Author Topic: I need advice from farmer and police harrasment.  (Read 8035 times)

prow

Re: I need advice from farmer and police harrasment.
« Reply #30 on: 01:30:17, 11/12/19 »
I went to the CAB today and got some advice and the lady was very helpful, She gave me the local MP tel: number and told me to ask the police exactly what the complaint is and to contact West Sussex council and the ramblers website about the footpaths as well as the things others here have been saying.
The police have not been back since last Wednesday.

Today around 3 pm there was a guy dressed in all black taking photos of my house then he walked off, no idea if it is related or not, but I have decided to stop walking that farm, I'm now worried for the safety of my dogs and I'm not going to chance it.

I think that farmer has people in high places and i can not compete with that.

before I go I just want to tell you a few things that the police said to me just so you can see how this has been.
on one of the police visits the officer said regarding the landowner, "he has enough money to get the best solicitors and sort this out if he wants to"

the same officer also said this when I asked why can't the farmer put curtains or blinds up so he can't see anyone walking along the footpath? The officer said "That's like someone stealing your TV and me telling you well you shouldn't have got such a nice TV" I was shocked and said if someone took my tv it would be a burglary, yet I'm on a public footpath breaking no law, How can you even compere them.

I have my action camera and a voice recorder ready if the police return.

Thanks to everyone who replied to me I did read all and the chap that said free masons might be on to something. I will probably never know
I will post again if I can find somewhere to walk and hopefully it will be happy walking :)

Have a Merry Christmas and happy Walking to you all :)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 06:53:16, 11/12/19 »
Thanks for keep us informed.

Deep sympathy on how it’s gone. For what it’s worth I think I would do the same as you (i.e. avoid walking the path) as soon as I became worried about safety of my dogs.

Now you’ve find this site, do think about taking part in other, happier topics here..if you do you’ll find some useful walking tips over time. Don’t let one prat spoil the joy of walking...plenty of other paths and fields.

buryman

« Reply #32 on: 09:04:26, 11/12/19 »
 Such intimidation is totally unacceptable. You should definitely contact the Ramblers with the full story and consider asking for comment from the Police Commissioner.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 09:22:15, 11/12/19 »
I am sorry you have decided no longer to use that path for your evening dog walks but fully understand why. I do hope you will pursue the problem with the Ramblers so that perhaps they can take up the case and at least the landowner may come to realise that he actually does not even own the 'top spit' of the PRoW.

I, and probably others on here, would love to know where this is. I doubt it would help in the long run but we could arrange a night meet.

I also hope that the path is well used in daytime so that there no chance of it falling into disuse and possible closure.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:39:24, 11/12/19 »
Yep a few mass walks would be the way to sort this out.

Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 11:14:06, 11/12/19 »
I, and probably others on here, would love to know where this is. I doubt it would help in the long run but we could arrange a night meet.

Certainly would as I'm in West Sussex.  I also bump into the Chief Constable quite frequently through my SAR work, and will have a word in his ear when we next meet once I've walked the path myself  O0
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 11:25:04, 11/12/19 »

on one of the police visits the officer said regarding the landowner, "he has enough money to get the best solicitors and sort this out if he wants to"
.....or enough money to get the most bent coppers on his side.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 11:38:30, 11/12/19 »
I have a relative in West Sussex (not a big landowner) and am planning a visit in the new year - two birds with one stone?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 11:49:37, 11/12/19 »
Please send us some details of the ROWs in question.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 12:19:47, 11/12/19 »
It is unfortunate that the OP has not provided the location of this problem. Often on this forum, such issues are raised, yet the actual location is not forthcoming.

Yep a few mass walks would be the way to sort this out.
I think that there are too few around that truly recognize this problem and it's inherent cause. Nor have the Ramblers or the other allied pressure groups fully thought out a modern approach to the idea of a mass trespass or standing in the middle of a field waving placards.
Taking into account the following;

Firstly; Landowners are a minority group, albeit wealthy and powerful.
Secondly; They are ideologically split between the landowner with property interests and the farmer, who is the producer of our food.
Thirdly; Both interests are vulnerable, yet no one thinks to identify the services or products that are associated with the separate interests.
Fourthly: the two groups are represented by totally separate Lobby groups, both with very distinct awareness of public relations.
Fifthly; All groups, who derive their leisure from the access network are the customers that keep an enormous wealth creating dynamo turning generating.

Are the tools of the 21st century being used to extend the ideals of those, who thought up and organised the Kinder Mass Trespass, then the objective was very identifiable, today's targets not so obvious.

Prior to Scotland's Land Reform Act there was some very effective protests engineered, these used the internet, then very much in it's infancy. At the time I was only just starting to understand the use of a computer, so only caught onto a hint of what was going on. The actual methods used may have passed their 'sell by date', but I wonder if the examples could serve to fuel new ideas.

On a person level I will not buy products of the Rhyg Estate because of Lord Newborough's example in sharing the countryside, despite the efforts his PR goes to be ""organic and all this tweely conservation"".
Sadly on my own I probably have not made a dent on his largesse, nor do I believe that I have discovered all his land holdings. Only two and both want to make me spit. Just one of many more examples.

Probably rambled on far enough for today..........other things to do ;D

« Last Edit: 12:25:42, 11/12/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 12:41:34, 11/12/19 »
It is unfortunate that the OP has not provided the location of this problem. Often on this forum, such issues are raised, yet the actual location is not forthcoming.
Should we be considering the veracity of this issue if the location is not forthcoming? :-\

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 12:46:18, 11/12/19 »
Should we be considering the veracity of this issue if the location is not forthcoming? :-\
May be he(?) is worried about being too specific in case of repercussions. 

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 13:59:20, 11/12/19 »
May be he(?) is worried about being too specific in case of repercussions.
The OP could always PM one of the forum members, thus keeping his whereabouts and clear concern out of the public gaze.

BWW I didn't mention Tresspass, I stated a mass walk, I should have made clear that it should be on the ROW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 15:36:52, 11/12/19 »
BWW I didn't mention Tresspass, I stated a mass walk, I should have made clear that it should be on the ROW
Some more effective strategies might be along the lines I referred to the pre Scotland's Land Reform Act actions. A lot of references have disappeared off the internet and I was new to things then. Some of these strategies, I believe, effectively bought to public attention the relevance of the Munroes as legitimate features for access and exposed those landowners responsible to public scrutiny.

Now Scotland's tourist revenue has a contribution from walking alone that out earns all field sports by at least a factor of 10.

The Kinder protest needed a mass of people to beat the illegality of trespass. The off shoot group of the Scottish Mountaineers used the internet and communication to mobilize a much smaller groups to get the attention of the politicians to pass the Land Reform Act. Or that is how I interpret some of the info I was able glean, when I first became aware of the corruption of the DM.
In my opinion "Continuity of Way" is the greatest weakness the English footpath network has as a tourism asset. This is aggravated by bad landowners and lostways.

A nightly and continuous use of that path by small groups with headtorches, might be more along the lines of one of the Scottish strategies. Were I to contribute, I might invite a retired Min of Ag. inspector friend along, in the same way Sussamb's post underlines out how the networking of resources can escalate through discussion.

Over the years I have been contributing to forums, it is clear that there are numerous of locations that could be the equivalent to Munroes, they are just bit different, or do I have an over vivid imagination. :crazy2:
« Last Edit: 15:40:07, 11/12/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 15:40:03, 11/12/19 »
I went to the CAB today and got some advice and the lady was very helpful, She gave me the local MP tel: number and told me to ask the police exactly what the complaint is and to contact West Sussex council and the ramblers website about the footpaths as well as the things others here have been saying.
Contacting the Ramblers and local Council is a good idea to if only to confirm that the path(s) you are walking are absolutely, definitely 100% official Public Rights of Way (as marked in green on an Ordnance Survey map) and not local trods which may or may not be marked as a grey dashed line.  The former – you have every right to walk.  The latter – the landowner (as much as it irks me to say this) has every right to ask you not to walk them. 

True, but the OP is also a “newbie” on the forum and may be unable to post images (It’s not the easiest thing to do even as a fully-fledged member!), not to mention that he/she said the field is directly opposite his/her house which would basically tell everyone on the internet where he/she lives.  I can understand the hesitation for exact specifics in that regard.

Regardless of the above, the landowner’s behaviour does have a bit of a racketeering whiff about it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy