Author Topic: Webbing  (Read 1078 times)

Maggot

Webbing
« on: 14:07:32, 18/11/18 »
Now after my years in the Army I have steered away from most things green, and anything camouflage!  Except I do still have my poncho and bivvi bag!

My poncho is the old 58 pattern design, and while waterproofing it this weekend I got all nostalgic and wondered why people tend not to use webbing to carry their stuff rather than a rucksack?  The 58 pattern particularly had loads of useful pouches and wotnot, and we could sew together the kidney pouches etc (although the large pack was useless).

So hazy rose tinted memories aside, (and the fact you would look like a complete nobber walking over the Mendips like a squaddie from the 80s) the flexibility, and spread of the load, the options for quick retrieval of stuff all make me wonder why the modular system of a webbing design has never been taken up by a commercial company for civilian use?

Any ideas or thoughts?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Webbing
« Reply #1 on: 17:08:21, 18/11/18 »
There you go Maggot. It could make your fortune. O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:09:37, 18/11/18 »
A modular system was made. At the start of the 80s my first backpack consisted of a tubular aluminium frame like an inverted 'U' with webbing straps stretched across the two sides, onto which were clipped a number of pouches of different sizes.

It was total crap and I soon ditched it. It was uncomfortable, the load was not balanced with the pouches jiggling about and I could hear them jostling against each other while I walked. Overall capacity was less with all the little pouches compared with putting everything in one big sack, because (a) there was space around each one, and (b) you could never fill each one to the brim with your various-sized bits and pieces. Worst of all was trying to remember which pouch something you wanted was in, I invariably opened and closed about three of them before I found what I was looking for.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:51:12, 18/11/18 »
Most of what I carry is quite bulky (jacket, fleece, lunch box, bottles/flasks),  the only things that would fit in little pouches would be first aid kit, torch, snacks, microspikes and water filter so I need to use a pack.

If you want to try a modular system you could buy a Molle pack, Amazon and ebay have loads of pouches and means of attaching them if you want to go down that route.
Not all those who wander are lost

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:31:12, 18/11/18 »
I made a webbing belt with eyelets in to attach carabiner clips to for dangling stuff from as a "less cumbersome" option to a rucksack.  in my mind's eye it could carry a bottle of water, my waterproof jacket, a sarnie box in a bag, my camera, phone/keys/money. Wore it once.  Decided I looked, at best, like some sort of american trapper with a "brace of gadgets" dangling off me, and at worst, like a complete pillock.  Sacked that idea off pronto.

Pitboot

« Reply #5 on: 00:29:37, 29/11/18 »
I'm an ex squaddie too and well remember tabbing around wearing 58 pattern. I know it was very tough but it was a nightmare when it got wet.
On ops we would often bin the 58 kit and just do belt order with a bergen, much better.

It was adequate at the time but now with the benefit of experience I prefer a single sack on my back with everything I need in it.

I don't carry ammo or radio batteries or any of that military junk any more, thank god.

As for a modular system, I think the complexity of it would outweigh the benefits, and with all the fittings and adjustments there would be too much to go wrong. I used Molle gear in my later army career and did not like it.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:23:40, 29/11/18 »
I use webbing (95 pattern) at work when I have to, but prefer an assault vest for ease of access and  it having so much around hips.
In civvy life, I've tried fishing vests and gillets with lots of pockets. Ok for shirt potters, but not suitable for long walks where anything bulky is needed.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:11:30, 29/11/18 »
As a military gentleman of some 30 years service, I thought webbing was what ladies of quality used to hold their long socks up. The only time I used it was to hold my water bottle and respirator haversack. That way I always had something to drink and somewhere to keep my sandwiches.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy