Author Topic: Anyone use a Sawyer Mini Water Filter ?  (Read 9288 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Anyone use a Sawyer Mini Water Filter ?
« Reply #30 on: 18:37:18, 02/06/18 »

I have used it 'at home' but not out in the 'field'.
Its simple to use and appears to do a good job (slightly cloudy pond water to clear potable water), not the fastest thing in the world but does the job and in my tests left no noticeable 'taste'.
Drop the end in the pond and the pre-filter takes out the 'big stuff', a few pumps and clear water starts to come out.
When the ceramic filter gets clogged you give it a rub over with the supplied emery paper and its good-to-go again. I have not used it enough to need to clean it.
It just sits in the 'spares' cupboard with various tents, sleeping bags, stoves etc.

You may have gathered I have a 'thing' about taste in the water, it doesn't matter if it is a 'plastic' taste, a 'chemically' taste or an 'earthy' taste. I just cannot abide any of them.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Last Edit: 23:26:39, 02/06/18 by alan de enfield »

marmottungsten

« Reply #32 on: 01:14:55, 10/06/18 »
Here is a couple of videos of the 'Soldier Filter' in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mdSEV0O_4s&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1fXS9iyGqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYg9tRm0Wvw

I was so impressed with the video reviews I have seen for the "Soldier Filter" (sometimes called the "Paratrooper filter" in the US), that I decided to return my unused MSR Trailshot and get my money back.  I have now ordered a Soldier filter, for under £18 with free postage, direct from China.  There are two versions available...One comes with a draw cord carry pouch printed with a digital woodland Camo pattern and the other comes with a hard carry case, very much like the one you carry a pair of glasses in, but slightly bigger...I went for the drawcord pouch as it should be slightly lighter.  A couple of things I picked from the review videos:  1) The O-ring on the filter's plunger is lubricated in the factory with some form of grease. This grease has a "chemically" taste to it which is passed to the first couple of litres or so of water that is pumped with it, so you need to either discard the first 2-3 litres of water you filter with it, or before use, take out the plunger and wipe the grease off it...Water itself is a lubricant so it's probably not essential to lubricate the O-ring, but if it is, then I would use a very light coating of cooking oil rather than grease, as it is edible and doesn't have much taste to so it won't taint the taste of the water so much.  One reviewer mentioned using "plumbers grease" to lubricate the O-ring...I am assuming this is some sort of non-toxic grease that has very little taste to it, but to be honest I really don't know.
2) Under pressure the angled outlet pipe fitting on the top of the filter body can pop off.  The easy solution is to keep it pressed down with the thumb of the hand you are holding the filter body with, while you pump with the other hand.
3) Replacement ceramic filters are available for under £13.
4) One reviewer complained that he thought the outlet tube was too short...Both the inlet and outlet tubing can be swapped for longer tubing if you wish.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 08:09:53, 10/06/18 »

I was so impressed with the video reviews I have seen for the "Soldier Filter" (sometimes called the "Paratrooper filter" in the US), that I decided to return my unused MSR Trailshot and get my money back.  I have now ordered a Soldier filter, for under £18 with free postage, direct from China.  There are two versions available...One comes with a draw cord carry pouch printed with a digital woodland Camo pattern and the other comes with a hard carry case, very much like the one you carry a pair of glasses in, but slightly bigger...I went for the drawcord pouch as it should be slightly lighter.  A couple of things I picked from the review videos:  1) The O-ring on the filter's plunger is lubricated in the factory with some form of grease. This grease has a "chemically" taste to it which is passed to the first couple of litres or so of water that is pumped with it, so you need to either discard the first 2-3 litres of water you filter with it, or before use, take out the plunger and wipe the grease off it...Water itself is a lubricant so it's probably not essential to lubricate the O-ring, but if it is, then I would use a very light coating of cooking oil rather than grease, as it is edible and doesn't have much taste to so it won't taint the taste of the water so much.  One reviewer mentioned using "plumbers grease" to lubricate the O-ring...I am assuming this is some sort of non-toxic grease that has very little taste to it, but to be honest I really don't know.
2) Under pressure the angled outlet pipe fitting on the top of the filter body can pop off.  The easy solution is to keep it pressed down with the thumb of the hand you are holding the filter body with, while you pump with the other hand.
3) Replacement ceramic filters are available for under £13.
4) One reviewer complained that he thought the outlet tube was too short...Both the inlet and outlet tubing can be swapped for longer tubing if you wish.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on it - particularly as a comparison to other types that you have used.
I have only used the Sawyer Mini and the 'soldier' and to be honest, apart from different methods of getting the water into them, there is not much difference in the result.
Both appear to have the same specification for filter size (1 micron)

I have the 'hard case' version of the 'Soldier', it is handy to keep the cleaning sand-paper, a couple of condoms (you never know when you might need one !!!), and a small plastic bag to keep the 'dirty' pick up pipe in to avoid cross contamination.

marmottungsten

« Reply #34 on: 12:16:54, 10/06/18 »

I'd be interested in your thoughts on it - particularly as a comparison to other types that you have used.
I have only used the Sawyer Mini and the 'soldier' and to be honest, apart from different methods of getting the water into them, there is not much difference in the result.
Both appear to have the same specification for filter size (1 micron)

I have the 'hard case' version of the 'Soldier', it is handy to keep the cleaning sand-paper, a couple of condoms (you never know when you might need one !!!), and a small plastic bag to keep the 'dirty' pick up pipe in to avoid cross contamination.

Good idea...One youtube reviewer showed dirty water can stay in the pick up pipe after use and the only way to get rid of it is to pull off the pipe to release the slight vacuum that is holding the water in it...With certain types of tubing this would gradually stretch the end of the tube where it pushes onto the filter so it no longer seals up, but I am guessing the Soldier filter uses flexible silicone tubing?  If so, it should keep its shape for longer . 

dank86

« Reply #35 on: 14:01:57, 13/06/18 »
I've got mine fitted inline on my bladder bigger mouth opening and larger capacity means less filling. When I make camp I can hang the bladder and use it as a gravity filter

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 08:03:12, 26/06/18 »
Just found this You Tube review of the bacteria filtering ability of the Mini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRhiI43P_tI

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:07:30, 27/06/18 »
Just found this You Tube review of the bacteria filtering ability of the Mini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRhiI43P_tI

Good find.

I've been a bit concerned about my Sawyer after that Tuft University test where they got fouled quite badly and failed to stop bacteria after a while. In their defence, they were being used as a "village tap" in Africa or somewhere and so getting 100s or 1000's of times more use than we've ever get out of them. However Sawyer's reaction seemed a bit weaselly to me and it knocked my confidence in their claims.

That YT vid helps restore some confidence.

marmottungsten

« Reply #38 on: 11:53:55, 27/06/18 »

Good find.

I've been a bit concerned about my Sawyer after that Tuft University test where they got fouled quite badly and failed to stop bacteria after a while. In their defence, they were being used as a "village tap" in Africa or somewhere and so getting 100s or 1000's of times more use than we've ever get out of them. However Sawyer's reaction seemed a bit weaselly to me and it knocked my confidence in their claims.

That YT vid helps restore some confidence.

I would not be so confident if I were you...Watch the video again and you will see that the two samples he sent the lab that did the testing were only 100ml...If his Sawyer Mini is new, filtering out 99.999999 recurring bacteria from a mere 100ml of water is not going to be a problem...The one on the village tap in Africa, however, has probably filtered many hundreds of litres, perhaps even over a thousand litres ...The obvious question is, did the Africans in question remember to back flush their Sawyer after each use?  If not, then it is no wonder they are now having problems with it.

Finney

« Reply #39 on: 17:10:14, 10/10/21 »
The Sawyer Mini is a great that works as a basic water filter system with many applications. The mini uses a hollow-fiber membrane to filter contaminated water through the process of osmosis, and leaves clean drinking water on the inside. This article will give you a few guidelines for picking out a domestic RO system, and how to care for and use your domestic ro system for the best results. Domestic RO systems are a great way to filter out dangerous contaminants in your water, but they can be difficult to care for. They contain multiple filters that can break or get clogged if not cared for properly. Having a good understanding of the components of an domestic ro system will make it much easier for you to take care of your filtration system.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 15:56:04, 12/10/21 »
I have thought about buying a Sawyer for some time but I've hesitated. I've always used a Lifestraw and find it perfectly OK. I carry a foldable plastic cup on the back of my rucksack and all I do is fill the cup with water, place my Lifestraw in it and suck, can't say that I've ever had a problem with it yet, very easy to use. I always have my rucksack bladder with 1 to 2L of water in it and will resort to my Lifestraw when I need or want to. The Lifestraw is very easy to store in or on the back of my rucksack. The only bottle I carry, 1L (empty) is for my shower water.

I'm fairly sure I'll make a Sawyer decision but will now leave it until 2022. Some review sites suggest the Squeeze is well thought of followed by the Mini and then the Micro.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:47:50, 12/10/21 »
I'm very pleased with my micro squeeze, GWM. Recommended.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy