Author Topic: A waterproof hood for hoodless jackets?  (Read 2155 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
A waterproof hood for hoodless jackets?
« on: 09:06:03, 29/11/19 »
May seem a bit silly question but the only hooded clothing that I now own is on my waterproof outer coat. My Marmot Precip hood leaked badly so I have cut off the hood (the test of the jacket is still waterproof) and when wore it the other day as a windproof jacket, I wasn't expecting rain but it did and I had to admit to myself that "I need a (tempory) hood!"

Does anyone know if I can buy a stand-alone hood? It must be very lightweight, can fold down to just stuff in my jacket pocket, would be waterproof and ideally would cover my shoulders as well.

Although I didn't take it with me at the time (my fault) I have cut the hood off of a cheap poncho and it does work well over my jackets when I need it, but if I can, I want one that is made of even lighter material.

I know the Queen sometimes wears such a headcover (my mum used to wear one as well but the design doesn't cover shoulders) and lots of ladies also wear burkas, a head and shoulders design that if there was a waterproof model and of the right lightweight material it might just be what I'm looking for? If nothing like this exists I will just persevere with my poncho cut-off.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
Re: A waterproof hood for hoodless jackets?
« Reply #1 on: 13:59:21, 01/12/19 »
www.wish.com/share/1606icwiim

Doesn't look all that waterproof and let's just say; searching online for "hood" was...  erm.... interesting  :o 

but maybe it'll give you something to show someone who's handy with needle and thread  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:57:20, 01/12/19 »
Ever since I started to look at keeping dry without buying another expensive 'waterproof' jacket and to put being wet in a totally separate category from all other weathers my quest has taken me back to clothing that I already own. My Marmot Precip, for example, I've cut the hood off (it leaked) rather than throw it away I now use it as a winter windproof jacket when I'm out on a local hike and I'm using my 20-year-old Blacks full zip fleece jacket as a mid-layer on top of my bamboo material long sleep baselayer. They are working very well together and are keeping me warm and are better at coping with the issue of inner condensation than my previous Paramo Alta 2.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:11:41, 01/12/19 »
I use a hat, more comfortable than a hood, keeps the sun and the rain off and superior to a hood if you are a glasses wearer.  All a hood is going to do is show the rain where your neck hole is.
Solvitur Ambulando

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:12:43, 01/12/19 »
Just a thought; is THIS any good to you? There's a few on there between £30 and £75, I know it's not really all that cheap but thinking outside the box a bit

Edit; just looked at the pictures, probably not the best choice in hindsight  :-\
« Last Edit: 15:19:23, 01/12/19 by Sleepy »

zuludog

« Reply #6 on: 16:32:14, 01/12/19 »
Search t'Net for 'Sou'wester' and 'mountain cap'; lots to choose from

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:22:56, 01/12/19 »
Invest in a Lowe Alpine Triple Point Mountain Cap, far far better than any fold away hood.

Some hoods, have rather poor adjustment, and get blown to kingdom come in bad weather, offering little or no protection.

My Mountain Cap is one of  the best bits of kit ive bought over the years, and there are simply few fully waterproof caps or hoods  to rival it.

They are fully adjustable for all head diameters, and have a nice cosy fleece lining.

It really comes in handy when its throwing it down, even in the summer months, and ive even used it in the depths of winter whilst climbing Snowdon for the New Year.

Mine is in Red, but they are in a few varying colours, and at around £35, its a great investment for year round use, and very high quality.

Its biggest bonus, is that its fully waterproof, and keeps your head warm, and if adjusted properly, it stays glued to your head.
« Last Edit: 18:36:32, 01/12/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:37:42, 01/12/19 »
Thanks for the suggestions. I would be very tempted to buy another Marmot Precip but only if they made a model which is the same length as my cheap Champion long coat. I like the Southwester but my wife said, its not really ME!    :)  I clicked on the Amazon page, clicked for a Medium and the price came up as £99! As for hats, I have two, the Lowe Alpine and another (can't remember the brand) both work in the same way, both have a peak, both are waterproof and both cover my ears and both are very good. On a cold and breezy morning like today, I wore one when I went for my early morning off-road run.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:06:13, 01/12/19 »
Costs a lot of money to get them from China to the Amazon Delivery shed, you know ;D .

Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy