Author Topic: BARGAIN THREAD  (Read 256691 times)

chip

Re: BARGAIN THREAD
« Reply #375 on: 11:22:11, 28/09/17 »
^^^^^ seems the seller can't make make there mind up.
Was £45 + £2.90 when I clicked the link last night, now £40 + £5 postage.

Still worth while though.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #376 on: 09:26:40, 29/09/17 »
FTAO Anyone in the Newcastle area, LD Mountain Centre have a 50% off everything sale this weekend, yup, a massive 50% off everything Instore only.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

chip

« Reply #377 on: 16:27:44, 29/09/17 »
Kinkyboots I am interested to why you have recommended the altberg defenders as good dog walking boots as opposed to a good walking boot, I think more than once now.
 For the £55 I paid for a new boxed pair you could do a lot worse for the money.

Is it the lack of a waterproof lining or is there more to it.

I haven't bought them as walking boots as already have good walking boots, i bought them to wear day to day as I just like boots.

« Last Edit: 16:35:45, 29/09/17 by chip »

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #378 on: 16:48:58, 29/09/17 »
Some good looking deals coming up in Aldi this Thursday (28th September) on outdoor gear sold as cycling gear.
Marino wool (blend) bottoms and tops base layers long and short sleeved, gloves, neck warmers, arm warmers, waterproof trousers, and windproof jackets etc.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2017-09-28?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ACycling&page=0

Just got the short sleeve top, 100% merino wool. Nice long back. Beware the ladies sizes are only 10 (34"/86cm) and 12 (35"/87.5cm). Strangely enough the long sleeve version are only in sizes 12 and 14.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #379 on: 17:12:59, 29/09/17 »
@ chip

Dog walking for most people is a 7 days a week activity - sometimes twice a day. The Altberg Defender is a military boot used in a similar way usually on lower level terrain 7 days a week and they have a Cambrelle lining so they are quick drying should the boots get soaked through so they're usually ready to wear the next day. Although the  Altberg Defender is a high leg boot above ankle height it uses much softer leather offering less ankle support on rough terrain when compared to most decent hillwalking or hiking boots.

The industry have managed to convince us walkers that the requirement to have a Sympatex, Gore-Tex or similar waterproof lining is preferable if not essential. For most people there's nothing worse than wet feet and if they can be avoided at all it's a major bonus. With most hillwalking or hiking boots there's usually also plenty of time between uses to dry them out if it's ever needed, in fact it's now very difficult to buy any hillwalking or hiking boots that don't have a waterproof liner of some description built into them.

If you think about it the current trend towards lighter fabric construction boots wouldn't exist at all if it weren't for the waterproof liner that's in them.

chip

« Reply #380 on: 17:28:28, 29/09/17 »
Thanks, that all make sense.
I have a cheap pair of merrell ridgpass gtx walking boots for dog walking.
I say cheap, they were actually £5 more than the defenders but half the price of my walking boots.

But the merrells are not a patch on the defenders, it would be interesting to see how well the defenders stayed dry because on lowland walking atleast if they stayed dry in all but the worst conditions I would choose them over the merrell anyday.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #381 on: 12:37:53, 30/09/17 »
Some good looking deals coming up in Aldi this Thursday (28th September) on outdoor gear sold as cycling gear.
Marino wool (blend) bottoms and tops base layers long and short sleeved, gloves, neck warmers, arm warmers, waterproof trousers, and windproof jackets etc.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2017-09-28?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ACycling&page=0
Just bought a couple of pairs of the merino blend socks. Comfy and warm and used as normal as the cooler weather moves in  O0

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #382 on: 14:30:23, 04/10/17 »
Marmot PreCip Men's Jacket Size XL (Chest 45"-47") in True Blue £37.98 with free delivery. Only 5 left in stock.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmot-Mens-Pre-Cip-Jacket/dp/B011PM7Y6E?th=1&psc=1

Marmot Size Chart https://www.marmot.com/product-info/sizing.html

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #383 on: 14:42:54, 04/10/17 »
Marmot Precip - £37 if you are XL but £73 if you are M like me.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #384 on: 14:47:19, 04/10/17 »
Marmot Precip - £37 if you are XL but £73 if you are M like me.

You need to go on the pies, chips & beer only diet!  ;D

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #385 on: 16:46:37, 04/10/17 »
You need to go on the pies, chips & beer only diet!  ;D

Joking aside...why do walking clothing companies continually over-estimate about of Xl/XXL stuff they can sell?

Those sizes nearly always feature more heavily in sales than medium and small sizes. Call me logical...but there's surely a case for manufacturing stuff in smaller numbers in sizes that sell poorly?

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #386 on: 18:07:10, 04/10/17 »

Joking aside...why do walking clothing companies continually over-estimate about of Xl/XXL stuff they can sell?

Those sizes nearly always feature more heavily in sales than medium and small sizes. Call me logical...but there's surely a case for manufacturing stuff in smaller numbers in sizes that sell poorly?
I am all in favour of them making too many XL clothes and larger size boots so please don't tell them! :D

hiho

« Reply #387 on: 19:52:56, 04/10/17 »
me too. i got a green one the other month  O0

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #388 on: 07:35:58, 06/10/17 »
Marmot PreCip Women's Jacket Size Large (12-14) in Platinum £36.38 with free delivery. Only 1 left in stock - more on way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Womens-46200104-Marmot-PreCip-Jacket/dp/B00DNNPDT4/?th=1&psc=1

Marmot size chart https://www.marmot.com/product-info/sizing.html#tablist-panel1

EDIT: Price reduced even further
« Last Edit: 08:54:31, 06/10/17 by kinkyboots »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #389 on: 11:46:22, 06/10/17 »
How many XL and above actually go walking?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy