Author Topic: Last time you walked in blue sky/glorious sunshine conditions  (Read 2105 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Weather forecasts have been very miserable in recent weeks in the Mournes in Northern Ireland, tomorrow being another wet day. When I think of it, the last perfect day I had was in September 19 in the Lake district when I walked in the western fells. Does anyone else share this experience? When was the last time you walked in perfect conditions? Thanks, Henry

veracocha

I am yet to experience a day of sunshine in the lakes since becoming interested in hiking/camping. I have been three times in the last three months and whilst attempting to get to a fell top destination I have failed on every occasion, beaten by the weather. I really want to experience a sunrise atop an English mountain. I have three days next week and two of them look promising so I'm giving it another go. I think I'm owed it having spent around well over a grand in equipment and yet to get anywhere other than a camp-site. I have never let the weather bother me in any pastime before but this game is really testing me. Clear skies as they say in astronomy.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Only 3 times veracocha, you've about 27 more to go before you get a day that is merely appalling.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
New Year's Eve was outstanding however it's been quite poor before and after.  Cold snap on the way it seems so we'll have to see if we can get some proper snow and blue skies!

henryb

• Veteran Member
I live in Northern Ireland and had a desire to get a blue sky day on Great Gable; I had to go 5 times to the Lakes before I got a clear day for Great Gable. The old man of COniston - got my clear day on the 4th occasion I visited Coniston; Slieve Donard on my door step - 5 times I had to go before getting views.

veracocha

Only 3 times veracocha, you've about 27 more to go before you get a day that is merely appalling.
I'm feeling good about this one, I'll report back if my luck's in.

GnP

• Veteran Member
I did a 10 mile walk to day starting & finishing at Chaddesley Corbett. The forecast was cold but sunny. For half of the time I was walking though, it was dull cloudy conditions. The last two hours it was bright sunshine, yet I found I wasn`t enjoying it as much as I usually do because the ground is still soddened with water.
It was a hard slog all the way round.

When it is so slippy and boggy you end up looking down at the ground picking your way through the mud. most of the time for fear of slipping over.I am counting the days until it is dry and sunny once more....when ever that is
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
On dreary dark winter days it seems a world away from when I was walking in the countryside on glorious long sunny days of summer. But the evenings have started to get lighter, and vegetation is emerging with the promise of spring flowers to come, so we're on the upward path.  But I think it always seems a long haul getting through winter.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
That would be on Dartmoor this afternoon with Mrs G. A lovely little walk around Cox Roos & Staple tors in splendid sun shine and just a pleasant breath of wind. We enjoyed a cuppa on higher Staple tor, before heading back around the far side of Cox tor once more and to top it all off a glorious full mood rising, as we drove home with the roof down.  O0

staggerindragon

Just before Christmas above Kettlewell. Dazzling snow and a sky so blue that it must surely explain the Yorkshire flag.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Last time was the short very cold snap in the Lake District eastern fells around Dovedale, 29-30 November. Since then there has been the odd day of clear sunshine but not long enough to travel to the mountains for a backpack.
I really want to experience a sunrise atop an English mountain.
A marvellous experience from a high level pitch, like that Dovedale one above, you'll get it eventually  :)

It's often said that we remember the past through rose tinted glasses but, regarding hillwalking weather, I think it really is true: good conditions were more frequent as indicated by our walking records going back over 25 years. We always had a good distribution of clear periods with blue skies throughout the year, but in recent years it tends to be grey and mediocre almost all the time, even when dry. The Met Office stats showing rainfall, sun etc. don't give a representative picture for hillwalking, they don't correlate very well with "good walking days".

Jac

• Veteran Member
That would be on Dartmoor this afternoon with Mrs G. A lovely little walk.....................................................  and to top it all off a glorious full mood rising, as we drove home ...............................................  O0

Nothing like finishing a day on a high (LOL)

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
A gloriously sunny day walking over the Humber Bridge on Christmas Day. Had several sunny days in North Lincolnshire since then. I look out the window, if it's sunny I go out, if not I stay in, and do my three mile walk around the village in the evening.

ilona

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
30th December - walked on White Edge to Longshaw & then along Froggatt & Curbar Edges. Sunny all day, took some lovely photos & timed it to watch the sunset from Curbar Edge at the end of my walk.
Fab! 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Lee R

I put a photo of Glastonbury Tor up on Flickr the other day. My description was.....

"What started off as a wet sunrise in Stockhill, led to an overcast Wells & a sunny afternoon at Glastonbury!!"

It was actually the first ''sunny weather'' photo I'd uploaded since mid-November.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy