Author Topic: Your longest day walk?  (Read 4939 times)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: Your longest day walk?
« Reply #15 on: 17:23:19, 14/11/19 »
The longest single day I have done was London to Brighton, 56 miles snd it took 14 hours. I had previously walked London to Brighton twice many years ago when the route was 52 miles, one took me 12 hours and one 10.5 hours, on both occasions I would jog 5  minutes every hour which increases overall pace.
This year in my 70’s I walked the Liberty Trail from Ham Hill to Lyme Regis , 33 miles and iit took 12 .5 hours due to overgrown footpaths and lack of waymarkers.
It's all uphill from here.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:34:42, 14/11/19 »
The longest day walk was 85 miles on the 1985 LDWA 100 in the Yorkshire Dales.Pretty crap ending as I took six hours for the last 15 miles and ended up with a disappointing finish time of 30 hours.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:30:57, 14/11/19 »
The furthest I've walked in a day was 18 miles, when I walked from Hythe to Dover this summer. It included detours enroute and walking around Hythe at the start and Dover at the end.

I've found that the more I walk the further I walk. I suppose one builds up stamina.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:38:58, 14/11/19 »
My longest day walk was 11.5 miles taking in Ingleborough.  My achilles tendon didn't forgive me for weeks.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:00:22, 14/11/19 »
36 miles along canal towpaths SE of Birmingham. I was younger then. A lot younger.

Toughest was the Welsh 3000s, starting at Pen y Pass, finishing at Cwm Eigiau.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:01:28, 14/11/19 »
Did a lot of stupidly long marches in the army, these days about 25 is more than enough.

Stube

« Reply #21 on: 19:08:41, 14/11/19 »
Although I prefer to keep to around 15 miles/day when I'm on my multiday walks carring full camping kit, I usually have at least one 20+ mile day over hard firm ground - never done over 25 miles though.

MarkT

« Reply #22 on: 19:17:28, 14/11/19 »
A walk named Camuplodunum - A 25 mile walk all the way around Colchester. Did it May last year taking 8 hours.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:25:36, 14/11/19 »
The longest walk that I remember most was when I decided to hike my first long-distance footpath. I started from Kirk Yetholme and decided to walk to Byrness as a total novice. It was a blistering hot day and I suffered so badly, both feet blistered, one of my big toes bled and I ran out of water. By the time I reached the hostel, my throat was red raw, it was hard to swallow and I felt wrong from head to toe. It was also my most stupid day as well! The second time T hiked the same route a couple of years later and it was just as bad, but this time I experienced strong winds, directly into my face and horizontal rain most of the way as well.  By the time I arrived at  Byreness I was exhausted, totally soaked to the skin, cold, shivering, weak and depressed. I paid my money over and just went to bed!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:57:32, 14/11/19 »
Longest is the 40 miles of the Lyke Wake Walk when I was in my teens. I am a Dirger.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:06:48, 14/11/19 »
It would be over 25 miles in the UK. I have also walked close to 25 miles in the Alps with at 1500m of ascent.  This was all a few years ago. I haven’t done anything much over 5 miles in at least a year due to injury and the resulting lack of fitness.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:18:39, 15/11/19 »
Longest is the 40 miles of the Lyke Wake Walk when I was in my teens. I am a Dirger.

Same for me.

It was a group walk...about a dozen people took part...organised by a friend to celebrate 40th wedding anniversary. Given degree of organisation (we had a support van to carry food, spare kit, etc that met us every few hours)...it actually “felt” a lot easier that much sorter solo walks I’ve done in Peak District.

I think longest solo walk I’ve done is about 28 miles...and even then I did a fair about of prep for that, by walking route in sections before so I wouldn’t be troubled by navigational [censored]-ups on the day.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:36:15, 15/11/19 »
My longest day walk was the 40 mile Lyke Wake walk across the North York Moors from Osmotherly to Ravenscar. It is actually a pretty boring walk as one bit of moorland is much like another. I would not especially recommend it, other than being able to say you have done it. It is really quite easy.  

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:11:51, 15/11/19 »
Feshiebridge to Feshiebridge on a circular walk through Glen Feshie, Glen Geldie, Lairig Ghru, Loch an Eilein and moor of Feshie to return....around 100 Kls. I think. :-)

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:15:07, 15/11/19 »
I agree that it's an age thing... I'm 67 now and there's absolutely no way I could have done that distance and time when I was younger!

Did you really mean that?  ???

With me it's the other way round. As I get older the distances I walk are getting shorter.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy