Author Topic: Maps and Walking in New Zealand  (Read 4411 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Maps and Walking in New Zealand
« on: 22:43:15, 13/08/19 »
So before Ninthace and I bury the previous thread on mobile apps. I thought it time to open up a separate thread.

Good idea.  My DiL's family farms near New Plymouth.  Ninthace minor climbed Taranaki for his stag party.

I downloaded the NZ topomap app.  Great tool.  I took a snapshot of the greater area around Mount Taranaki. Then closed the app, switched off my WiFi connection and opened the app.  The whole lot is now saved on my android tablet, including the aerial photos of the area.

I am hoping my son, he is in Wellington, wlll download it, to his to see how it performs with live GPS.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Maps and Walking in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: 23:05:03, 13/08/19 »
That would be ideal. 
As I said, ViewRanger can do the same thing but requires an inexpensive subscription to get LINZ mapping. 

Don’t know if you have been to NZ before but they are the friendliest, most helpful people I have met.  All the trails we walked were well marked.   I have have walked a trail on the slopes of Taranaki but not climbed it.  However I did spend an afternoon gliding over it up to cloud base and the paths looked good.  By all accounts it is a bit loose near the top.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:57:55, 17/08/19 »
First time in NZ for MrsG and I.  We have a month mid Nov to mid Dec.

Edd loaded up NZ Topo Map.  The GPS updates nice and quick.  The Cartography reminds me of the old one inch  series OS maps.  The cache allows you to down load some pretty big sections and you can store them on your SD card.  All for free, what's not to like, good find. O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:14:05, 17/08/19 »
Well done.  The Topo map did not work well for me on my Etrex.  See this thread http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37938.15

Sort of got it in the end but had a problem with contours.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:41:55, 17/08/19 »
I did read that thread originally, but I could not get the maps to run from those original links I could only down load static files to viiew as pictures.

The specific App  my son and I now have installed is....

NZ Topo Map,. By Mason Blackwood.

This is running pretty seamlessly on our Android devices.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:46:16, 06/10/19 »
quote author=ninthace link=topic=39199.msg557988#msg557988 date=1570347328]Heading back to Rotorua shortly. No plans for Mount Doom this time. There is baby cooing to be done. Oh and a circuit of Taranaki, the family are talking part in a race round it.

We are heading to South island last two weeks of Nov.  Then North island first two weeks of Dec.  Rotorua will be towards the end before heading home.

Are there any must see place near Rotorua?
« Last Edit: 21:51:14, 06/10/19 by BuzyG »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:18:04, 06/10/19 »
The.obvious spots are the geothermal sites such as Whakarewarewa. They are right on the edge of town.  Even the park in the middle of town has steaming lakes and bubbling mud pools.  The Redwood Forest in the direction of the airport is good walking, quite a few trails  Apart from the main lake, the Blue Lake, Green Lake and Lake Tarawera are worth a trip.
If you want an Adrenalin ride, there are several street luge runs in the Skyline Gravity Park.
Solvitur Ambulando

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:42:27, 11/10/19 »
If you get the chance to complete the Tongariro alpine crossing, it's a real must. Probably one of my favourite walks of all time, beautiful scenery, and very varied. It's 19.4km in length with an option of an excursion to the top of mount ngauruhoe. (This was used as mount doom in the Lord of the rings).

Most get a bus to the other end and walk back to their car.
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:59:49, 11/10/19 »
Heard about this on R4 a couple of days ago. As a change from walking it looks fun and there is also a historical significance to the area.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g255107-d2512213-Reviews-Rere_Rockslide-Gisborne_Gisborne_Region_North_Island.html
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:46:37, 11/10/19 »
If you get the chance to complete the Tongariro alpine crossing, it's a real must. Probably one of my favourite walks of all time, beautiful scenery, and very varied. It's 19.4km in length with an option of an excursion to the top of mount ngauruhoe. (This was used as mount doom in the Lord of the rings).

Most get a bus to the other end and walk back to their car.
  We stayed in a motel in National Park.  They bussed us to the start and back from the finish as well as providing an early breakfast and packed lunch.  Really well organised too, in terms of accounting for people and making sure nobody was left on the mounatain.  We stayed 3 nights in the hope of getting the best weather window, which we did and it was still cack!  Smelt it rather than saw it for a lot of the walk but I've got the T shirt (which was included in the price).
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:50:12, 11/10/19 »
  We stayed in a motel in National Park.  They bussed us to the start and back from the finish as well as providing an early breakfast and packed lunch.  Really well organised too, in terms of accounting for people and making sure nobody was left on the mounatain.  We stayed 3 nights in the hope of getting the best weather window, which we did and it was still cack!  Smelt it rather than saw it for a lot of the walk but I've got the T shirt (which was included in the price).

Thinking we will stay a few nights in national park. Which motel did you book and do you recommend it?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:54:57, 11/10/19 »
We used the Adventure Lodge in National Park.  Probably not the swishest place in NP but you get a good breakfast and very friendly and helpful service.  The walls were a bit thin but we didn't have a noise problem.  It was a bit tired land dowdy looking but it was clean.  They had their own bus to take people to and from the crossing and offer a complete package deal that is bookable in advance from UK.  It includes the bus, safety brief which includes what to do if you think you are not going to make it, packed lunch, early breakfast hot rolls and the T shirt. 
http://www.adventurelodge.co.nz/

Tips - do your shopping before you get there.  The only shop is the filling station and it is pricey.  The Station is a good place to eat and is not too far a walk away.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:35:26, 11/10/19 »
Following this post with interest and taking notes as we are starting to plan a big holiday (for 6-8 weeks) to NZ. Possibly Australia too as we’ll probably only ever go once and I have a cousin in Queensland.  It may not be for a couple of years yet, we’ve just got a book out of the library to start working out what we want to do.  I don’t think we will do any LDWs but will certainly include some day walks.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:37:39, 12/10/19 »
I can echo route2rock's recommendation on the Tongariro Crossing. It's a great day walk. You can get trips which drop you at one end and pick you up at the end.

Also some great walking on the Abel Tasman trail on the South Island - powerful ribs will take you along the coast from Kaiteriteri as far as you want to go and you walk back. This can be either day walks or multi day depending on your wishes. Beaches to die for.

Great day walks too in the Remarkables, mountains near Queenstown.

Basically, New Zealant is a fabulous outdoor playground and the possibilities are endless.

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:53:10, 12/10/19 »
I can echo route2rock's recommendation on the Tongariro Crossing. It's a great day walk. You can get trips which drop you at one end and pick you up at the end.

Also some great walking on the Abel Tasman trail on the South Island - powerful ribs will take you along the coast from Kaiteriteri as far as you want to go and you walk back. This can be either day walks or multi day depending on your wishes. Beaches to die for.

Great day walks too in the Remarkables, mountains near Queenstown.

Basically, New Zealant is a fabulous outdoor playground and the possibilities are endless.

We actually went on a kayak trip on the Abel Tasman, you paddle out with a guide in the morning then walk back in the afternoon, also a good walk :)

The only overnight hiking we did was the Routeburn track, we did it over 3 days which made it really relaxed. Another beautiful walk :)
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy