Author Topic: Socks  (Read 1213 times)

Campbell

Socks
« on: 13:33:45, 03/05/20 »
I need advice.  I walk locally as we all do at the present time.  What I have found is that my mixed fibre socks are causing mild psoriasis on my feet.  I have researched how to help my feet with what would be the best socks and have got confused with all the different views and also what is the best lotion for healing the condition.  I am looking for something with loose top and lighter weight for this time of the year. 

Has anyone experienced the same skin condition and if so can recommend sock and cream.

Thanks

Campbell

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Socks
« Reply #1 on: 13:44:49, 03/05/20 »
Welcome from a soggy Devon.

Psoriasis is not a condition I have suffered from personally.  To be clear, is the diagnosis of your condition an autodiagnosis or has it been confirmed by a medical practitioner?  If the former, a quick chat with your GP or a podiatrist would seem to be in order in the first instance.
Solvitur Ambulando

Campbell

« Reply #2 on: 13:49:23, 03/05/20 »
Self diagnose.  Don’t like to bother medical services at this time if I can sort myself.

Campbell

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:09:28, 03/05/20 »
There are other conditions which are similar such as golfers' vasiculitis or dermatitis.  The former is quite common among walkers, especially in warmer weather, I have had it myself.  I would definitely speak to a medical professional if you think it is psoriasis as it is an autoimmune disease and is a chronic condition requiring a proper treatment.
Solvitur Ambulando

Campbell

« Reply #4 on: 14:14:11, 03/05/20 »
Right.  Think you may be right and I had the wrong word.  Dermatitis is more likely.  Have you found anything that helped.  Thanks.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:17:26, 03/05/20 »
Have you recently taken to wearing new shoes or socks? Where on your foot is the problem?
Solvitur Ambulando

Campbell

« Reply #6 on: 14:23:54, 03/05/20 »
No on both points.  The rash appears on the skin on the top of my feet.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:30:54, 03/05/20 »
No on both points.  The rash appears on the skin on the top of my feet.
I suffer from Vasculitis and occasionally dyshidrotic eczema.  Both are aggravated by exercise especially in warm or humid conditions.  Does your rash itch and does it last if you stop exercising?
Solvitur Ambulando

Campbell

« Reply #8 on: 14:38:06, 03/05/20 »
Sometimes it itches, but it does fade over the week when I only do short walks.  Maybe E45 emollient might help.  It did when I had dermatitis on my hands.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:59:31, 03/05/20 »
Might be exercise induced vasculitis (aka Disney Rash or Golfers Vasculitis) but that is more often the lower leg or ankle.  If you are prone to dermatitis it may be that or a simple heat rash (miliara rubra).  I would strongly advise speaking with your GP if it persists.  Internet diagnosis from a complete stranger is not a sensible way to manage your health.  In the interim, walk cool footed, shoes rather than boots, lightweight socks if you have them, and take a rest from walking if it flares up.
Solvitur Ambulando

Campbell

« Reply #10 on: 15:05:38, 03/05/20 »
Ok thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.  Campbell

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:18:15, 03/05/20 »
Because I run and hike and my feet sweat and 'burn' (get hot) so every couple of days or three when I've had a shower I just smear some Boots 'dual-action athletes foot cream' between my toes, over and under my toes and over my heels. I then put my socks on. My doctor suggested it to me a few years ago, he's a cyclist, and it works a treat for me!

I've never had athletes foot but I can assure you my feet are always of 'film star quality, suppleness, and beauty'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy