Author Topic: C2C in 2017  (Read 23356 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C in 2017
« Reply #60 on: 14:48:00, 06/12/16 »
right, I think I know where you mean now. What I'll say though is that it might be soggy but it wasn't boggy, if that makes sense? I did the walk in May the first time and I don't recall getting my feet wet, I just walked round any obvious wet patches.

If it's your last day, you may not care how wet it is as you'll soon be finished your adventure, lol. When you reach the busy road, look left and you'll see Whitby and maybe your first sighting of the coast. You may also see it on the very steep hill out of Grosmont but you'll be too bust swearing at the road...or is that just me?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mountaingirl

« Reply #61 on: 16:21:28, 06/12/16 »

I will be taking train home when I finished on the last day. don't want to be sitting in the train with maddy wet boots. :P  In the blog I was reading, they did about the same time as we do and had fab weather, kept them pretty much dry until this point and they encountered deep bog.
As well as being boggy, both AW and Steadman say it is difficult to navigate.
Did you have any problem finding the path? or do you have any tips for finding the path? Once we reached the kissing gate leading to the 'stony wet path between the hedges'' before Rigg Farm, we should be alright ::)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 19:29:13, 06/12/16 »
I had no trouble finding the path when I did it in the May but it was a clear day. You can always take the road if the weather isn't favourable and it doesn't matter how you get from A to B. as I said though, I certainly can't remember it being boggy when I did it, I remember all the bad bits, lol

the stony wet path was quite slippy with mud when I did it in the May but it's not very long and then it's road to Hawsker and the caravan site then the coastal path or Cinder track for the final 3 miles.

If you think about it though, if your boots are muddy at the end, you can always clean them in the sea, lol

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mountaingirl

« Reply #63 on: 13:07:09, 07/12/16 »
yes, always the option to go on the road, which quite a few coasters have done ::)
and also, washing the boots in the sea :P ... hope the tide is in.
We will find out

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 15:08:03, 07/12/16 »
It's compulsory to wash your boots in the sea anyway!  The tide was out at both ends for us! 😅

Are you staying at Intake Farm in Littlebeck, that was one of our favourite B&Bs?

Mountaingirl

« Reply #65 on: 16:32:48, 07/12/16 »
Yes we are. No other option, but good to know it's a good one O0

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 07:46:22, 09/12/16 »
Mountaingirl, we will have access to our luggage on the last day once we get to RHB, I'm sure my OH will hang on long enough for you to change boots and socks. Must say, reading Bricams comment of looking left to see Whitby made me feel all excited again. O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 13:25:57, 11/12/16 »
Mountaingirl, we will have access to our luggage on the last day once we get to RHB, I'm sure my OH will hang on long enough for you to change boots and socks. Must say, reading Bricams comment of looking left to see Whitby made me feel all excited again. O0

I didn't see Whitby on my first c2c due to the haze, infact I didn't actually see the sea until I was in the caravan park at Hawsker and almost on the coast path. Seeing Whitby is nice but it lulls you into a false sense of nearing the end when there's still many miles to go.

When you reach the coast path at Hawsker you have almost exactly 3 miles to the end at Robin Hood's Bay which you'll see in your last mile and a half and you'll see if the tide is in or if you have even further to walk  :D

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mountaingirl

« Reply #68 on: 16:38:47, 27/04/17 »
I'm taking trains to st Bees to meet Deb tomorrow and off we go! If anybody is near us at any points, please come and join us :D

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 16:48:39, 27/04/17 »
Good luck, I hope the weather keeps good for you both.

Enjoy your experience, even the bad bits  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 18:10:04, 27/04/17 »
Good luck to you both, looking forward to hearing about it

Mountaingirl

« Reply #71 on: 21:44:32, 02/05/17 »
We reached Grasmere. It's been fabulous weather, so we could clearly see where we were going O0  and it looks like the sunny weather continues.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 21:59:00, 02/05/17 »
 O0

Great.  Save some please for last two weeks of May when I'm on Pennine Way  ;)
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 11:42:06, 03/05/17 »
Am glad you are getting the good weather as well, in previous years it would appear that late April and early May seem to be dry and not too hot, or it seems that way in my experience.

Doing the Lakes section in good weather is an added bonus, hopefully it stays dry because the middle section can be just a case of head down and get on with it as you trudge through field after field with little scenery.

I have 10 days holiday in June....must try and resist  ;D

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 07:04:13, 08/05/17 »
Morning all. Today will arrive in Richmond. All good so far (I suppose it would be churlish to complain about the sun in my eyes when we set off each morning, so I won't ;D ).Weather has been pretty kind to us, have made some new friends along the way, and some new blisters (and blisters on blisters) but they don't seem to bother hurting anymore! Lakes area was stunning (my first visit-will be going back) but have also loved the moors, where I was appointed as chief bog-tester after we left 9 standards rig;at times I was worried that Kay might get blown away by the wind as well as the views. The sights and sounds of the Spring wildlife has added more interest too, and changes as we move along.

Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy