Author Topic: What do you want to see in a walking video report?  (Read 3660 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
As a few of us are making videos of our walks and posting them here, I was wondering what you want to see on the finished video. Is it about the scenery around as you walk, the actual trail ahead of you as you move to give you a sense of doing the walk or do you prefer the TV approach where we drive 10/20 miles away from the route to visit some butter museum etc which has nothing to do with the actual walk?  :D :D :D

Obviously I joke about the last bit but it winds me up watching these trail walks on TV to see presenters miles off the trail filming irrelevant material.

I have walks lined up and will be filming them so would like to do them in a way fellow walkers would want to see them  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: What do you want to see in a walking video report?
« Reply #1 on: 14:55:36, 06/03/19 »
I think the thing is to make the videos in the way you want to. But as you've asked for people's thoughts, I'll say that it's nice to have a mixture of panning the scenery and filming as you walk. I like a bit of commentary too. I looked at your videos

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38081.0

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38090.0

and I found the way the cuts were done a little distracting but you've got some superb footage and one really gets a feel for the landscape and a sense of doing the walk    :) 
« Last Edit: 14:59:05, 06/03/19 by Dovegirl »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:20:11, 06/03/19 »

and I found the way the cuts were done a little distracting but you've got some superb footage and one really gets a feel for the landscape and a sense of doing the walk    :)

I've ordered a video editing program so hopefully I can improve my videos. I've just been using an easy (and free) one and a bit of a beginner so basically just been joining clips together  :D

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:45:56, 06/03/19 »
By asking the questions I feel that you are making the videos to please other people Bricam
Personally I make videos for myself, I enjoy making them, they are a video diary of our adventures,
and i post them on here for others to watch if they want to,
And judging by the amount of views they get people enjoy watching them,
However, most people cant be arsed posting a comment unless it's to criticise something,
If i were you i would think about what "YOU" want in the video, and why you are making them,
That way you will be able to answer your own questions  O0
If I spend say 10 hours editing a video, only to get a couple of comments it can have a demoralizing
Effect, I mean, how long does it take to post a comment or simply give it the thumbs up,
However I remind myself why I'm actually making the video, and for me that's what's important  :)
Good luck with it O0

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:03:06, 06/03/19 »
You are tempting me to offer the 'Benny Hill' suggestion of what I want to see in a hiking video!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:15:25, 06/03/19 »
By asking the questions I feel that you are making the videos to please other people Bricam
Personally I make videos for myself, I enjoy making them, they are a video diary of our adventures,
and i post them on here for others to watch if they want to,
And judging by the amount of views they get people enjoy watching them,

I make the videos for myself but also for friends, the forums and people who visit my website. Many of my walks have been done after looking at trip reports ( including yours and Aprils) or Youtube videos so hopefully mine might have the same effect.

Before I set off on a Long Distance Walk I usually watch videos of it on Youtube and it makes me look even more forward to it.  :)

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Maggot

« Reply #6 on: 09:43:45, 07/03/19 »
For me it is less about what you show, and more about other stuff.

Too many of these videos are 'reference free', so you get lots of nice pictures of mountains, hills and rivers, but so what?  You need you in the video, or a bike or a canoe or a rucksack etc.

Secondly, nice smooth camera work.  Bumpy hand held camera work can make someone feel almost sick with all the jerking and wobbling.  This is a real biggy with amateur videos of adventures.

Thirdly, the sound.  Get an external microphone and muffle it!  Especially if you are going to give a running commentary over the video in real time.

Lastly, remember, we don't have your memory of the walk, so make it interesting.  Watching you walk along a grassy hill is bloody boring if you don't happen to have the memory of the eagle screeching in the background, or the distant sight of a waterfall!

Hope that helps

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:43:17, 07/03/19 »
As long as theres scenery, thats the main thing. Panoramas are fine by me. Though without quick "cutting" preferably.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:04:48, 07/03/19 »
I've not had a chance to catch your vids or reports as yet bricam, I will try tonight  :)

I watch a lot of vids on you tube of walks and wild camps from various people. They all have different styles, some with a lot of talking, some with not much, some with a lot of beer drinking (Andy Wardle  :D) but most have a few pans, a bit of scenery, a bit of the walk, a bit of the camping pitch, it doesn't matter that much to me what the video style is like. I would never be over critical of anyone's video, unlike some people  :D. I have never made a video myself but I know how difficult they are to do and how long it takes to edit them.
Hate will never win

Maggot

« Reply #9 on: 08:58:48, 08/03/19 »
I have just watched your Southern Upland video 1, and the main thing is that camera wobble. It's sort of always there, very slight, and is really easily fixed with a tripod, or even a simple adaptor on a walking pole if you use them.

And if I am being brutal, keep it short and snappy.  You were there, we weren't.  Over 7 minutes of that music had me switching off after about 3.  A six hour walk should be a 3 minute video! 

Here is a neat example of 16 hours reduced to 4 minutes!

https://www.alastairhumphreys.com/microadventure-3-sleep-hill/

I have to make videos for part of my job, we had some training from an ex-BBC film journalist and it was such an eye opener.  He was telling us that they used to have cameras on either side of a football pitch back in the day for better coverage, which seems totally logical.  The effect though, is that when you switch cameras you switch the direction of play, so the red team are shooting right to left, switch cameras and they are now shooting left to right, switch back and they right to left again!

Little things I hadn't even thought about suddenly became blindingly bloody obvious.  Like starting a shot out of focus then focusing is more effective than starting in focus from a distance and zooming in.  Build the shot properly 2/3:1/3, so never have the subject of your shot in the middle, have it 1/3 in, up, down, across etc.  If you can't see it properly, just don't have it there! Have a reference, so not just a mountain, have a mountain and something, to give the mountain a sense of scale and awe.  Match the narration to the video, so if you say bird, have a picture of a bird, not a picture of a waterfall. 

Hmmm, I hope you don't think I am being hyper-critical!  Sorry if you do  :-[

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:18:01, 08/03/19 »
I don't watch many walking videos because you have to trawl through such a lot to find anything of interest. Another hill, another field, another stile, another lane, all look pretty much the same to me.

I have found 'Cruising the Cut', a chap called David who sold up, chucked his job and bought a narrow boat. His videos are a good example of clear and concise, and have lots of useful information and nice views. He has made a couple of hundred, and now youtube is part of his freelance work.

Take a look for ideas, in my opinion he has got it about right.
https://cruisingthecut.co.uk/

ilona

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:39:25, 08/03/19 »
A six hour walk should be a 3 minute video! 

Is this written in stone somewhere?

Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:48:37, 08/03/19 »
Maggot
It would be interesting to see some of your walking videos posted on the forum for reference,  :)
Ah just noticed the link
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Mick wmexile

« Reply #13 on: 12:58:03, 08/03/19 »

As others have already said, do it for yourself. Myself I just stick to taking the odd photos on my mobile or short video clips, but I do enjoy watching videos on "youtube" etc. I've had loads of inspiration watching some of these, a couple of  contributors I follow keenly, because they do numerous in the Peak District, which is my closeby and my very frequent haunt, are Dean Read and a guy more my age named Patrick Dickenson. Apart from walks and wildcamps their videos contain great pieces of info on many various things. In fact when I happen to be watching any of their vids, the wife (a non walker) very often watches with me.
So do your own thing, you will always get an audience, keep up the good work
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:01:16, 08/03/19 »
It would be interesting to see some of your walking videos posted on the forum for reference,  :)
Ah just noticed the link

Are these your vids in the link Maggot?

I started watching the top one. A minute in and all I have seen so far is a bloke at a desk talking about going out on the hill and a few other people talking about going out on the hill? Where is the walking/scenery stuff?
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy