Author Topic: C2C in 2017  (Read 23337 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
C2C in 2017
« on: 21:35:46, 09/07/16 »
Some of you guys know I have wanted to do this for years. Some (too many) years ago, I found myself in a pub in Robin hood bay. There was a coast to coast certificate of some sort on the wall behind the bar, and it piqued my interest.

And now its all booked for end of April and mostly in May. Very excited, and a good reason to start getting out a lot more to get fit(ter).

I'll do it with Mountaingirl, and I must say she has been brilliant with the planning and organisation.

I'm sure we would both appreciate any advice about anything at all from those that have done it, or general info about long distance walking. We'll be starting from the west side.

Without wishing the time away, I can't wait O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C in 2017
« Reply #1 on: 21:42:38, 09/07/16 »
You will certainly enjoy it, it's not just a walk, it's an experience.  O0

I've been to the Lakes a few times in the last couple of months and keep meeting people at the Hostels at night who are doing the C2C and feeling very jealous. I want to do it again...and again.

If you want any info etc, there are plenty of us who have done the walk....I know this thread will make me envious a few times to come  ;)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mick wmexile

« Reply #2 on: 23:21:54, 09/07/16 »
I will be interested in following this thread. Last month I did my first long distance walk, The Pennine Way, thoroughly enjoyed it. I got the bug for more, already in planning stages for C2C next May. I'd really be interested how others have found the two walks in comparison with each other.
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:16:55, 12/07/16 »
Have a great time Alewife. We've had a number of guests here who have walked it and they all loved it.  :)
~
Sue

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:42:22, 12/07/16 »
On my 'to do' list and a possibility it might replace my planned PW walk in 2017, so I too will be watching  :)
Where there's a will ...

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:58:20, 13/07/16 »
Thanks for the comments and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions when we get closer to the off.

I have put Mr A in charge of my training plan: he offered and I accepted before I noticed the look of glee on his face. I reserve the right to refuse to partake of anything I don't like the sound of :-\   ::)

I start training in September, apparently  :)
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:06:59, 16/07/16 »

Alewife- we did it about 6 years ago and I can give you advice from a female point of view so let me know how I can help. After doing Pennine Way I could have done with stretching my legs before I went!  :D  Once you start increasing your miles make sure you also walk with a full pack or increase to full pack as soon as you can.

I'd really be interested how others have found the two walks in comparison with each other.
We've done both Mick. As you know we've just completed the Pennine Way, we did the C2C about 6 years ago. Enjoyed both. C2Cwas16 days no rest day, PW 20 days incl one rest day at Alston. I think the PW was only tougher because it was longer. The first day on the PW is much harder, but the first 5 days were harder on the C2C assuming west to east. We did have particularly bad weather on the C2C, managed to get the tail end of a couple of American hurricanes in September ( not sure if that's always a factor to consider). PW was more remote and more boggy!! You will meet more people on the C2C, and there will probably be more that are not used to walking such long distances and give up more easily.  Certainly those we met on the PW were more determined to finish and not take any short cuts! It's amazing how many (usually Americans) on the C2C seemed to think nothing of taking a bus or taxi in bad weather or if tired, and then just carrying on!

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:43:20, 16/07/16 »
I think Rural Roamer's assessment of the relative difficulties of the CtoC and PW are about right. Maybe the Cheviot part of the PW is harder if you do it without the services of Forest View's bus pick-up from Trow but apart from that, the daily workload is probably about the same, its just that the PW is longer which perhaps makes the psychology of plugging away at it a little more important.
The PW has become quite a lot easier since they put all those stone flags down and diverted the route away from  the "PW undefined" moss-plods across Saddleworth Moor etc. You can still walk on the bobble-hatted skulls of 1970's sunken deep and lost into the sloppy bits of Black Hill (now green and no longer Black!) and Saddleworth Moor and the dreaded Redmires Moss, now drained and flagged. Ah yes, them were the days. One of my legs is still peat-stained from the legendary Ickornshaw Moor disaster, in fact. Happy days....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:56:07, 19/09/16 »
And so the training begins. Just returned from holiday and feeling very lardy but ready to get my xrse in gear . Any training tips appreciated -thank rural roamer, only just seen your reply. I know I have 7 months before the walk so will be starting off with just getting out for a few miles each day, and build up the distance over the next few weeks.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

RonA

« Reply #9 on: 15:52:43, 19/09/16 »
« Last Edit: 16:28:11, 19/09/16 by RonA »

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:06:40, 19/09/16 »
Thanks, yes I realise the time will fly by which is why I'm starting now. The planning/accommodation is all booked so daily distances are set now but using a luggage transfer so planning to use my usual pack, water will be the most of the weight. I do need new boots so I should probably be getting those fairly soon to get them worn in. Also planning on taking poles which I don't generally use so probably need to practise with them too.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 01:08:56, 29/09/16 »
I'm planning my 10th coast to coast walk for May 2017.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:28:33, 29/09/16 »
We may well run (walk) into each other. Perhaps Kay and I, and anyone else on here who does it, should  have a red rose in our lapel, or carry a rolled up newspaper, so the we can spot any other forumites on the trail. I am really excited about it (I probably said that before ;D)
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:40:19, 29/09/16 »
I've done it but if I was to do it again I would try to re-route myself to avoid some of the road walking stretches. All in all a good hike, I have never really decided if the Lake District start, or to finish there is best way to do it?

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:45:46, 29/09/16 »
Well, I have my itinerary drawed up. Will be mostly camping, got the lion inn booked up and a couple of bunk houses and maybe a youth hostel. I start on the 15th of May for 12 days. Will be using a packhorse :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy