Author Topic: I really need to move!  (Read 2672 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: I really need to move!
« Reply #15 on: 13:07:30, 20/11/20 »
The 'hill' behind my house is a whole 85m.  I do start from sea level though.  I try to go up it most days and hope it keeps me a bit fit - an illusion which is shattered whenever I get to a proper hill, which hasn't happened very often this year.  I have a feeling that if ever things get back to normal I will be puffing like a grampus and worrying about the state of my heart rate the first long walk I get.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:29:58, 20/11/20 »
................ if ever things get back to normal I will be puffing like a grampus ..............
What is a grampus ? surprised to find it's a Rissos's dolphin. Who'd have known
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:08:06, 20/11/20 »
I think it's a phrase from my youth, don't know where it comes from. Odd, as the only time I have seen a Risso's  dolphin up close it didn't puff all, it just swam quietly round the bay for a few hours till it remembered where the open sea was.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:23:21, 20/11/20 »
The new incline trainer / treadmill arrived this week and this morning I did my first proper workout. I began with a summit of Mount Maunganui in New Zealand (mostly run, some walk), followed by the second and third stages of the ascent of Mount Baldy in California (mostly walk, some run) plus the descent (mostly run, some walk). 2650ft / 8 miles / 2hr 20m - all without leaving home.  :)
Spookily I have been up both of those in my time on this fine planet.  Mt Baldy is a heck of a lot harder and covered in snow at the top, with rattle snakes on the approach ridges, as I recall. Took the cable car most of the way, after my first I'll prepared walk from our motel on Mountain drive was aborted, at around 4300ft O0

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:27:59, 20/11/20 »
Spookily I have been up both of those in my time on this fine planet.  Mt Baldy is a heck of a lot harder and covered in snow at the top, with rattle snakes on the approach ridges, as I recall. Took the cable car most of the way, after my first I'll prepared walk from our motel on Mountain drive was aborted, at around 4300ft O0
Quite a coincidence! My virtual climb up Mount Baldy began at a cable car station and I did 2417ft to the summit (I did the first leg of four as a test the other day when I set up the treadmill). I was accompanied by a virtual trainer named Sally McRae and we passed a couple of snakes along the path - but not rattlesnakes. This was the third time I've done this programme (I love it!), but the previous treadmill was limited to a 12% incline and made the walk easy, whereas the new one goes to 40%, which is very different! I've seen photos of Mt Baldy in the snow and it looks amazing.  O0
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:15:15, 20/11/20 »
WD, I would be interested in how you get on with your new treadmill. Days get very short up here in the winter and the weather can be bad. It can therefore be difficult to get out, particularly when working. I am trying to get fit again after old injuries flared up and this seems a flexible way to get there. At the moment your particular model appears to be out of stock.

PS sorry for continuing the thread drift.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:48:54, 20/11/20 »
WD, I would be interested in how you get on with your new treadmill. Days get very short up here in the winter and the weather can be bad. It can therefore be difficult to get out, particularly when working. I am trying to get fit again after old injuries flared up and this seems a flexible way to get there. At the moment your particular model appears to be out of stock.

PS sorry for continuing the thread drift.
I'll happily post a report soon - in a separate thread of course! Initial impressions are that the NordicTrack X32i is absolutely fantastic!

Almost all of NordicTrack's treadmills were shown as out of stock for some months immediately the first lockdown commenced. Then, in September (I think it was), they said the X32i would be available before the end of the year. Shortly after, they said they were taking advance orders so we went for it. Soon after that, it was shown as out of stock again. I guess the best thing to do is to check the website regularly, or phone them...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:21:52, 20/11/20 »
I'm ruing the day I sold my glorified clothes-horse (treadmill) although it was never much good for tracking my height gain on ViewRanger  :D

Please do continue with the thread hijack/drift...my OP was mindless, bored witterings of little/no importance anyway  ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:15:40, 20/11/20 »
Mel, there comes a time in life when you'd rather walk around summits than over them  :(

It's usually accompanied by cutting corners off your circuits  :)

Yep. We are at this stage, Bit of rain. Bit of wind. Cut the walk short. Any excuse lol.
Hate will never win

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:07:55, 22/11/20 »
Keeping it on topic, I sympathise with you Mel. Our local walks in Suffolk are more or less flat, although maybe not always quite as flat as yours going by your OP. Todays walk at just over 4 miles included 130 ft of ascent. As most years we try and do a long distance walk, we almost need a holiday to train for the holiday! Roads provide slightly better hills than paths here and I have been known to don a rucksack and walk several times up and down a short hill at the edge of the village. Goodness what I’ll be like next year when (hopefully) faced with bigger hills. The Chilterns and the Malverns were the best we got to this year. My knees will turn round and go back  ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:29:26, 22/11/20 »
 ;D  The steepest ascent I can walk to from home is the flyover, although I did walk up and down the side of the flood embankment a couple of times on today's walk. 

I know what you mean about needing a holiday to train.  It takes me about 3 days to get my "hill legs" and it takes about 2 weeks to lose them again  :-[

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:24:40, 23/11/20 »
No avoiding a hill in Grange over Sands! Keeps the dog fit, as well as me.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:18:02, 29/11/20 »
My walk of 4 miles today included 350 feet of ascent. The walk was in the hilliest part of Essex will lots of undulations on the route. I am surprised it was so much ascent. I have done the walk several times and the ascent is the same.

However, it may not be accurate as I have just had a look at a recent 2 mile walk along a sea wall  alongside an esturary and the ascent was 57 feet which is impossible.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:07:18, 29/11/20 »
My walk of 4 miles today included 350 feet of ascent. The walk was in the hilliest part of Essex will lots of undulations on the route. I am surprised it was so much ascent. I have done the walk several times and the ascent is the same.

However, it may not be accurate as I have just had a look at a recent 2 mile walk along a sea wall  alongside an esturary and the ascent was 57 feet which is impossible.
Yesterday I gained 162 metres in a walk of 1.6 miles according to my Garmin watch. The trouble was that it was a circular walk. I must have fallen asleep on the walk and missed the earthquake that moved my house to more than 1,000 feet above sea level.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:57:22, 29/11/20 »
Yesterday I gained 162 metres in a walk of 1.6 miles according to my Garmin watch. The trouble was that it was a circular walk. I must have fallen asleep on the walk and missed the earthquake that moved my house to more than 1,000 feet above sea level.

Counting the contour lines still works well for walks in less mountainous areas. More difficult on very steep terrain.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy