can edit your pics on a pc. Or a tablet, I used to use my tablet a few years ago.
Hate will never win

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:55:40, 01/03/19 »
I've never tried to do that on the camera. If you download the Play Memories software you can edit your pics on a pc. Or a tablet, I used to use my tablet a few years ago.

Sony PlayMemories is a pain! The wretched camera won't let me download my photos without it installed on the computer! I hate being forced to install software I don't want. For cropping, etc., I prefer Pickpic freeware.

I've found a solution for the wishy-washy photos produced by my Sony WX60, as I detailed in post #8 on this thread on 18 Feb.

I searched online for free photo enhancement software. I don't want to use an online one, and more importantly for me it had to be a one-click tool, something like you get in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, because I don't want to be fiddling about setting sliders for all sorts of different things.

What I eventually found was PhotoCleaner http://www.photocleaner.com/download.html

You open the software, browse in it for one of your folders of photos, select a picture and open it, which the program then displays almost full screen.
Next you simply click on a button 'Enhance Picture', and you see your photo change before your eyes in a couple of seconds.
There are buttons at the top to toggle between 'Original' and 'Result', then you can decide if you want to save the result or not. You can change the file name or you can leave it as it is which will overwrite the original.

I am very pleased with the results, it really sharpens my pictures up, removes the dull cloudiness from them and strengthens the colours. Greens are perhaps a little bit too garish, but I will try adjusting the sliders later. You can only do one photo at a time, and the window of your folder contents is small so with a big folder you have to scroll down each time you select another photo. There are shortcuts such as ctrl+O and ctrl+S which help speed things a little.

I hope this might be of interest to some people.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:08:23, 01/03/19 »
Sony PlayMemories is a pain! The wretched camera won't let me download my photos without it installed on the computer! I hate being forced to install software I don't want. For cropping, etc., I prefer Pickpic freeware.

I haven't had any problems using the Play Memories software, I can also use the software that came with the pc if I want (can't think of the name of it!).
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:14:53, 01/03/19 »
Sony PlayMemories is a pain! The wretched camera won't let me download my photos without it installed on the computer! I hate being forced to install software I don't want.

I don't quite understand: with my Sony RX100 Mk3 I just connect it to the PC USB port and it appears as a mass storage device. I just copy the photos directly to the PC and use whatever graphics editor I choose.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:41:15, 01/03/19 »
I don't quite understand: with my Sony RX100 Mk3 I just connect it to the PC USB port and it appears as a mass storage device. I just copy the photos directly to the PC and use whatever graphics editor I choose.

What he said  O0

I just started using a W830, a nice little camera however I don't really like the buttons on top to switch on or take a photo, I find they are too flush with the camera body meaning it's harder to work, especially wearing gloves as you need to be able to press the small button down.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:43:34, 01/03/19 »

Slight memory lapse on my part, though I am adament that when I first had the camera there was no way I could get my photos off it without installing PlayMemories. I have since uninstalled that.
What happens now when I connect the camera to the pc is that I get 3 additional drives, (F:), (G:) and (H:).
(F:) contains 5 folders and a file, (G:) contains 1 folder and 3 files, and (H:) which is named PMHOME, contains 2 folders and 2 shortcuts.
My photos are in a folder DCIM in (G:), although there is another folder DCIM in (F:).
When I have finished and want to disconnect the camera safely, all 3 folders are listed, though just clicking on (F:) only is sufficient to eject.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:18:13, 01/03/19 »
It could be that one of the Drive's is the cameras actual memory and another Drive could be what's on the memory card inside the camera, or at least that's the way my Garmin works when plugged in  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:01:11, 06/03/19 »
Frankly I'm quite disappointed with my Sony Cybershot DSC-WX60, bought on Amazon for £110 in August 2016.

Colours are dull and washed-out - greens in particular are a greyish-green, while browns are a greyish sandy. Even after giving my images a quick-fix edit they are still mediocre, they really lack the bright colours produced by the Ricoh CX6 that it replaced (ruined by rain). (I also own a dslr that I can compare results with.)

I used my Cybershot WX-60 again yesterday, and one thing I was reminded of that I should have mentioned in my earlier post is that most of the time, as soon as I turn the camera on to take a picture the colours look very washed out on the lcd screen, and that is how the resulting shots look too.

Does that signify anything particular to the experts out there?

An example follows, a picture "straight off the camera" and the same shot after editing:

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:36:11, 06/03/19 »
Can you alter the white balance? If you can you might get better colour balance by trying some of the other settings.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 15:21:37, 07/03/19 »
Thanks for the suggestion. There are different WB settings according to the manual, and I'll experiment with them in due course. I vaguely recall the camera is currently set on Auto WB.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:37:30, 07/03/19 »
Thanks for the suggestion. There are different WB settings according to the manual, and I'll experiment with them in due course. I vaguely recall the camera is currently set on Auto WB.
I auto WB the camera will try to counteract what it sees as a colour cast. If the picture is predominantly green, then auto WB will tend to cut out the green. Using a daylight WB setting would be better.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy