Author Topic: Jacket: insulated or down  (Read 2500 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Jacket: insulated or down
« Reply #30 on: 18:31:13, 02/01/21 »

Sadly, a common theme with me and jackets, it because I run a bit hot and tightness under the arms just exacerbates this. Also of the reviewers on Rock n Run site, said Incredilite is just too fitted. Cumulus have a Incredilite in Black, (I am sure the next size up will solve the issue), but it's £179 :( , but they do give a 5 year warranty.

Me too. I'm quite big in the shoulders and chest so get that a lot.

Have you checked out: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-down-insulation-c52/down-jackets-c204
Have some things in the sales that look OK

nesty

« Reply #31 on: 22:16:20, 02/01/21 »

Me too. I'm quite big in the shoulders and chest so get that a lot.

Have you checked out: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-down-insulation-c52/down-jackets-c204
Have some things in the sales that look OK

Thanks for this, there is some nice jackets there. I am in 2 minds to go a size up with Cumulus, but I like a bargain, but £180 does place the jacket into a competitive zone!

Ronin83

« Reply #32 on: 09:12:06, 03/01/21 »
I agree with too many modern jackets being tight under the arms. It's another "improvement" or innovation which no-one actually asked for. It's just makes you sweat more.
Though I have wide shoulders, I'm not even a big guy at all.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 09:40:35, 03/01/21 »
There is a problem now with the 'fashion cuts' of jackets; the tightness under to arms is one, the other is how short they are. It's almost become the bolero cut!
I suspect much outdoor kit has been influenced by High Street fashion with folk looking for that healthy outdoor look (!?). Jackets are required to show a snug near tight athletic fit . It also saves money if it's manufactured with less material, and saves grams for the ultra light types.
Not very practicable for people who actually go up a hill; climbers need jackets with a looser fit to avoid arm lift and to throw over at belays; walkers often prefer a longer fit so they don't get a wet rear end.
Oh, and perhaps a pocket big enough for an OS map and not just a mobile phone?

nesty

« Reply #34 on: 11:18:52, 03/01/21 »
I agree with too many modern jackets being tight under the arms. It's another "improvement" or innovation which no-one actually asked for. It's just makes you sweat more.
Though I have wide shoulders, I'm not even a big guy at all.

Nice replies guys about the cut of jackets today, I thought it was me being fussy! There is certainly a shift in the cut of items now. I am not digressing, but it's not just jackets, but also trousers. I had some work trousers provided last year comfort fit, very comfortable, then they changed the style to slim fit, naturally I couldn't hardly sit down in them, as extremely tight around the thighs.

I find now in most jackets, if they pass my underarm slack test the jacket is ok. I have a Keela Munro, ok it's a heavier jacket, but comfort fit. However, in a group test, the reviews on it was outdated design, I am thinking 'outdated' for whom? The amount of stuff (I can't try on beforehand) I have to send back is fairly high ratio.

I've decided to end the interest in the Incredilite, mainly as Cumulus solely based in Poland for mail order (no UK outlet), so I'm wary returning (if required) internationally.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:42:00, 03/01/21 »
There is a problem now with the 'fashion cuts' of jackets; the tightness under to arms is one, the other is how short they are. It's almost become the bolero cut!
I suspect much outdoor kit has been influenced by High Street fashion with folk looking for that healthy outdoor look (!?). Jackets are required to show a snug near tight athletic fit . It also saves money if it's manufactured with less material, and saves grams for the ultra light types.
Not very practicable for people who actually go up a hill; climbers need jackets with a looser fit to avoid arm lift and to throw over at belays; walkers often prefer a longer fit so they don't get a wet rear end.
Oh, and perhaps a pocket big enough for an OS map and not just a mobile phone?
I completely agree about the cut of modern jackets. I have struggled to find a suitable replacement for my old Berghaus Mera Peak II, which was long, had plenty of room and had 4 huge pockets that could swallow massive amounts and an internal map pocket. This could often mean I didn’t need a rucksack for shorter walks. There seem to be no suitable jackets for those of a larger than average build or who don’t want to be wearing a corset when out walking. There are also none with the pocket capacity I would like.

nesty

« Reply #36 on: 12:49:58, 03/01/21 »
Berghaus Mera Peak II sounds similar to my Keela Munro, well certainly on the pocket front!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 13:40:05, 03/01/21 »
I completely agree about the cut of modern jackets. I have struggled to find a suitable replacement for my old Berghaus Mera Peak II, which was long, had plenty of room and had 4 huge pockets that could swallow massive amounts and an internal map pocket. This could often mean I didn’t need a rucksack for shorter walks. There seem to be no suitable jackets for those of a larger than average build or who don’t want to be wearing a corset when out walking. There are also none with the pocket capacity I would like.

The Paramo Cascada Jacket might be worth a closer look although admittedly Paramo does tend to be bit of a marmite brand.

I have owned one for a few years (bought secondhand off ebay for £30 delivered) and it's still as good as new and has never let me down even in the worst weather. It just needs cleaning and reproofing regularly. If you ever need an insulating layer you can put a Paramo Torres gilet or jacket over the top.

The Keela Kandura is another worth looking at if you can find one.
« Last Edit: 13:46:21, 03/01/21 by kinkyboots »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy