Author Topic: Barbecue parties in the great outdoors  (Read 4115 times)

Davidedgarjones

Barbecue parties in the great outdoors
« on: 11:52:09, 26/06/20 »
Last Wednesday we were returning from a walk along the Kinder northern edge, descending the Sandy Heys path. Near to the bottom, above the reservoir we passed a a couple of youngsters who had a portable barbecue tray of food. I stopped and advised them that it is illegal to barbecue food in the national park because of the risk of moorland fires. They said they were unaware of this. Carrying on down there were a dozen or so youngsters lugging food and drink etc up the hill. It wasn't clear whether they were all one group. (We were also asked the way to the Mermaid's Pool twice.)

I wondered what further action to take, then at home decided to call the police, on 101 rather than 999 because it was not an emergency. After 10 minutes of waiting to talk to someone, I gave up and completed an online form. I've heard nothing back from the police.

What would you have done?

BTW: We saw two helicopters during the day but could not identify them. Is anyone carrying out surveillance of the Pennine moors?

Dave

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Barbecue parties in the great outdoors
« Reply #1 on: 12:11:17, 26/06/20 »
Highly unlikely there is any helicopter surveillance going on in a general way.  As to what I would have done, I don't have a problem with people BBQ'ing in the outdoors provided they do it in a sensible way and clear up after themselves.   Once a person is walking up a path in the middle of a forest with their BBQ and a bag of food.. you aren't going to dissuade them, they've planned their day and you stand in the way of it - so the best you can do is encourage them. 

Saying something like: "Looks like you guys/girls have planned for a good day out, couldn't hang around for a burger could I?  The nearest bins are probably<here> for when you've finished, a few seem to leave them in the outdoors but it's as bad as letting your dog foul the paths in my eyes.  Anyway, have a good day out'

The police certainly aren't going to do much about it, so the only choice is education and helping with a clear up (I find myself bringing gloves and a bin bag on many of my walks).

Recent photos from Haweswater where we're seeing some of the results of this:

strawy

« Reply #2 on: 21:50:30, 26/06/20 »
I truly dont "get" why people leave their litter,its disgusting and there really is no excuse for it.
I was at Haweswater a couple of weeks ago,the signs are there,no swimming etc,kids in a dinghy shouting "dad someones coming",bbq smoking,adults looked p*ssed,water board employee arrived to warn them,dont know what happened next,i moved on.
Its fine to enjoy the great outdoors,treat it right,100% better than being stuck inside.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:29:46, 27/06/20 »
Hello.... Is there no environmental education in schools nowadays? I am aware that with the coming of the Tories into government in 2010 much of the ability, owing to severe cuts to education budgets, of school pupils to get some outdoor education may have some may well have some bearing on all.this?
I come face to face with similar litter dumping from vehicles when using the A9 cycle trail....Obviously thrown from vehicles... There are no laybys on this recently made stretch for walkers and cyclists.
We are fortunate that both local village folks and estate folks who can access the dualled road on 4x4 quad bikes on the cycle path to clean up the debris.  Must say on the South bound side of the road where there is no cycle path.... Who knows what the state is there.
Since the stay at home period came into lives our the traffic and the litter has noticeably diminished. I guess that the litter will be deposited once the traffic starts to.come North again. The much needed visitors for the health of the Scottish economy.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:04:15, 27/06/20 »
So government spending cuts negates parental influence?

We will be blaming someone else, for the fact that we have become a sloppy, ill disciplined, pleasure seeking people. Yesterday, walking in a local little known wood, my granddaughter commented on a casually discarded beer bottle. Hopefully she will grown into a person, who will take the rubbish home with them.

Should the manufactures of disposable barbecues do test to see how much water is needed to completely extinguish the charcoal in the product at various stages of ignition the write a full risk assessment form to signed and left by their customers when they 'safely' dispose of their product or will this have to be passed into law.

1984 has come to pass, the pigs rule but the are not the government, and these pigs are disgrace to their race, they are not Tamworth, Gloucester Old Spot or even Large Whites, they are just plain Slobs.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Sonatine

« Reply #5 on: 11:53:55, 27/06/20 »
The situation is making things more acute to be sure, but has been going on for years. There's very much a disposable & littering culture these days. I was at the NT campsite in the Langdales last year. A young woman passed me walking up to pavey ark carrying a disposable coffee cup; I found it 5 minutes later stuffed into the crevasse of two rocks. The next morning at the campsite a couple of men in their twenties opposite where we were pitched abandoned their tent, sleeping bags and inflatable mattresses. I reported it at the reception desk and was told it was quite common... What I can't understand in the picture earlier in this thread is that clearly many of the items haven't even been used once, limes, milk, crisp packets. They even abandoned their fishing rod, and possibly a sleeping bag. I just don't get it...

Just to get to the actual thread, I was at a wooded AONB recently which clearly had signage saying no BBQs. Sure enough a group arrived and set up a BBQ immediately. We weren't brave enough to say anything because it seemed to us that things would get tense. However in a rare moment of justice a quad bike arrived with a warden who instructed them to pour water on the BBQ, and waited whilst they did it. Thank you warden, though it was clear he had his work cut out dealing with multiple issues in the area.

GoneWest

« Reply #6 on: 11:57:27, 27/06/20 »
So government spending cuts negates parental influence?

We will be blaming someone else, for the fact that we have become a sloppy, ill disciplined, pleasure seeking people. Yesterday, walking in a local little known wood, my granddaughter commented on a casually discarded beer bottle. Hopefully she will grown into a person, who will take the rubbish home with them.

Should the manufactures of disposable barbecues do test to see how much water is needed to completely extinguish the charcoal in the product at various stages of ignition the write a full risk assessment form to signed and left by their customers when they 'safely' dispose of their product or will this have to be passed into law.

1984 has come to pass, the pigs rule but the are not the government, and these pigs are disgrace to their race, they are not Tamworth, Gloucester Old Spot or even Large Whites, they are just plain Slobs.
"Animal Farm" featured the pigs, but I get the gist and share your feelings about it all.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:38:57, 27/06/20 »
"Animal Farm" featured the pigs, but I get the gist and share your feelings about it all.
;D Of course it was, maybe a freudian slip as I was also thinking about another topic where the time scale fits with the importation of cattle breeds that has altered the safety of RoWs and lifestock protocols.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:18:40, 27/06/20 »
Hello... To use your word slobs.   Barbecue stuff, litter, plastic bottles and tins.  All of it discarded rubbish...but the fire risk from the portable cooking things could be greater. Even in the Highlands we saw the televised mayhem on the beach in Bournemouth. Among all of those sun bathers there must have been hundreds of school aged children.
Without some education on how to behave in the outdoors the slobs will become more numerous.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:01:54, 27/06/20 »
 Banning disposable barbeques would be a good start.Putting a filthy item that is full of congealed fat into a pack is going to be too much of a pain for some people so its tempting for them to leave it behind.If they can't cook fresh meat outdoors it also takes some of the incentive away so they might find something else to do.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #10 on: 16:41:01, 27/06/20 »
It's shocking what happening at the moment in areas of the national park. The worst thing about it is the press say "walkers" when in fact they are feral slobs with no respect. I'm hoping once the pubs are open they stay off the moors and national parks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:15:04, 28/06/20 »
'1984 has come to pass, the pig's rule but they are not the government, and these pigs are a disgrace to their race, they are not Tamworth, Gloucester Old Spot or even Large Whites, they are just plain Slobs.'

Gosh, I read that and in my head, that to me seems to be way over the top and I actually find some of the words to be very objectionable!

I too find litter annoying, where I run it's everywhere, by the side of the road, in bushes and thrown into streams BUT I never forget that in reality and with the will to do it, it's not that difficult to clear up either and for some, it's very easy to over exaggerate the problem.  For example, there used to be a Government-funded scheme where people in jail could go out with a supervisor picking up such stuff. I remember seeing such groups pre the financial crash and they did a great job.

But for me personally, when I compare and contrast the eyesores of really bad buildings, waste industrial sites, and the massive pollution that we the public tolerate across the UK, or are totally helpless to get our Governments to justice to this litter 'problem', crisp packets, beer cans, fast food containers and the like, pales into insignificance! The litter on a beach, in woodland, in a hedge or down a street is essentially is a 'temporary' problem (if an ongoing plan exists to clear it up) but other pollution problems are 'permanent' in our lives.

So HOW come you have decided to bring 1984 come into this, what's your reasoning? Why are you calling people pigs? And what do you mean by 'these pigs are a disgrace to their race? RACE??? And then to use the word 'slobs,' how can you label individuals with such a slur? And even as you call people such names does it in any way whatsoever solve the problem, NO!

Litter has been a problem in the UK, I suspect since the beginning of time, it is definitely not a 'here and now' issue and in my opinion its a minuscule problem when compared with the worldwide pollution culprits, that supply us with the means to litter. To me it is very much a Government problem, it's not a 5-minute issue that will go when Covid-19 goes, it will still happen long after all of us are dead, so in order to try to get to grips with it, the Government needs an intelligent strategy for the here and now and for the future but guess what, there isn't one!

Sorry to get grumpy but litter really annoys me but comments like this annoy me too. I personally would like a Government led long term initiative, its no good blaming individuals, it will never work!

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:08:07, 28/06/20 »
GWM wrote
Sorry to get grumpy but litter really annoys me but comments like this annoy me too. I personally would like a Government led long term initiative, its no good blaming individuals, it will never work!

In this country we have individual freedom of choice and a minority of people abuse it.The alternative is a system such as they have in Singapore where those who step out of line face draconian punishment.That is a government led initiative and it works but I know which country I would sooner live in.The problem with litter is that it only takes a small percentage of people to break the rules to cause a big mess.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:52:08, 28/06/20 »
I'm with you on this, GWM. I have succumbed to calling the litter louts slobs etc, but it doesn't solve the problem. We -do- need the government to take the lead on this, and a cross party approach is essential as it needs to be for the long term.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Toxicbunny

« Reply #14 on: 11:57:02, 28/06/20 »
I live in a village. We are miles away from any McDonald's and I knew when it was open as down the lane it was full of McDonald's cartons thrown out of cars. Its disgusting.  Maybe larger " put it in the bin" print on packaging. I remember ads on the TV about littering too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy