Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 39817 times)

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #255 on: 17:37:40, 14/02/18 »
the need to upgrade forestry tracks to accommodate modern machinery. This happens all over the UK where felling occurs and to widen forest track does not need planning permission

That's correct, there is a lot of forestry round here and the tracks need to be improved considerably prior to felling operations.    But in this case UU have applied for retrospective permission for a track which is in just the right place for the proposed zipwire trucks to use.
Not all those who wander are lost

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #256 on: 22:23:29, 14/02/18 »
Interesting although quite a lot of it was not actually about the zipwire fiasco. It was about the way trees are felled as they were planted as a crop and the need to upgrade forestry tracks to accommodate modern machinery. This happens all over the UK where felling occurs and to widen forest track does not need planning permission unless destruction of certain artefacts.

Most of it was about the zip wires? All the photos shown in the report are where the zip wires will affect the area in some way or where the vehicles will transport the people up Fisher Crag on the illegally widened forest tracks.

UU also made a mistake in thinking they didn't need planning permission to widen the forest tracks. Like Strider says they have applied retrospectively for planning permission. I do hope it is rejected and they have to put it back the way it was.

If the other plan isn't rejected I'm going to become a Zip Sab and join this little fella. Zip Off posted it on their facebook page  :)

Hate will never win

Addingham

« Reply #257 on: 00:55:02, 15/02/18 »
 ;D There won't be many red squirrels using this zip wire if planning is allowed. ;)  There aren't any in the Thirlmere conifer plantations. I do know that :P

As for planning permission as stated is not needed for forestry tracks unless they interfere with either public rights of ways or buildings. That is the reason a retrospective planning application has been activated.

Now zipping off to work at UU. ;)
« Last Edit: 01:12:27, 15/02/18 by Addingham »

Addingham

« Reply #258 on: 01:29:57, 15/02/18 »
That's correct, there is a lot of forestry round here and the tracks need to be improved considerably prior to felling operations.    But in this case UU have applied for retrospective permission for a track which is in just the right place for the proposed zipwire trucks to use.

Coincidence? Maybe. To be honest do you think UU would improve their yearly profits considerably with this zip wire fiasco? Doubt it but a real public relations disaster for them.

Unless someone at UU are taking a backhander from the developments original proposer. That has been known.

BTW
I am totally against the plan.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #259 on: 08:32:53, 15/02/18 »
UU also made a mistake in thinking they didn't need planning permission to widen the forest tracks. Like Strider says they have applied retrospectively for planning permission. I do hope it is rejected and they have to put it back the way it was.
This is why it is interesting. UU don't need planning permission for logging tracks and yet have applied for it, all be it retrospectively (please, please let it be rejected) for the widening of these tracks. This can only mean that these are NOT intended for logging.

I've emailed UU asking why they are making infrastructure changes ahead of planning permission being granted. I know it will make no difference but it makes me feel like I am doing something.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #260 on: 08:52:51, 15/02/18 »
;D There won't be many red squirrels using this zip wire if planning is allowed. ;)  There aren't any in the Thirlmere conifer plantations. I do know that :P

You do come across as someone who knows a lot.

Where do you get your information about no red squirrels at Thirlmere?

There were red squirrels recorded in Thirlmere in 2017. Click on the link below and select the pdf file monitoring report for 2017, page 15, it says red and grey squirrels were recorded.
http://www.rsne.org.uk/squirrel-monitoring-programme

I have seen red squirrels myself around Thirlmere but it is a few years ago now.

Now zipping off to work at UU. ;)

I wouldn't joke about that on here, there are a lot of people very unhappy with UU, you might be drummed off the forum by Ridge  :D

BTW
I am totally against the plan.

O0
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #261 on: 09:13:07, 15/02/18 »
There were red squirrels recorded in Thirlmere in 2017. Click on the link below and select the pdf file monitoring report for 2017, page 15, it says red and grey squirrels were recorded.
http://www.rsne.org.uk/squirrel-monitoring-programme

I have seen red squirrels myself around Thirlmere but it is a few years ago now.

Before they chopped down the trees on the side of Thirlmere a few years ago, there used to be rope bridges slung high above the road for the red squirrels to use.   So they were certainly there then.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #262 on: 10:43:26, 15/02/18 »
Sorry I am out of date......whens the decision due?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #263 on: 10:48:39, 15/02/18 »
I think the planning committee report on 20th Feb and the full meeting to approve is on 7 Mrach - but that's a dredge from my memory so could be a load of old b.....ks

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #264 on: 11:35:04, 15/02/18 »
Sorry - just looked it up - they will publish the Committee recommendation on 27th, with the final decision meeting on the 7th March

https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/news/national-park-announces-date-thirlmere-zip-wire-application-to-be-decided

Paul

Addingham

« Reply #265 on: 15:57:23, 15/02/18 »
You do come across as someone who knows a lot.

I wouldn't joke about that on here, there are a lot of people very unhappy with UU, you might be drummed off the forum by Ridge  :D

O0

The first paragraph about RS's I do >:( . As for UU do you really think that they have extended or widened the forestry tracks to accommodate something that has not even been passed! 2+2= 5 :P  The primary reason is for felling!

End of story.

A ban hopefully it is a coming :o  Cannot seehow personally. ;)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #266 on: 16:15:44, 15/02/18 »

As for UU do you really think that they have extended or widened the forestry tracks to accommodate something that has not even been passed! 2+2= 5 :P  The primary reason is for felling!

End of story.
I really do think that they have.

The only track which UU have applied for planning permission to widen in the whole valley is the one between where the zip wire car park would be and where the vehicles would drop the participants, see the link below. Which is understandable as if it was for tree felling they would not need planning permission. If you are sure that the primary reason is for felling why do you think that they have spent time and money applying for planning permission which they do not need?

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=7/2017/2307&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=705492%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href=%27wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=1525164%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=rgndat:desc%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=705492%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%27%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #267 on: 17:57:46, 15/02/18 »

The first paragraph about RS's I do >:( . As for UU do you really think that they have extended or widened the forestry tracks to accommodate something that has not even been passed! 2+2= 5 :P  The primary reason is for felling!

End of story.

UU may well use the extended track for felling but they sure have picked the convenient track for the zip wire!  I think you may be being naive if you think this is a coincidence - if you see earlier in this thread there is discussion, including with UU, about the money they have spent elsewhere in the area.  Your comment "End of story" is, I think, a little premature and, I suspect, won't stop people making their own minds up.  

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #268 on: 18:16:07, 15/02/18 »
I saw red squirrels in the conifer plantations at the northern end of Thirlmere in October 2017.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #269 on: 18:31:01, 15/02/18 »
UU were told by LDNPA that they had to apply for planning permission retrospectively
See here
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Thirlmere-roadworks-land-United-Utilities-in-hot-water-d4ac6180-8af3-40d2-8ff5-84416bac53b3-ds

The forest road UU have widened is where the route the army trucks will use up Fisher Crag if the plans are approved. Nobody is saying they are preparing the road in advance of permission for the zip wires, I would think the road would need a lot more work done on it to take the ex army trucks? But UU were incorrect about not needing planning permission to widen this forest road for forestry work.

The first paragraph about RS's I do >:(

You must be privy to information the rest of us are not. You say you "know" there are no red squirrels at Thirlmere, can you tell us how you know this and where they have gone? Thanks in advance, it would be handy to know.

I saw red squirrels in the conifer plantations at the northern end of Thirlmere in October 2017.

I hope they are still there now. If UU forestry work has caused their demise then that is a tragedy.

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy