Author Topic: Backpack - Mistake?  (Read 3261 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Backpack - Mistake?
« Reply #30 on: 13:12:24, 01/02/20 »
I think a 58L will be ok for me, as I'll have to carry a large amount of my son's gear, as well as a couple of things so he is not bored in the evening, like mini football, travel games.

Why? You have already mentioned that you have the perfect solution?

Give your son the 30L Berghaus rucksack and let him carry his own stuff. I'm sure that he will be more than capable and will be happy to help and be more involved.

Every little helps!  ;D

Little Foot

« Reply #31 on: 13:38:53, 01/02/20 »
A person’s size will dramatically affect the volume and weight required to be carried (and probably the weight that can be carried). If you are 5 feet tall and weigh 7 stones, your spare kit won’t take up much space or weigh much. If you are over 6 feet and weigh considerably more (I  might fit into 1 or more of those categories), then your spare kit will be bigger and heavier and a 2 person tent might appear to be a 1 person tent to you. I have never worried too much about weight of walking kit or my photography gear. I can always reduce the weight being carried by going on a diet. In the end, the best rucksack, waterproof or camera is the one you have to hand when you need it.

I can only wish I was 7 stones. That's precisely why I need a bigger bag. It's 20% of a person's weight, the amount they can carry, isn't it? If it is, I can carry a lot!  ;D  Just starting out, I am having to get the basics so can't afford to get the ultra small and light kit all at once. I think I'd rather have a bag slightly too big for me needs, than one too small.

Why? You have already mentioned that you have the perfect solution?

Give your son the 30L Berghaus rucksack and let him carry his own stuff. I'm sure that he will be more than capable and will be happy to help and be more involved

Every little helps!  ;D

Oh he will be carrying his fair share of gear, believe me. He will have his sleeping gear, clothes plus a few extras. I think the max he can carry is around 6kg. I also have a dog who may be joining on short trips so will have her gear to consider too.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:53:48, 01/02/20 »
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:56:01, 01/02/20 »
I can only wish I was 7 stones. That's precisely why I need a bigger bag. It's 20% of a person's weight, the amount they can carry, isn't it? If it is, I can carry a lot!  ;D  Just starting out, I am having to get the basics so can't afford to get the ultra small and light kit all at once. I think I'd rather have a bag slightly too big for me needs, than one too small.
On that basis I could also carry a fair weight. I think carrying capacity will vary with fitness, age, distance to be walked, difficulty of the terrain and the source of the weight. Muscle can carry a greater proportion of its weight. When I was younger I carried 25kg around the Alps for 2 weeks, walking in excess of 20 miles on some days at reasonably high altitudes. That was more than 25% of my body weight at the time, but I was very fit. I don’t think I could do that now, but I could still carry a fair weight. I wouldn’t worry about ultralight. Just start off slowly with distances you can manage and gradually increase as you become fitter. It becomes increasingly more expensive to lose a few grams here and there.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 14:04:19, 01/02/20 »
  ;D
 I hiked in the Pyrenees with a friend who had a biggish dog (a Patou) that not only carried its own gear but had a bit of spare capacity.  He also taught it to sleep outside his tent to act as a windbreak.
Solvitur Ambulando

Little Foot

« Reply #36 on: 14:48:11, 01/02/20 »
Make the dog carry its own gear https://www.amazon.co.uk/saddle-bags-dogs/s?k=saddle+bags+for+dogs&page=3

She's the size of a Shih Tzu, and pretty much a lap dog. If anything is getting carried, it'd be her.  ;D

Little Foot

« Reply #37 on: 14:52:54, 01/02/20 »
On that basis I could also carry a fair weight. I think carrying capacity will vary with fitness, age, distance to be walked, difficulty of the terrain and the source of the weight. Muscle can carry a greater proportion of its weight. When I was younger I carried 25kg around the Alps for 2 weeks, walking in excess of 20 miles on some days at reasonably high altitudes. That was more than 25% of my body weight at the time, but I was very fit. I don’t think I could do that now, but I could still carry a fair weight. I wouldn’t worry about ultralight. Just start off slowly with distances you can manage and gradually increase as you become fitter. It becomes increasingly more expensive to lose a few grams here and there.

I am used to walking short distances, but you're right in that I don't want to be pushing myself too much or regretting a large back an hour after we start on a longer trek. I think once bits of kit arrive, I can make a better choice of what I should be taking. Looking forward to doing a test run on the YWW soon.

Little Foot

« Reply #38 on: 14:53:25, 01/02/20 »
  ;D
 I hiked in the Pyrenees with a friend who had a biggish dog (a Patou) that not only carried its own gear but had a bit of spare capacity.  He also taught it to sleep outside his tent to act as a windbreak.

Sounds like the dog would have been perfect for a pillow!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 15:12:27, 01/02/20 »
I had a run-in with a Patou sheepdog just west of Riez, France last year, frightened the life out of me! I was walking along a flat section of the GR4, saw a flock of sheep ahead but didn't really take much notice. Suddenly the flock parted and this enormous white Patou dog came charging at me, barking, slobbering and looking for blood!!!

I stopped dead in my tracks and started to walk backwards and luckily this 'saved' me! The dog stopped, it kept barking and slobbering though so I walked back a few more paces. The dog then decided to return to the flock, I didn't move for a while, I just waited until the flock drifted away from me and the path and then strolled on. I felt lucky!

Butchersboy

« Reply #40 on: 15:15:27, 01/02/20 »
I really don't know how you can say that. My 75L pack (that includes lid and side pockets) only weighs 8.17kg (18 lb) with spring and autumn gear, or a grand total of 10.4kg (23 lb) with a litre of water and four days food, yet my sleeping bag, ground mat, tent, base layers and spare undies, fleece jumper, down jacket and then the above mentioned food, fill it pretty much right up, while waterproofs go on the top and small bits and pieces in the pockets. So how you can say you go on a long distance walk with only a 33L bag or even a 48L one is beyond me, unless you're staying in B&Bs and not carrying camping equipment.

Yes it includes camping equipment, I should clarify the 33L would only be viable in summer months. I'll be using that for the coast to coast this summer.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 16:06:10, 01/02/20 »
I had a run-in with a Patou sheepdog just west of Riez, France last year, frightened the life out of me! I was walking along a flat section of the GR4, saw a flock of sheep ahead but didn't really take much notice. Suddenly the flock parted and this enormous white Patou dog came charging at me, barking, slobbering and looking for blood!!!

I stopped dead in my tracks and started to walk backwards and luckily this 'saved' me! The dog stopped, it kept barking and slobbering though so I walked back a few more paces. The dog then decided to return to the flock, I didn't move for a while, I just waited until the flock drifted away from me and the path and then strolled on. I felt lucky!
That is exactly what they are trained to do.  If you see a flock in the hills in the Pyrenees it will often be guarded by one or more Patou.  As puppies they are imprinted on the flock and will protect it from predators.  Provided you avoid the flock and behave in a non aggressive manner you are fine so speak softly, avoid eye contact and do not advance into the flock.  I have had up to 4 barking at me but I am still here and unbitten.  By behaving in a non threatening way and staying clear you did the right thing.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 17:49:07, 01/02/20 »
When I was hiking the GR10 across the Pyrenees in 2015 I saw a number of Patou's looking after their sheep but none bothered me because I was too far away from them at the time. I was always very wary though.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 19:13:22, 01/02/20 »
I really don't know how you can say that. My 75L pack (that includes lid and side pockets) only weighs 8.17kg (18 lb) with spring and autumn gear, or a grand total of 10.4kg (23 lb) with a litre of water and four days food, yet my sleeping bag, ground mat, tent, base layers and spare undies, fleece jumper, down jacket and then the above mentioned food, fill it pretty much right up, while waterproofs go on the top and small bits and pieces in the pockets. So how you can say you go on a long distance walk with only a 33L bag or even a 48L one is beyond me, unless you're staying in B&Bs and not carrying camping equipment.

I'm impressed.  I'll be carrying around 12kgs on my C2C in March, in a 45L sac, to cope with 12 days on the route, but without any camping gear, so how you get down to 8 to 10kgs with camping gear I have no idea, especially using a 75L sac, must be plenty of room to spare  :)
« Last Edit: 20:54:16, 01/02/20 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 10:09:16, 02/02/20 »
When I hiked on La Palma recently my pack Exos 48 plus contents weighed 8kg, I carried my Hunker bivi with me, left my tent behind and that seemed to cut down the weight a fair amount. The pleasure didn't last long however because I then had to stock up with food and water and because there is no drinking water en route (unless it rains) I ended up with 4.5L of it on my back, that was 3L in my water bladder inside the rucksack and a 1.5L bottle strapped across the top of my rucksack.

By the time I'd drunk some of the bottled water I had to listen to the rest of the water moving and bashing itself inside the bottle just behind my head as I walked. It got very annoying after a while!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy