Author Topic: Transport to Melrose from Lindisfarne  (Read 1589 times)

AFANASIEW

Transport to Melrose from Lindisfarne
« on: 08:13:53, 10/02/20 »
Simple question: how do you get back to your car after walking St Cuthbert's Way? I guess that boils down to transport from Holy Island to Berwick.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Transport to Melrose from Lindisfarne
« Reply #1 on: 08:18:58, 10/02/20 »
Yep, infrequent bus to Berwick, then bus hourly to Melrose.
Edited to add:
Have you thought of leaving the car in Berwick and starting with the bus to Melrose, it might make the return a wee bit easier?
Too little, too late, too bad......

AFANASIEW

« Reply #2 on: 08:43:17, 10/02/20 »
Yep, infrequent bus to Berwick, then bus hourly to Melrose.
Edited to add:
Have you thought of leaving the car in Berwick and starting with the bus to Melrose, it might make the return a wee bit easier?
Aye, that's a good thought. Thanks for the tip!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:25:13, 10/02/20 »
Hitchhike and have a different sort of fun day.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:48:02, 10/02/20 »
Lindisfarne is the pinch point, get your timings wrong and you could be well and truly inconvenienced.
The following is a useful resource. https://holyislandcrossingtimes.northumberland.gov.uk/
Too little, too late, too bad......

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:31:07, 10/02/20 »
We’ve learnt on our LDWs to think a little differently about where to park / how to get to/from start and end. Last years Two Moors Way, rather than park at Wembury or Lynmouth and face a 2 train and 2 bus ride of about 5 hours at the start or end, we booked a Just Park space in Exeter where we had to change trains, thus enabling us to split the journey and get to/from Suffolk in a day. It might be worth looking at towns in between or just off route?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:49:01, 10/02/20 »
  Now now GWM.  Since you have eschewed car ownership you cannot morally piggy back on those that haven't  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:15:58, 10/02/20 »
I have hitchhiked since the 60s and have no plans to stop now. I'm helped of course by the fact that I now have a bus pass but if I'm ever in the wrong place at the end of the day and want to be somewhere else (like a pub) and there are no buses or trains my thumb goes up straight away.

There was a time in the late 60s when a friend and I hitchhiked for nearly three months around Europe and met all kinds of interesting people. If I go to the March meet I am thinking about hitching there and back, I've done it before. The only problem with long-distance hitching is that getting from 'A' to 'B' can be very unpredictable in terms of the time it may take. My longest ever one car hitch was from a set of traffic lights in Barcelona to where I lived in Maidstone.

My longest pick up when I was driving was from the Altea motorway slip road in Spain to Paris. My passenger was a Morrocan man looking for a new life in France.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #8 on: 16:38:20, 11/02/20 »
We’ve learnt on our LDWs to think a little differently about where to park / how to get to/from start and end. Last years Two Moors Way, rather than park at Wembury or Lynmouth and face a 2 train and 2 bus ride of about 5 hours at the start or end, we booked a Just Park space in Exeter where we had to change trains, thus enabling us to split the journey and get to/from Suffolk in a day. It might be worth looking at towns in between or just off route?
In this instance I think Berwick should fit the bill nicely, avoiding two-stage journeys.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #9 on: 16:40:19, 11/02/20 »
Hitchhiked a lot in pupil and student days, and even on my first honeymoon! Easier as a loner than as a couple, though.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:43:16, 11/02/20 »
Yes, very true, it can slow you down.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy