Author Topic: Advice on gear for someone losing weight, winter is coming  (Read 1353 times)

paule

Hi all,

So i've been on a bit of a drive to lose weight for the last 10 or so weeks so minding my calories. Down about 13kg, with this whole covid thing need to lose 30 ish more.

I've also been trying to improve my fitness with walking the dog, since start of august i'm probably averaging about 150 miles a month. 2 short walks (1 mile each) first thing and last thing (0630 and 2300) just up the hill by my house. 1-2 longer walks (2-4 miles each) depending on other commitments.

For august i was just wearing normal tshirts, tshirt getting soaked because im not very fit but all good it was warm, fitness is improving massively but i would like to be able to push myself a bit.

I bought a few things from sportsdirect with cooler weather in mind, bought a cheap karrimor tshirt (marvelous, can wear it a few times a day and it just dries), light quick dry trousers, i always have reasonable outdoor shoes for camping anyway, bought a thick fleece full zip top. I bought the size lower than i was 2 month ago and they are already fitting loose now. So i dont really want to be spending a lot as it will (hopefully) end up in charity shops in a few months anyway. I also just got a light regatta 1/2 zip fleece that doesnt fit me yet.

I already have a reasonable trespass rain jacket that i keep clean and proofed, im not planning to replace soon, and cheap rainproof over trousers that do the job, although they are elastic waist is starting to fall off me, beanies and a cap, tick, i got give a buff thing a few years ago as a present that never got used.

I guess im asking for advice on stuff. I'm happy to spend a few quid to make my life more comfortable over the next few months, i need to spend 2 hours outdoors a day, i will know accurately what the weather is like, but dont want to spend a lot on anything that wont last.

Thanks

sussamb

• Veteran Member
You don't say where you're walking but seems to me you can manage with what you've got for the sort of walking you're doing  O0

In due course just replace anything that no longer fits with similar quality kit.
Where there's a will ...

zuludog

Hello Paule, and congratulations on losing the weight! There is no reason why you should not continue to get out & about during winter
Here are a few comments -

I am on LIDL's email list for forthcoming offers
I notice that from today, 15/10/20, they will be selling lined/insulated work trousers for £11-99
I've only seen pictures so far, but I think they could make reasonable winter walking trousers
I've had a few things from LIDL and they have been reasonable enough.

You could wear long johns under your existing trousers
They don't need to be the expensive makes from outdoor shops, have a look at department stores and your local market
Anything labelled 'thermal' will be OK

Have a browse round charity shops
You can usually find a fleece top or a fine wool sweater (remember wool?) to be worn in combination with your existing stuff as required

In fact one of my favourite items for winter walking is a sleeveless wool jersey that gives just the required extra insulation under my fleece & waterproof jackets, without adding much bulk

For your saggy overtrousers, if you're careful you can fit a drawcord into the hem at the top of the waist
Or just make a few holes and thread the cord through, like lacing
could try reproofing it. It won't be as good as factory proofing, but it will help
Fabsil would be my choice, but there are others

If you haven't done much winter walking before you can be unpleasantly surprised at how cold your hands can get, so think about some decent gloves or mitts

Similarly, obviously the ground is likely to be cold & wet, so think about some better shoes, or boots, and socks

Think about a body warmer. Synthetic insulation or fleece is less susceptible to water than down, and usually cheaper

Most outdoor shops will have a winter sale in the New Year

Remember the doggy!
Think about a doggy coat and and a towel for wiping down 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My suggestion is to have a look through the Decathlon store online page and if a store is near you pay them a visit and have a good look around. I was out for a run this morning wearing my Decathlon £3.99 wrap around glasses (ideal for cycling as well) my loose running trousers at £12.99, my Thinsulate gloves £2.99 and my off-road running shoes at £36 when I bought them. I also own three pairs of their hiking trousers which cost me £7.99 each when I bought them, (very hard wearing and a breeze to wash and dry) much better than my £70 Marmot hiking trousers. I also own one of the warm pairs of trousers which I wear around the house mostly but I have worn them under my hiking trousers as well. They cost me £12.99.

If for nothing else such a store is good for 'studying' gear and is a nice way of idling a couple hours away.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Decathlon do some good stuff - a mate of mine uses their grid fleece and it's 95% the same as my 'Polartec' one which cost me a good £70.  Also their 'mountaineering' brand Simond do quite cost effective belay jackets etc.  Worth checking out.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Hi Pauli

Your kit list sounds pretty reasonable.  I buy similar gear myself from sports direct and have Karimoor base layers and Regatta fleeces much as you do, much better than cotton tee shirts   If you think your going to be out in stormy weather for any length of time, then a synthetic fleece/body warmer works better than a none synthetic, once it gets wet, so bare that in mind.

Something on these lines that you can throw on quickly. Under or over your waterproof jacket.

https://www.google.com/search?q=regatta+synthetic+body+warmer&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiRvp_-z7bsAhVY44UKHZciDEgQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=regatta+synthetic+body+warmer&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1CwnAZYrtYGYL3aBmgAcAB4AIABWIgB5QiSAQIxN5gBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=A0SIX9GwBNjGlwSXxbDABA&bih=937&biw=1920#imgrc=6oRh-uKFt3bfjM

Once your happy where your weight is. If you plan to keep walking, then investing in a hard shell Goretex type jacket, would be a good idea, but those can be expensive, so probably not worth the investment right now.

Also in changing conditions a hat, a buff and a pair of gloves mean you can adjust your temperature more than you might think, without putting on another layer.

Enjoy your walking and getting fitter, try not to over do things. 150miles a month is a lot.  Oh and keep us posted on your progress. O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Another reason to visit Decathlon? Most of the staff in my store are French and a couple of Spanish, a great opportunity to practice your foreign language skills if like me you like to hike in Europe. I talked to a young lady from Montpelier this morning, her English was better than mine!

paule

Thanks for all the responses, interesting stuff in there, i should of said i'm in southern ireland so similar to southern england climate really, bit wetter maybe.

Walking on paths at the moment, some muddy, cycle tracks, parks. No plans to go off them in the near future, although some nice walks by the coast when i can manage big hills.

For now im trying to really avoid shops, i'll go into try boots if i get some but im just shopping online/click and collect. In normal times i'd be the opposite.

I might get a price off a local seamstress for adding a draw string, they have an elasticated waist already so maybe a couple of euro. For now i will have a fair idea if its going to chuck it down in the next hour or 2 so if i can get through the winter with these over trousers i'll be happy.

Must look into gloves, i've seen thinsulate gloves before, they were impressive for such a thin material.

Will get a body warmer, they look useful. Plus its the sort of thing if you are throwing it on over it can be a bit baggier anyways. The fleece coat i got for a similar reason, it wont fit under my rain jacket, i imagine it will soon be staying in the car wrapped around a hot water bottle ready for my drive home. I, like most others work on incentives, i have to make this as comfortable as possible.

Im sure i bought a lovely backback in decathlon in sheffield, was the nicest bag i ever owned, lasted years. I've been reading this website for a few weeks before posting and spending hours looking on all the outdoor shops for ideas, end up looking at the clock and hours have past!

I'll actually did buy thermals, campri ones, a few quid, forgot to say, i wore them once when i got them and it was probably 10-12C, was absolutely roasting.

A new hard shell would be nice, maybe for next winter, i've owned a few gortex jackets over the years as my go to walk to work jacket, stay dry and they dry nice and quick, hang it up, dry by break time, used to have a pair of rohan trousers that could just watch the water fall off.

After reading this forum i've already got a shopping list for next summer, love the idea of a light jacket, like a rab jacket that will stuff down small.

The dog always gets plenty of blankets in the boot of the car, he loves getting wrapped in one at the end, i've had a jacket for him previously, although he never got used to it. He is a collie cross with a husky, just turned up one day, i think he handles the cold well, he comes in as far as the kitchen, but not really a house dog, he seems happiest as a yard dog.

Anyways cheers for the suggestions.

zuludog

Glad the suggestions were useful

I'm stating the obvious here, but you can reproof your jacket as well as your overtrousers!

For a light jacket, have a look at online sales in the New Year; there will be a good selection, especially if you're not too fussy about the colour or the make, as long as it's something decent

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
If your dog is part husky, he probably thinks the house is too hot and would prefer a layer of snow to lie on.

paule

He's probably only a tiny bit husky, he has the eyes, but they are brown, not blue. Starts whining anytime he sees a proper husky in the park, wants to run with the pack.

Someone suggested getting some braces to keep up loose trousers over the next few months. Advantage being they would work on different trousers.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Someone suggested getting some braces to keep up loose trousers over the next few months. Advantage being they would work on different trousers.

I wear braces with my walking trousers, as I cannot carry a rucksack I put what's required in pockets. Braces  are brilliant for me.

Sevenup

Worth keeping an eye on the Regatta and Craghoppers website. Regatta regularly sells off kit cheaply. I’m not always a fan but some of their stuff can be good if you don’t want to spend too much because you’re likely to shrink out of them. Craghoppers kit is improving all the time and they also sell stuff off from time to time.
Mac in a sac site sells inexpensive down style jackets in bright colours that are very good. They also sell some stuff off cheaply when they bring in new models.

tillster

First question for me is "how much do you sweat?"

If you're like John Prescott at a stripjoint (like myself) then you'll need something that bets the sweaybawayb from your skin ASAP.

Thin merino base layer will help, but (not that I've tried LOADS of kit) in my personal experience a Rab Vapour Rise is tippity top at getting the posture away from the body. Thin merino beneath should turn cold from whatever sweat is left behind.

In the case that you're not terribly sweaty then this was rather pointless, but anyway: HTH
« Last Edit: 07:28:37, 19/10/20 by tillster »

paule

Thanks for the responses.

Got a pair of braces ordered and a regatta body warmer.

I'm not sweating like I was. 300m on the flat and I was out of breath a few months back. Can walk uphill for 30 minutes and not pushing it now.

I've seen rab jackets on this forum. Love one, but that's something I want to fit properly. Maybe next year.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy