Author Topic: [Trip Report] Kinder Scout from Edale via Grindsbrook Clough  (Read 8606 times)

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Today I did a walk up Kinder Scout with carolina2k9. There were a lot of fell runners in the area competing in the Edale Skyline challenge and I wondered if I'd find a parking space but fortunately some kindly farmer had offered the use of his field as a car park for the fell runners leaving the main car park in Edale free for walkers and I had no trouble finding a space. Once parked and with boots donned I headed to Edale station where I met Caroline just before 10am.

After becoming aquainted we headed up through Edale village to the start of the Grindsbrook path. There were quite a few people about enjoying the pleasant weather.

Caroline on the bridge over Golden Clough stream.

Looking up Grindsbrook Clough.

Caroline and I on the path up.

Nearer the top of Grindsbrook Clough where it gets a bit rockier.

Caroline hadn't done any scrambling before so was a little anxious about what lay ahead. With a bit of reassurance and guidance from me we carefully made our way up through the boulders. Caroline did really well on the scramble and deserves to feel justly proud of the achievement. O0

The boulders on the final part of the ascent.

The Grindsbrook parrot watches over us.

Nearly at the top. You've done well!

Looking back down Grindsbrook Clough from the top.

At the top of Grindsbrook Clough we took a well earned break. Despite the sunshine there was quite a cool breeze on the plateau. We had a bite to eat, drink and a natter before heading west along Kinder Scouts southern edge.

The walking boots, one of Kinders many wierd and wonderful gritstone formations.

The edge path with Crowden Tower visible in the distance.

The top of Crowden Clough.

Stood on the top of Crowden Tower and looking across to the Castleton Ridge.

The Wool Packs, one of Kinder Scouts unique landscapes.

Kinders rocky edge.

Pym Chair.

The path heading towards Edale End.

We stopped for another break when we reached Noe Stool. I decided to climb onto the top of Noe Stool as I've seen others do it before but never managed it myself. I'm not sure why I struggled before as I found it quite easy to climb onto the top today. I'm hoping Caroline will post the photo of me on the top. ;)

Noe Stool.

Looking back along Kinders southern edge.

We started to see a few of the fell runners competing the Edale Skyline race at Noe Stool. Some seemed to be sticking to the path whereas others were running off path through boggier ground. One group of runners disturbed a mountain hare, still in it's white winter coat, that ran right across the path in front of us. Far too fast to get a photo of it though.

We headed to Edale End where we dropped down onto the Jacob's Ladder path. We followed Jacob's ladder back down into the Edale valley. There were a few mountain bikers about and one took an impressive dive over the handlebars near the pack horse bridge but only his pride was damaged.

The old pack horse bridge at the foot of Jacob's Ladder.

From the pack horse bridge we followed the path back to Edale, stopping briefly at the walkers shelter near Lee House Farm. Once back at Edale we had a well deserved drink in The Old Nags Head.

It was a pleasure to meet and walk with you today Caroline and a big well done for completing your first scramble! O0 I hope you can forgive me for the aching muscles! ;)
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Excellent pics and report, glad you had a good time, well done.  O0  Ilona

Micky

• Veteran Member
Nice one Mike, thanks for sharing and well done Caroline for completing your first scramble. What did you think and will you be doing it again.
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
That looked great walking weather. Nice crisp pictures Mike - what camera did you end up getting - I can see it's a bridge camera. Is it the Panasonic one?

dibble

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos and it looks like it was wonderful weather. 
I love the rock formations and wow to seeing a mountain hare.  :)
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
fantastic day! thanx mile, loved the scrambling--not sure if im ready for grade 2 yet,ha,ha, my calves  have defo grown overnight!! ;D
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
a few pics from yesterdays walk, including mike on top of noe stool.

Boothy

• Veteran Member
Great pics and report.  I'm really lookong forward to the Edale Skyline on Saturday now.
134/214

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
wheres mike non top ov noe stool?? oh yes he's here. ;D ;D

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member

JulianC

• Veteran Member
Looks like a really good day out. Good weather too. O0

Granty

• Veteran Member
Great report looks like you had fun and great weather.

Enjoying your new camera then Mike?
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

joester

• Veteran Member
Lovely day for it guys.

I've been wondering about Grinsbrook Clough for a few weeks now, your pictures seem to give a really good idea what the scrambling is like, so thanks for posting.

I think it's time for me to get better aquainted with Kinder!

(I think the 'parrot' looks more like Cyril Sneer from 'The Racoons' - if you're aged 25-35 you'll know what I mean!)
solvitur ambulando

Davejj

• Veteran Member
Really enjoyed your report and pictures... another place on my list now  O0

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Great photo's Caroline! O0 I'm glad you enjoyed the day. That is probably one of the most popular routes up onto the Kinder plateau as testified by all the people that were going up with us. The ground can get pretty boggy in places as you saw but that's one of the charms of Kinder, or is it a curse perhaps? ;D

Nice crisp pictures Mike - what camera did you end up getting - I can see it's a bridge camera. Is it the Panasonic one?

It's the Panasonic Lumix FZ38. I'm impressed with it so far I must say. I need to get a memory card for it as at the moment I'm using the 256MB card from my old 3.1MP Kodak which was fine in that camera but doesn't hold many photo's from the 12.1MP Lumix! I think I'll get a 16GB card that I've seen on MX2 for about £30, that should do it. O0

Enjoying your new camera then Mike?

Oh yes! O0

(I think the 'parrot' looks more like Cyril Sneer from 'The Racoons' - if you're aged 25-35 you'll know what I mean!)

Yes, I remember the Sneers! I've heard it said that the 'parrot' looks more like Sam Eagle from the Muppets than a parrot. I think I can see the resemblance...

Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy