Author Topic: A Walk To My Nearest Trigpoint  (Read 544 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
A Walk To My Nearest Trigpoint
« on: 14:26:40, 31/01/21 »
I'm a bit suspicious of this one though:

Walking The Peak: Walking To My Nearest Trigpoint
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Re: A Walk To My Nearest Trigpoint
« Reply #1 on: 15:01:04, 31/01/21 »
Hello....You say that you are suspicious about this one....the position?  Did you locate it from the OS Map?
Perhaps it has been moved from the original position.
Usually these pillars are to be found in elevated spots to enable the surveyors, in past times, to 'build up' the early maps.
My own experience with these in the Scottish hills is that they a fading feature and are not now kept in good condition as they are now no longer needed.  Many of these, as I have found, are disappearing from the high tops and I have found bits and pieces of these around on or near to the summits.
I wonder if some folks now take them away as souvenirs of the past to have around in the garden. :D Although definitely not exactly easy bits of furniture to transport. ;D

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:13:30, 31/01/21 »
That trigpoint (Hampole Wood) has indeed been moved, see reference on TrigpointingUK, it  was marked as destroyed in 1994. It's original site was near the wood 1.18km NW of that point.
Those benches with locomotive supports are in slightly better condition than the forlorn trig but still not inviting!.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:15:57, 31/01/21 »
That trigpoint (Hampole Wood) has indeed been moved, see reference on TrigpointingUK, it  was marked as destroyed in 1994. It's original site was near the wood 1.18km NW of that point.
Those benches with locomotive supports are in slightly better condition than the forlorn trig but still not inviting!.

Thanks for the info.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:44:53, 31/01/21 »
Nice write up Lee.  Your local walks seem much more diverse than mine  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy