Author Topic: Covid: UK staycation boom predicted once lockdown lifts  (Read 2024 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Covid: UK staycation boom predicted once lockdown lifts
« Reply #15 on: 14:02:15, 17/01/21 »
You're all overlooking the fact that even if you do know somehwhere quiet to go, the roads or public transport to get where you want to go are going to be jam packed once everyone is let out, along with the pubs and restaurants, etc., while accomodation of any sort, even campsites, is going to be booked up and with higher prices - supply and demand.

my wife had her first CV jab yesterday.

Despairing of hearing that you people up north are getting jabs, like a close relative a year younger than me with no health conditions that I know of and living in a remote rural hamlet, yet I'm in outer London, in the right age group, with cancer in remission and minor coronary disease, and I've yet to be called. Just saying.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:31:35, 17/01/21 »
Sundays are dangerous! So many people about, even in the woods!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:36:40, 22/01/21 »
I've thought about the possibility of crowded National Trails once lockdown lifts. If I was to make an educated guess as to which one will attract the least number of people I think it will be the Glyndwr's Way. When I did it a few years ago I only saw one other hiker in 9 days.

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 22:42:47, 22/01/21 »
As this topic is about staycationers overcrowding walking areas it has been moved to General Walking Discussion. Any posts not related to walking have been removed.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:46:21, 22/01/21 »
Sundays are dangerous! So many people about, even in the woods!
I agree gunwarfman, Saturdays as well for walks around Durham, need to go walking later at weekends.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:20:39, 23/01/21 »
I’m one for setting off early, so that pretty much eliminates the worst of crowds. Even honeypots like Snowdon are ok if you get going at dawn. I agree that increased traffic may be a pain in the Lakes and Snowdonia, but I think these areas really need a tourism boost to get back on an even keel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:43:03, 23/01/21 »
Yes - a lot of tourist businesses have been having a desperately tough time, so a staycation boom will mean salvation for many.

..but sadly some have fallen by the wayside - two pubs shut down and up for sale in Cartmel (South Lakes).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:16:17, 24/01/21 »
I certainly don't expect the new normal to be the same as the old normal. Having said that, what we viewed as normal pre-Coved (sorry!) was just what we had all gradually got accustomed to. I've always preferred to walk solo and enjoyed having the hills to myself. When I first started  going over to the Lakes in the 1970's things were very different. Overall less people certainly, but on a sunny Bank Holiday it was still going to be busy on Helvellyn etc. I got into the habit of winter / off-season trips and the contrast then was much more pronounced. Accommodation  was in short supply in winter with probably most of the B&B's and campsites closing for months. Wherever I walked in the Lakes, I would hardly see a soul. Winter kit is more widely available now and getting out in those months has become more popular, but even now in winter it's not much of a challenge to find somewhere a bit quieter.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 10:54:22, 24/01/21 »
I suspect that by the end of March if it is still the requirement to be in lockdown, that many people will just take the view that they've had enough and will begin to disregard Government or medical advice. The vaccine is being 'sold' to us as the Government's way to try to get out of their mess and they will increasingly think of votes above all else anyway, so I think the 'message' will become weaker and a lot more people will take the view, either "eff it' or "I'm vaccinated so I'm OK." I suspect that I will be one of them, for me, not because of the vaccination, but because in my head I can rationalise and tell myself that because I hike I can keep away from people anyway. I keep telling myself to think in a rational, responsible and mature mode of thinking but I'm finding it harder now the evenings are getting lighter, signs of spring are just about on the way (I'm going to look for wild garlic shoots this morning) and the weather I know will become warmer. And I'm not forgetting the other important factor in my life, my age and knowing that time is increasingly working against me.

McFaggott

« Reply #24 on: 11:41:38, 24/01/21 »
I suspect that by the end of March if it is still the requirement to be in lockdown, that many people will just take the view that they've had enough and will begin to disregard Government or medical advice. The vaccine is being 'sold' to us as the Government's way to try to get out of their mess and they will increasingly think of votes above all else anyway, so I think the 'message' will become weaker and a lot more people will take the view, either "eff it' or "I'm vaccinated so I'm OK."

Reported.Politically biased and subversive post.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:24:32, 24/01/21 »
As this topic is about staycationers overcrowding walking areas it has been moved to General Walking Discussion. Any posts not related to walking have been removed.
Get ready for another cleanup, some long term members just can't help themselves - give the moderators a bit of a rest, they will be fed up with non-walking issues.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:07:07, 24/01/21 »
I'm just voicing an opinion as to how I think my near future hiking will unfold. Whether people like it or not, we do have a Government in this country which is still going to be influencing how people will use their hiking time. I was hoping to convey how a Government message can (as I see it anyway) can become diluted (for perhaps a variety of reasons) as people increasingly, because of factors like the vaccine, will want to get out and about more, no matter what the message may be at the time. That's my view today, whether I'm right or not remains to be seen. In the meantime, I am preparing myself for a hiking 'off' and getting my equipment together in the hope I can into action from April onwards. And I suspect there will be a 'staycation boom' and I expect to do more wild camping than I've ever done before. I'm just trying as best I can to 'read' the future.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:40:55, 24/01/21 »
I'm just voicing an opinion as to how I think my near future hiking will unfold. Whether people like it or not, we do have a Government in this country which is still going to be influencing how people will use their hiking time. I was hoping to convey how a Government message can (as I see it anyway) can become diluted (for perhaps a variety of reasons) as people increasingly, because of factors like the vaccine, will want to get out and about more, no matter what the message may be at the time. That's my view today, whether I'm right or not remains to be seen. In the meantime, I am preparing myself for a hiking 'off' and getting my equipment together in the hope I can into action from April onwards. And I suspect there will be a 'staycation boom' and I expect to do more wild camping than I've ever done before. I'm just trying as best I can to 'read' the future.

Which you could have done without making it political. Comments about votes etc are clearly political.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 14:43:34, 24/01/21 »
Interesting that McFaggott’s only two posts so far have been that he has “Reported to moderator”.  O0 Maybe a few posts themselves and become involved with the forum before reporting long standing members.
Though GWM you do tend to go a bit off topic sometimes!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:51:53, 24/01/21 »
Who is this McFaggott character? - good to see someone taking GWM's subversive behaviour seriously, if he didn't get reported so often I think he would be egging on an insurrection.  Chairman Reg as Supreme Leader  ;) ;) .  Though, in all seriousness GWM raises some interesting points, though probably best not raised in here.

Looks like there will be lots of staycationing again - but there are still places to go which are quiet at the right time - to be honest I'll take anywhere as long as its not these four sodding walls.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy