Author Topic: Thick and/or thin socks when hiking?  (Read 2336 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Thick and/or thin socks when hiking?
« on: 20:06:47, 17/07/18 »
When I hike for the day I have learned that to stay comfortable in my boots I need to use both thick and thin socks. In the morning I usually set off with thick socks, my feet slide into my boots easily, but by the afternoon I invariably change to thinner socks because my feet tend to swell. Only a small amount, but enough to make me uncomfortable. If I don't change socks I know that I'm more inclined to get sore feet which will cause me further discomfort the following day and beyond.

Does anyone else experience this phenomena?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Thick and/or thin socks when hiking?
« Reply #1 on: 20:18:36, 17/07/18 »
I wear thin underneath thick socks.  I do find towards the end my feet swell slightly but not enough to worry me.
Where there's a will ...

Ronin83

« Reply #2 on: 20:19:08, 17/07/18 »
Ah, the age old struggle of socks.
I find a simple pair of average socks is best for me.
2 socks = sweatsville(regardless of fabric. Tried everything)
Wool socks = sweatsville(despite all the claims)
Thin socks = sometimes ok, but only in summer
Thick socks = a bit sweaty, depends on fabric, weather etc and can take too much space in shoes/restrict movement

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:04:15, 17/07/18 »
I wear thin underneath thick socks.  I do find towards the end my feet swell slightly but not enough to worry me.
Ditto
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:17:52, 17/07/18 »

Exactly this.. Double ditto.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:08:38, 18/07/18 »
Thin liner socks then thicker ones on top of them. Never had a blister since I started using liner socks so why change something that works?

Mind you, being a Postie possibly helps  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:44:07, 18/07/18 »
I just wear the same thick-ish shop bought socks for everyday, hiking/working (in steel toe cap boot), just dont understand why its a problem for folk. I must be lucky, dont get blisters.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: 12:19:34, 18/07/18 »

I don't wear boots, blisters rarely a problem. I seem to have great success for months and then try a change, I sometimes get Golfers vasculitis-red blotches mainly in the calf area and then try a change of sock which works for a while to stop the redness. Many miles in all of these; two pair of Bridgedale liner, then Injinji toe socks, now one pair Bridgedale Light Hiker.

Beth FF

« Reply #8 on: 20:46:57, 18/07/18 »
I wear 1000 Mile socks with Salomon Speedcross trail running shoes and can't say I notice a change in my feet throughout the day. "Only" walking 11 milers at the moment though and not back to back so maybe once I do I'll see a difference.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:47:00, 19/07/18 »

I'm another thin then thick sock walker.

If I suspect that ticks are about, I wear stretchy tracksuit bottoms with a foot hoop (Ron Hill Tracksters), put on over the thin socks; then the thick socks go on, pulled up over the bottom of the tracksuit. Totally tick proof!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:36:16, 19/07/18 »
My tick 'proofer' is a cheap pair of Trespass ankle gaitors (useless for normal hiking in my view) which I bought years ago. Since I became aware of the dangers of Lyme Disease I wear when I'm running off road. I can put them on and off in a few seconds.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy