Author Topic: Covid: UK staycation boom predicted once lockdown lifts  (Read 2025 times)

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Covid: UK staycation boom predicted once lockdown lifts

Staycations are expected to boom in 2021 after lockdown ends, UK holiday firms have said.
Bosses at the Caravan and Motorhome Club said the lifting of restrictions would be like "a cork popping from a bottle".
Director general Nick Lomas said although coronavirus had hit the industry hard, they were optimistic about the coming season.
Other firms said they also expected more people to holiday in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55659639

Nice for the industry but horrible for us. Big crowds everywhere. Sad
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Covid: UK staycation boom predicted once lockdown lifts
« Reply #1 on: 18:50:44, 16/01/21 »
Yep, I'm getting regular emails/newsletters from a holiday cottage rental company I've used a couple of times practically giving away accommodation.  I don't think as walkers, we'll have much to worry about given the locations of their staycation offers though  O0

.... and our canny ability to use a map and compass to avoid the honeypot locations...  ;)

I think it's great.  Keep all the crowds in one place (club house bar, pool, playpark, local attractions, etc. ) and give the area a 3 mile radius wide berth.  Yep, should be fine.  Fret ye not  O0

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:08:08, 16/01/21 »
True, but there will always be spillover to "our" domain.
Also, if you want to car-camp at a commercial campsite and just do daywalks, even in remote areas, these campsites will be crowded. But true wild camping shouldn't be affected that much.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:06:11, 16/01/21 »
Thanks for saving me a fortune by the way  O0

I’ve been looking into the financial implications of buying a touring caravan and siting it on a seasonal pitch for a year or two as a base for walking holidays and last minute weekend getaways.  If everywhere’s going to be overrun with staycationers then it’s a non-starter.

Probably saved me about £10k  :D

Thedogsmother

« Reply #4 on: 22:00:30, 16/01/21 »
I thought this too. I know it is rather selfish but I think it will take a bit of getting used to when things even themselves out with all the places we would usually retreat to getting very busy indeed. I will be glad when things are on an even keel again and people can relax a bit more, but I don’t relish the constant tidal wave of staycationers that will inevitably happen.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:47:14, 16/01/21 »
So, on one hand, we want to promote walking, on the other, we don't want (that many) people walking where we walk.

I know I am going to be accused of "trolling" but seriously people listen to yourselves. :(

Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:27:24, 17/01/21 »
I think if we stay away from Snowdon, Ben Nevis and 200 yards either side of Land's End etc then most of "our" walks won't be too bad - if they are busier then it will give us time for a chat and a rest!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:45:46, 17/01/21 »
So, on one hand, we want to promote walking, on the other, we don't want (that many) people walking where we walk.

Indeed. Human nature.

I live on the southern edge of the Lake District, and have learnt to accept the fact that we have chosen a very popular area to live, and that the Central Lakes will be swamped during the height of the tourist season. No point in grumbling about it - it was our choice. But even here it is easy to avoid the crowds if you put your mind to it.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:46:29, 17/01/21 »
Thanks for saving me a fortune by the way  O0

I’ve been looking into the financial implications of buying a touring caravan and siting it on a seasonal pitch for a year or two as a base for walking holidays and last minute weekend getaways.  If everywhere’s going to be overrun with staycationers then it’s a non-starter.

Probably saved me about £10k  :D

Tent is cheaper, Mel!  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:49:42, 17/01/21 »
True, but there will always be spillover to "our" domain.
Also, if you want to car-camp at a commercial campsite and just do daywalks, even in remote areas, these campsites will be crowded. But true wild camping shouldn't be affected that much.

Even some of the more obvious wild camping spots feel a bit crowded at times - I spotted several tents around Angle Tarn (the Bowfell one) in September last year. Easy to avoid, though.
« Last Edit: 09:32:43, 17/01/21 by richardh1905 »

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #10 on: 10:00:06, 17/01/21 »
i shall no doubt be tripping over more tents on my coastpath walks then.  I tend to walk quite early and normally see one or two each time. 
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:11:43, 17/01/21 »
Hopefully it will bring more income into the area and keep more people in employment rather than spending it abroad. I'll try and do my bit but I must admit I'm looking forward to a holiday/walk abroad.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:38:26, 17/01/21 »

I know I am going to be accused of "trolling" but seriously people listen to yourselves. :(

I'm just being honest. I prefer less crowds.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:47:21, 17/01/21 »
Nice for the industry but horrible for us. Big crowds everywhere.

Actually bigger crowds on the already popular hills and in the usual suspect places. Since we avoid such places at times when most people would be there, it will barely affect us at all. I imagine it might have a big effect on those basing their walks on B&Bs.

It's hard to tell when the situation will finally approach 'normal', but in our area things are progressing surprisingly fast: my wife had her first CV jab yesterday. It'll be a while for me though.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:45:16, 17/01/21 »
Avoiding the honeypot areas and crowds for a walk really is a non-issue for me.  My main problem will probably be finding available, reasonably priced accommodation, be that caravan, holiday let, B&B or campsite.

I’ll probably revert back to mid-week escapes during term time to maximise my options in that respect.

… if the mountain won’t come to Mohammed…

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy