Author Topic: The Winnat's Pass 'Scrambles'  (Read 22800 times)

joester

• Veteran Member
The Winnat's Pass 'Scrambles'
« on: 22:01:26, 15/10/09 »
Not absolutely strictly walking, but....but I know that at least one Forum member was expressing an interest in the scrambles/climbs at Winnat's Pass.  So further to that, and because I thought it might interest you, I asked my friend Leon what he thought about them, and here's what he said:

"We did Elbow Ridge followed by Matterhorn Ridge, both rated somewhere between Diff and VDiff climbs if I remember correctly, but very easy for the grade and are more like grade III scrambles.

There’s only really one line up Elbow Ridge, but you can tackle Matterhorn Ridge a few ways as it’s bigger. Traversing out to the left and going up the bare-looking face made it considerably harder as I found out, but if you stick to the true line then it’s no harder than a M climb."

Here are his photos:

(I'm assuming the third photo is the Matterhorn Ridge, Leon having traversed out left onto the hairy stuff).

It looks like we might have a touch of the 'Batman and Robin' 'camera at a jaunty angle to make it look steep' thing going on (in some of the other photos he's actually attached a rope to that harness, and in those the rock looks much less severe than above), but nevertheless I think that's all a bit too heavy duty for me.

You'd certainly have earnt your chips and beans if you went and did that lot...
solvitur ambulando

radder

• Veteran Member
Re: The Winnat's Pass 'Scrambles'
« Reply #1 on: 23:10:14, 15/10/09 »
Great pictures Joe  O0 Looking at them even i might have to rethink on this one, I will do a bit more research and see if Mike and granty are still up for these routes  :)

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:42:38, 16/10/09 »
Yup, these are certainly ones I have wanted to do for some while but driving by them and looking at what pictures I could it didn't seem so vertical! Plus other people had said they had gone unroped up "while on a walk" like it was nothing.

However think going roped up is definately advisable!
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:43:15, 16/10/09 »
P.S Great Photos!

Pearsy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:58:40, 17/10/09 »
Blimey that looks a bit hairy!  I'd love to give that a go but i'd like a rope and some protection going up that!

Great photos, i'll go up there and have a proper look at that soon i think.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:05:48, 17/10/09 »
I'm up for this one, but I'd have to be a dangler at the end of a very secure rope :-\

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:33:34, 17/10/09 »
I'm up for this one, but I'd have to be a dangler at the end of a very secure rope :-\
Could always get someone to do this as a meet in the futrue  O0
Looking at the pictures trying to figure out where these scrambles are, If you was coming up from the Castleton direction the scrambles look like they are on the right hand side of the pass, Might have to have a look when I'm in the area to see where exactly they are.

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:35:26, 17/10/09 »
Mark thats correct, I thought that and drove back that way after the Hayfield meet just to see and Matterhorn is very distinctive. Didnt look that bad from the road but I look to be wrong!

If someone sees this and has the equipment would be nice if we could make this a meet!

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:42:44, 17/10/09 »
I'm in the area in November for a short walk and the Castleton Lights so will have a look and see what I think, The scramble looks like it's on the bend in the road.
I would think about doing this unroped but that third picture makes me feel uneasy!!!!

Pearsy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:47:23, 17/10/09 »
Its definitely on the RH side as you ascend the pass. i'd need to have another look as its been a while since i have been up there too.

Do we have a climbing guide who could help us?

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: 14:50:19, 17/10/09 »
Sorry guys I am not playing devils advocate here but I would not be climbing this without a rope. This guy is on a rope and he is climbing on a dry, sunny and probably calm day. Even if it is a grade III scramble you should be wearing helmets and be on a harness and rope. If you moved a loose rock or slipped in any way without a rope you are in for some serious pain. I have a bit of climbing experience and I would never try it without.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:07:30, 17/10/09 »
Yup I spent ages too!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1239

Its annoying because no one seems to know anything about them, yet they could possibly be the best scrambles the peaks have to offer! In fact I spent a lot of time looking for stuff to do in peaks only Winnats and Parkhouse came up, not even Bleaklows scramble you did!

Some say Winnats can be done unroped while on a walk with no gear some seem to think you need more. Its all very contradictory!

Stoke scrambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:28:10, 17/10/09 »
I tend to agree with Angry climber on this one especially after reading the comment on the link radders put up   "I enjoyed this scramble and it certainly has a lot more exposed rock on it than the picture indicates 'supposedly V Diff', well my girlfriend leads V Severe and opted out of the final section on our solo!"
Being limestone theres a chance of loose rock and vegitation if it's not a popular route, so I would advise caution for any one lacking experience of scrambling exposed ridges.
Unfortunately I sold most of my climbing gear last year, due to the lack of climbing partner. But I still have rope, harness and helmet.
Sorry if I sound a bit of a kill joy but better safe than sorry 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy