Author Topic: Parking  (Read 2764 times)

AndyG72

Parking
« on: 22:13:38, 02/02/20 »
Hi.
Being a newbie and just getting into the whole wild camping scene oh and living in London, I’ll be driving to wales, but where would be the best and safest place to park for 2-4 days.

Thanks

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Parking
« Reply #1 on: 22:25:55, 02/02/20 »
Welcome to the forum.  I know you are from London but Wales is a big place too.  Do you have an area in mind or just anywhere in Wales?  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:12:25, 02/02/20 »
If it's in north Wales:
1. Park on a village street, not in some remote layby or rural car park.
2. Park where there are no restrictions, obviously.
3. Park where there is street lighting rather than unlit.
4. Very important: make sure your car is within plain view of occupied properties. Welsh village folk are usually very observant (some call it nosy).
5. At the same time, don't upset the occupants by nicking the space they always use.
6. Crime might not a part of everyday life as it is London (I'm in the slum of Harrow) but nevertheless they still get it, particularly drug-related crime in the big towns along the north coast. Avoid Rhyl in particular, and Wrexham too, while some areas of Caernarfon are a bit dodgy.
The above points probably apply to the rest of Wales too.

AndyG72

« Reply #3 on: 10:31:20, 03/02/20 »
Firstly thanks for the replies.
My bad I should have narrowed things down a bit lol.
Basically I’ve never done anything like this so, I thought Brecon Beacons to start only because it looks amazing and it’s easy enough to get to.
I’ll be going solo first, but I want to explore the whole country before I’m older and greyer lol.
Regarding parking I get the whole consideration thing as I would hate to spoil it for others.
I have even thought about maybe finding a house in the sticks or maybe a farm with a big drive etc and offering them a few £ to park my car.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:12:19, 03/02/20 »
There are one or two forum members who know the Beacons area well, so hopefully they will post some suggestions.
In the meantime, in the light of your last sentence about paying someone to park, many camp sites will let you leave a car there after you've stayed a night, usually for a daily fee but occasionally for nothing.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:57:28, 18/03/20 »
I totally agree with Fernman. I always park 'in plain sight' and have never had a problem. I did the same when I slept in my car as well, again never had a problem.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy