Author Topic: writting a presentation for WI  (Read 2509 times)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
writting a presentation for WI
« on: 19:40:00, 14/06/18 »

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Always eager to add to my self-employed skills I'm creating a presentation for WI ect called MY Coat to Coast Walk and Hosteling adventures. I'm using a mixture of power point and props ie what i take including clothing treking poles, ear plugs ect .

topics
different options from package tours to wild camping.
The pebble on the coast to coast
How AW came to create it.
Training and preparation
How I started hostelling at 16 and how I cam back to it in my 40s
The difference between a hostel, YHA, camping barn and bunk house.
How different hostels can be ie castles to miners cottages
How I got one up on Maddona by drying my bum under a handdryer.

props
Treking poles the benefits of
earplugs yes ladies do snore
how to choose and wear a ruck sack
boots. and general clothing.
maps

People
Explaining to Americans about public footpaths when they thought someone would shoot them for walking across farm land.
An Australian lady who couldn't read a map because all the trails she had been on before were sign posted.
The man who was walking up from Patterdale to Angle tarn who could only bent one knee due to a motor bike accident.
my obsession with locally made ice cream

Different flora and fauna Ive seen with photos and spitfires on hawswater.
Safety as a solo woman

« Last Edit: 19:43:53, 14/06/18 by madame cholet »
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Kukkudrill

Re: writting a presentation for WI
« Reply #1 on: 21:39:40, 14/06/18 »
Sounds interesting and entertaining. But how long will your presentation be? You might have more material than you have time for.
Make the most of the available light

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:47:01, 14/06/18 »
I would think that the most interesting things would be the funny stories/anecdotes.

Definitely have way more material than you think you need.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:03:14, 14/06/18 »
thanks I'll edit it once I've finished just checking the time  i think its anything between 30 mins and 1 hour. just have a reply its about 45 mins including questions so i'm aiming for about 35 to 40ish
« Last Edit: 22:18:40, 14/06/18 by madame cholet »

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:14:54, 14/06/18 »
I have done hundreds of WI talks, mostly on my truck driving work, and lately on my frugal living/brilliant life on a pension. I have three to do in July. I remember the first one, I spent ages making notes, then condensing it down into prompt cards. An audience of about 100 in a village hall in Derbyshire, scary. I soon ditched the cards, I knew my subject and didn't need them. I found it easier to ad lib off the top of my head. I had 20 photographs of my work made into slides, and gave brief details about each job.

What they want is entertaining, not all the technical details, no need to go too deeply into it. Tell them stories, talk to them like you are having a chat with a friend. Many times I have been told I was the best speaker they have ever had. They laughed until they nearly cried, and went home in a happy mood.

In my experience they never paid very much, I only got enough to cover my expenses. I didn't and still don't do it as a job, it's a hobby which I enjoy. Once you start doing talks for them your name will get passed around and you will get more bookings. They usually do a programme for a whole year, so sometimes it's a long time from the phone call to doing the actual talk. One of those I am doing next month was booked over a year ago.

Good luck with it, you don't have to be word perfect. You get about 40 minutes, then questions after.

Ilona

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:23:53, 14/06/18 »
Thanks Ilona I thought I'd just put up photos with titles on and ad lib around each topic just a little on each topic so no one gets bored. I'm happier doing that than reading.It a small WI only be about 20 people, they are paying £25 and its in the next village so I'm happy with that some of the bigger organisations pay £50. I don't earn much so It all helps.
« Last Edit: 22:28:26, 14/06/18 by madame cholet »

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:38:42, 14/06/18 »
That's a good one to start with. Once over the initial nervousness I found that the bigger the audience the easier it is. It's actually hard work to entertain a small audience. I have done some Rotary Clubs and Round Tables, and Probus, you might get asked to do those. Oh, and ladies luncheon clubs as well. Enjoy yourself, and they will enjoy listening.

Ilona

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:53:57, 14/06/18 »
Don't go too big on the gear.   It is simply a tool to get out and about, the anecdotes will be the real gold for this sort of audience.

You might want to tell some funny stories, keep it light and fun, I would personally mention LNT (leave no trace) principles and the importance of leaving nature as you found it for others.   

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 00:26:27, 15/06/18 »
Thanks Ilona I thought I'd just put up photos with titles on and ad lib around each topic just a little on each topic so no one gets bored.
Just remember the best ad libs are those that have been well rehearsed.Try to record your talk so that if you do come up with a cracker it is easier to remember it for the next time.
Too little, too late, too bad......

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:35:40, 15/06/18 »
Thanks everyone Ive got about 20 slides together in a logical order I'm going to practice it in front of a few friends  now.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:19:19, 15/06/18 »
When you have done a few you will learn what works and what doesn't. Get feedback from their faces, are they smiling or are they tut tutting. I like to nudge the boundaries a little bit. A shocked look means that I had better not go down that avenue again, laughter means they liked it and want more of the same.

Once you have got the basic talk embedded in your head you can go off on a tangent. Your head will be racing ahead, follow it with your mouth. It's like a walk, you go down the main track and branch off at either side, then get back on track again.

Laughter is infectious, that's why a larger audience is easier. Some want to laugh but hold back, then join in when they see others giggling. Move about the floor, don't stand there like a stick. Lots of gesticulation. Before you start ask if those at the back can hear you. Project your voice to the back of the room.

Can't think of anything else, you'll be alright. Loosen up and enjoy.

Ilona

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:16:49, 17/06/18 »
Did it go well? I hope so.

I was once asked, a few times in fact, to give a talk to some 8 year olds at my sons school about living in Kent and Hop Picking when I were a lad. I even drove to Kent the first time and 'borrowed' a fresh bine from a local hop garden to show the children what hops actually looked like. I explained at one point how people, in Victorian times, because of trains, could travel from London into deepest Kent and stay there in little huts for about six weeks a year, to earn money and have a holiday out of the city. One little girl I remember well put her hand up and said to me "Sir, are you a Victorian?" I can't remember how I handled that one?

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 05:32:07, 07/07/18 »
   Your talk on Thursday at Aldwincle WI was awesome Rachel. You are a natural and I look forward to future talks. Your love and passion for walking clearly showed in your knowledge and enthusiasm. I am sure you are going to have lots of opportunities to share this. And I would highly recommend you to other WIs and groups. Xx[/color]

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:51:05, 07/07/18 »
Well done  O0

ilona

dank86

« Reply #14 on: 12:01:56, 08/07/18 »
I'd skip using PowerPoint and go for something more engaging like prezi, no matter how good a PowerPoint presentation is people will zone out because it's a PowerPoint presentation

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy