Author Topic: Snakes and Lizards in the Peak District.  (Read 12493 times)

rodd

Snakes and Lizards in the Peak District.
« on: 21:43:59, 18/02/09 »
Various articles i have read on the Peak District mention snakes and lizards found on upper moorlands basking in the sun in the summer months. Since I've only been walking around the dark peak during the winter months, i personally haven't come across any. What un-nerved me a bit was the mention of the common viper (adder) which is apparently abundant in these areas. Given that i take the kids on walks, and kids being kids that love to jump and climb on rocks this is something i will be aware of next time i head out that way.

Anyone here seen any snakes and lizards whilst out on a walk in the Peak?

Thanks

radder

• Veteran Member
Re: Snakes and Lizards in the Peak District.
« Reply #1 on: 23:02:42, 18/02/09 »
Hi Rodd

Snakes are very rare to come across nowdays. After walking for a number of years have never came across any till last April.
This wasn't the high peak but near Hardwick Hall in Derbyshire. It was the end of April and was a warm sunny day. I was walking along the Rowthorne Trail when this snake was lying there basking in the sun.
It was a good 5 foot long and just lay there while I was taking pictures eventally she got bored and slid into the undergrowth.

My first thought was that it was a Adder but later found out by a expert that it was a female grass snake. Adders don't grow more then 2 foot. where a full size grass snake can grow between 5-6 foot.
I wonder if anyone else has come across a snake in the wild ?

Mark

BLU3

« Reply #2 on: 23:07:53, 18/02/09 »
I live near to Hardwick Hall. I often see very large dark brownish grass snakes on my path as I'm walking my dog. They aren't bothered, they just move when they want to and aren't even worried by the dog.
Louise

rodd

« Reply #3 on: 23:41:49, 18/02/09 »
I live just a couple of miles away from Hardwick too... thats cool!, i grew up in Pilsley but now live in Clay Cross, during the summer months Hardwick Inn is my favourite place to call after a walk around the ponds.

I've never been on the Rowthorne trail before though, is this the trail that runs around the back of the hall accessed from the gate halfway up the steep hill (from the road that takes you through the park?) I've never seen a snake in the wild, your so lucky. I'm definitely intrigued to find the trail and take a look in the summer when they may be out and about.

Thanks

stevieboy378

« Reply #4 on: 00:56:06, 19/02/09 »
Slow-worms are abundant in the Peak District but rarely seen, as they're very shy . . .
If you want to see grass snakes and adders in summer take a walk across Stanton Moor - you need to tread VERY gently though, as the snakes can sense the vibrations from your footsteps, and will beat a hasty retreat. Don't worry about getting bitten - the little fellers will scarper rather than stand their ground - snake bites in the UK are VERY rare . . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:24:49, 19/02/09 »
I have never seen an adder in the Peak - I have seen them by the bucket full on North Yorks moors, Cornwall west Penwith area and especially Cheviots - my record is 7 in one morning here. More than once have I nearly trod on a basking adder early in the morning.

Kids are a problem because they will pick them up when I lived in Scarborough the local hospial used to treat a few kids every summer for adder bites - in every case it was the kid picking up the snake that was he problem. All were absoulutely fine (kids and adders). Just tell kids to leave them alone.

I now live in Leicestershire and grass snakes are very common - we had a nest (?)hatch out in our compost bin and two residents in the pond for about a month in the summer.

scenic

« Reply #6 on: 12:11:30, 18/03/09 »
Saw this little fellow in the Peaks on Sunday...

Life without spice is like food without flavour

rodd

« Reply #7 on: 11:54:40, 19/03/09 »
Thats so cool. Where abouts in the Peak did you spot that little fellow?

Now the weather is getting better i was thinking of taking the kids on a lizzard/snake spotting walk.

Thanks for sharing!  O0

scenic

« Reply #8 on: 20:14:39, 19/03/09 »
Saw him alongside Abbey Brook which flows into (I think) Derwent Reservoir, up in the Dark Peak. We were about a mile from the reservoir when we saw him.

Initially we tried to take a photo of his smaller friend, but he escaped our attentions. Then we noticed the chap above. The distance between the two sightings confirmed that they were not the same creature.

The camouflage works fantastically - they have to move before you see them, probably why they let us get so close in the first place.
Life without spice is like food without flavour

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:01:08, 02/06/11 »
I once saw a small lizard basking on a rock in the Burbage Valley. I've seen adders on Thorne Moors where I sometimes go walking.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:39:32, 02/06/11 »
Don't worry about getting bitten - the little fellers will scarper rather than stand their ground - snake bites in the UK are VERY rare . . . .

Granted, bites are rare, but my pal's kids brought back a snake in a bucket (big mistake!) to show their dad (my mate) who made the mistake of looking with 'his hands' and not his eyes and promptly got bitten. Within a few hours he was in hospital in agony with a grossly swollen arm. From memory an anti-venom of sorts was given to sort him out, very nasty.

Just to add that at the time the kids thought it was just a harmless sloworm when it turned out to be an adder. btw this was in North Kent.
roll on the weekend

lovinit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:55:25, 02/06/11 »
Saw this little fellow in the Peaks on Sunday...

He is pretty cute :smitten: .  Must confess to being a big fan of slow worms too, cant resist picking them up if they are slow enough ...  ;D .

Thanks for the pic and of course for the the more serious reminder that we need to pay attention when we're out and about.

No one can go back in time & make a brand new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy