Author Topic: What brush to use when waxing your leather boots (and what technique)  (Read 8465 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
My finger, cheap and quick.

^this. Warmth from my fingers helps soften the wax.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jo90

I use a finger to wax too, then to get them finish them off by running the hairdryer over on them, making sure the wax melts and gets deep into the stitching, around the eyelets and into the creases of the boots.

rockhopper353

I use a finger to wax too, then to get them finish them off by running the hairdryer over on them, making sure the wax melts and gets deep into the stitching, around the eyelets and into the creases of the boots.

I too have used the hairdryer method in the past but does that harm the leather, heating it up?

jo90

Not that I've ever noticed, but I only use a gentle heat and only for a few seconds, just enough to melt the wax. I've always  found or it seems to help prolong the life of the stitching, I also find once the wax melts into the stitching holes  the wax then cools and seals the holes, making it less likely for water to seep into the boots.

rockhopper353

Not that I've ever noticed, but I only use a gentle heat and only for a few seconds, just enough to melt the wax. I've always  found or it seems to help prolong the life of the stitching, I also find once the wax melts into the stitching holes  the wax then cools and seals the holes, making it less likely for water to seep into the boots.

Yes it definitely helps to get the wax into the leather and stitching, it makes the process of waxing quicker as well. Be interested to hear others thoughts as well on any long term affects on the leather.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member

The people in George Fisher told me waxing was easier. Do you disagree? My boots are nubuck (Meindl Meran GTX) they told me I could use either.

I have the Meran and they have only ever had wax.

Put the tin of wax out in the sun to warm and soften.
Apply with a rag (microfibre cloth) rub well in in a small circular motion generating a bit more heat.
Apply thickly on stitching and work well into the stitching.
Rub well in.
Wait half an hour and 'polish' vigourously with a cloth.

The 'nubuck' has disappeared and they just look/feel like normal soft, smooth leather.
They are the most comfortable slippers (oops - Boots) I have had.

Works for me.
« Last Edit: 22:20:44, 12/11/18 by alan de enfield »

jo90

Yes it definitely helps to get the wax into the leather and stitching, it makes the process of waxing quicker as well. Be interested to hear others thoughts as well on any long term affects on the leather.
[/quote

My regular boots a pair of meindl Bhutans have been resoled once and are now into their fourth year. I'd say the uppers still look in fantastic condition.

jo90

P.s sorry not sure how the quote thing works.😕

rockhopper353

P.s sorry not sure how the quote thing works.😕

Good to hear, obviously not done them any harm then  O0

dav

Me too  O0
Slogger posting. And another me too! Fingers.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Slogger posting. And another me too! Fingers.
I can understand using a finger to apply wax but how do you work the wax into places a finger doesn't go such as around the hooks or to work it into junction between the leather and the sole without a brush?  I presume you still use brushes to clean your boots before applying the wax?  Do you buff your boots to remove excess wax?
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
It's all starting to sound a bit Swiss Tony now   ;D

Maggot

Fingers, definitely for wax etc

Polish may require gloves though!  I enjoy not having to have shiny boots nowadays, so it's all about condition now, wiggle your fingers into the nooks and crannies, they will go.

And additional benefit is that if you do it often enough you won't need waterproof gloves as your fingers will become waterproof  ;D

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member

And additional benefit is that if you do it often enough you won't need waterproof gloves as your fingers will become waterproof  ;D

My skin tends to be naturally pretty waterproof.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member

My skin tends to be naturally pretty waterproof.

If skin wasn’t waterproof, it could get very messy. :-\

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy