Author Topic: Which walk would you want to do all over again?  (Read 4816 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Which walk would you want to do all over again?
« Reply #30 on: 14:26:48, 08/10/19 »
Back to the opening question - not sure I can answer that - I'm always hungry to explore new ground.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

mow1701

« Reply #31 on: 19:32:36, 08/10/19 »
Another vote for Pennine Way. I’ve done it 3 times. I’m lucky enough to be able to dip in as I live in Rochdale and always feel envious when I meet someone walking the whole thing!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 20:04:31, 08/10/19 »
One walk in the UK that I haven't done for years is the Rhinog Traverse, Starting by hiding a bike in the woods near Barmouth. Then going up to the campsite in Talsarnau for the night (if it's still there). The first day is up the road to Bryn Hwbach farm, from there climb Moel Ysgyfarnogod and over Clip, Craig Wion, Rhinog Fawr and Fach before camping by Llyn Hywel. The second day is essentially one long ridge walk which takes you right down to Barmouth. Pick up the bike for a gentle ride back to Talsarnau to pick up the car.   

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:57:18, 09/10/19 »
Hello,
I haven't walked any of the multi day walking routes in GB. Any multi day walks in Scotland that I have walked were 'made up' with the itinerary set to allow for the higher tops to be visited.
The first multi day walk in Europe, tent rucksack, wee guidebook and all the rest, was in Corsica when we retired.
A rough and ready trail with rough and ready facilities during most of the fifteen days duration. However the mixture of sun, with much interesting terrain and vegetation, staying above 900 metres for the entire journey once 'the getting over the first couple of days from sea level' was got through.
I went back a few years later and walked the length of the GR20 in the opposite direction with a few variations on some of the stages. It was still a magical part of the world.
Definitely a place that I hope to get back to again.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:42:22, 09/10/19 »
I always wanted to hike the GR20, I bought the book but I've never actually made it.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 09:38:56, 23/10/19 »
Pembrokeshire Coast Path O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 10:10:59, 23/10/19 »
I'm sure coastal walks are great for many, many people but not for me. I live near the beach and see the sea most days of my life so the idea of walking for days always seeing the water to one side of me is not my idea of fun. Saying that though, I'm fine walking around the edges of lakes. I walked around Bewl Water, just south of Tunbridge Wells a couple of months ago and really enjoyed the experience.

Yorci

« Reply #37 on: 22:48:23, 25/01/20 »
 I have a few walks that I tend to repeat.
In the lake district Helvellyn over Swirral and Striding Edges, very busy in summer. I have walked it in the winter (when ice axe and crampons are needed), but never seen Red Tarn frozen, which I would like to see.
In the peak district, Mam Tor & Hollins Cross then along Cave dale, and on to Limestone Way, though it can be very busy at weekends.
In North Yorshire it would have to be Malham and Malham Tarn, again this can be very busy. Though I haven't been there for a while.
Locally in the Yorkshire Wolds, Welton Dale & Elloughton Wold a great little woodland walk.

Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 11:44:35, 26/01/20 »
Locally in the Yorkshire Wolds, Welton Dale & Elloughton Wold a great little woodland walk.

I know it well!  It is indeed a lovely area to walk, particularly in spring and early summer  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 11:51:54, 26/01/20 »
Looking through my walk logs - there are certainly some I wouldn't do again and there are now a few I couldn't do again.  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 14:25:17, 26/01/20 »
One I keep dreaming about is to hike the GR10, France again, but this time from the Mediterranean to the Bay of Biscay. I'm sure I never will though.

I've been thinking of hiking the St Cuthberts route from end to end, from Melrose to Holy Island. I enjoyed the section that I did last year from Kirk Yetholme to Melrose, it's on my list to do this year. Not sure yet if I will, or just stick to a 'down South' path?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 14:36:35, 26/01/20 »
One I keep dreaming about is to hike the GR10, France again, but this time from the Mediterranean to the Bay of Biscay. I'm sure I never will though.

I've been thinking of hiking the St Cuthberts route from end to end, from Melrose to Holy Island. I enjoyed the section that I did last year from Kirk Yetholme to Melrose, it's on my list to do this year. Not sure yet if I will, or just stick to a 'down South' path?
Hi GWM link up the Cuthbert walk with the St Oswalds and you can see the best of the county and end fairly close to Hexham transport hub or you could walk into Tyneside on that section of the Hadrians Wall Walk.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Steveandsam

« Reply #42 on: 15:13:54, 27/01/20 »
Pennine way... Again, again, again.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 22:32:09, 27/01/20 »
Alternate Haiku Stairs route, Oahu, Hawaii.   Would loved to have done the 'Stairway to Heaven' (Haiku Stairs) Route but risking a $1000 dollar fine for doing so seemed madness so we went the alternate route to the top instead, still, would love to do it again someday.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Florence Lamb

« Reply #44 on: 08:24:58, 28/01/20 »
Pennine Way....already done x 6.5
Pennine Journey.... already done x 3
Cleveland Way...already done x 3

Backpacked every time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy