Author Topic: Another bloody Kinder Scout thread  (Read 9821 times)

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Re: Another bloody Kinder Scout thread
« Reply #30 on: 19:15:34, 04/08/09 »
Yup it goes on and on and on and on and on and on ;D You know what my downfall was there?Jumping!!If you can happily leap down of ledges as high as you are(Radder) and do the long jump over the bottom of every dip(Radder again) then you can just go in upto your ankles instead of your knees.Unfortunately I couldn't.I suppose it could be a whole different experience in dry weather, or say in winter when the ground is frozen.You will need more than a pair of gaiters to protect you ;D , in fact theres no point in trying to cover up becaue you will end up covered head to toe in mud!!

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: 19:28:27, 04/08/09 »
Yup it goes on and on and on and on and on and on ;D You know what my downfall was there?Jumping!!If you can happily leap down of ledges as high as you are(Radder) and do the long jump over the bottom of every dip(Radder again) then you can just go in upto your ankles instead of your knees.Unfortunately I couldn't.I suppose it could be a whole different experience in dry weather, or say in winter when the ground is frozen.You will need more than a pair of gaiters to protect you ;D , in fact theres no point in trying to cover up becaue you will end up covered head to toe in mud!!

Sounds good, but 2 miles of it could be utterly exhausting. I thought there would be a lot of jumping. I'm not sure how far Lai San can jump though.
"pain is your bodies way of telling you that it is hurting"

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 20:19:56, 04/08/09 »
Sorry people who love it, this is just my opinion and I won't ever try to cross the plateau again, once was quite enough!
We will see about that  O0 conditions was very extreme that day, I gave you the choice of the edges or to cross the plateau,If i remember rightly you said let's cross the plateau as you had not done it before  ;) Anyway I need better pictures to bribe you with  ;D ;D

Genji word of caution, If you don't know how to use map and compass, the centre of Kinder Scout is best avoided. I've been up Kinder hundreds of times and still need to cross the plateau by compass, From Crowden Brook you have to aim for Kinder Gates and then follow the river to Kinder Downfall.There is no path's up there just a sea of peat and groughs, Without a compass bearing you will quite easily go astray, and Kinders a big Plateau..

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 20:23:32, 04/08/09 »
^^too true^^

It's easy to get disorientated and considering the detours is more like 3 miles. You'd probably enjoy it more if someone guided you across.

Oh the grassy tops are called Hags I believe.

The south western bits do have paths in places, but it's easy enough in that you can see where to go usually. Navigation should be ok as if you walk too far west you end up at the edge or in Hayfield  ;)  The western edge is strangely springy under foot, like walking on a trampoline.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: 20:31:24, 04/08/09 »
Cheers radder. I wouldn't take it lightly. Jumping around I could imagine losing my way. Is Kinder Gates fairly recognisable? I've looked at photos but are the outcrops unique in that area? I mean, you'll know it's them when you find them?

if you walk too far west you end up at the edge or in Hayfield
Wouldn't surprise me.

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 20:40:47, 04/08/09 »
Cheers radder. I wouldn't take it lightly. Jumping around I could imagine losing my way. Is Kinder Gates fairly recognisable? I've looked at photos but are the outcrops unique in that area? I mean, you'll know it's them when you find them?
Wouldn't surprise me.

They aren't recognisable in thick fog and torrential rain, come to think of it it's no wonder I didn't enjoy it!It took a week for my boots to dry out!

Plenty of folk on here who are experts when it comes to navigation, I bet one of them would be willing to guide you across.

Mark not a hope in hell duck, arund the outside yes but across the middle NOOOOOO

I will shut up about it now cus I am sounding a bit of a wimp.If you do go enjoy :)

Asgard

« Reply #36 on: 20:43:45, 04/08/09 »
For those that aren't aware there are a few aircraft crash sites up on Kinder (see link) some going back to WW2

http://highpeakbob.piczo.com/?g=1908934&cr=3 [nofollow]

Not seen them myself though as I only crossed the plateau once when I was young and a bit daft, now I'm older and dafter lol, besides as has been said it was hard and very dirty work getting across.

:) [nofollow]

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #37 on: 20:46:48, 04/08/09 »
They aren't recognisable in thick fog and torrential rain, come to think of it it's no wonder I didn't enjoy it!It took a week for my boots to dry out!

Well, I wouldn't try to go across in weather like that. What do you think I am? ;)

Plenty of folk on here who are experts when it comes to navigation, I bet one of them would be willing to guide you across.

That would be great, but it might be something I want to attempt for myself. I heed the warnings though.

For those that aren't aware there are a few aircraft crash sites up on Kinder (see link) some going back to WW2

http://highpeakbob.piczo.com/?g=1908934&cr=3

Not seen them myself though as I only crossed the plateau once when I was young and a bit daft, now I'm older and dafter lol, besides as has been said it was hard and very dirty work getting across.

Cheers for the link, Asgard. I doubt I'd try to find them but it adds to the general eldritch.

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 20:50:40, 04/08/09 »
The kinder gates are the source of the River Kinder where you have a nice sandy river bed to walk along to the Downfall.From the plateau you will not see them till you are quite near to them, Some of these peat grough's are as high as 10 feet high in the centre of the plateau. And that's why a compass bearing is essential. Great fun crossing the plateau but for goodness sake don't get lost we need to see the pictures  O0

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #39 on: 20:54:30, 04/08/09 »
Great fun crossing the plateau but for goodness sake don't get lost we need to see the pictures  O0

It can't be that big. I mean, even if we get lost, we'll get out eventually...

Won't we?

:o

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 21:03:20, 04/08/09 »
It can't be that big. I mean, even if we get lost, we'll get out eventually...
Won't we?
Im going of memory here without reading up, But the plateau is 5 miles west to east and 2.5 miles south to north at there widest points. So yeap  Kinder's a pretty big place to get lost.

Mark not a hope in hell duck, arund the outside yes but across the middle NOOOOOO
Ok I will have to take you up Bleaklow then  O0  Think Kinder's bad wait till you see these beauties  ;D ;D

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: 21:08:59, 04/08/09 »
Ok I will have to take you up Bleaklow then  O0  Think Kinder's bad wait till you see these beauties  ;D ;D

After Dizzy's photo I went looking for photos of groughs and came across those at Bleaklow. I'll refrain from posting them but... yeah...

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 21:15:08, 04/08/09 »
I think he's trying to kill me genji ;D

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 21:41:17, 04/08/09 »
I think he's trying to kill me genji ;D
Whatever gave you that impression  :2funny:

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 21:46:59, 04/08/09 »
crowden tower was where i got lost thought i was going straight and ended up doing a curve to the right so it is really disorientating up there :-[
groughs were huge and i went up to my knees in a few but was fun jumping them when my dogs didn't pull me through ;D
I found hayfield a much easier way up and kinder low was a great way down

hope you enjoy it which ever way you go

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy