Author Topic: Dartmoor Way  (Read 1397 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Dartmoor Way
« on: 13:44:31, 27/10/20 »
New long distance path officially launched today

http://www.dartmoorway.co.uk/ww/index.php
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Dartmoor Way
« Reply #1 on: 13:48:26, 27/10/20 »
Slightly misnamed perhaps as it mostly circumnavigates the moorland ???
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:04:12, 27/10/20 »
Slightly misnamed perhaps as it mostly circumnavigates the moorland ???
But mostly inside the national park.  The idea is to showcase the villages and countryside around the moor thereby bringing business into the area support local accommodation, pubs and village shops.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:51:14, 27/10/20 »
But mostly inside the national park.  The idea is to showcase the villages and countryside around the moor thereby bringing business into the area support local accommodation, pubs and village shops.

Yes, I realise that but still think the name is a bit misleading. Though I can't think of a better one which is as 'snappy'.
If you walked the whole circular route you would have experienced very little of the scenery, animals and plants, history and antiquities of the open moor.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:06:32, 27/10/20 »
New long distance path officially launched today

http://www.dartmoorway.co.uk/ww/index.php
That no doubt explains why paths we expected to be waymarked as (say) the 'West Devon Way' during our recent Devon holiday were marked the 'Dartmoor Way'.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #5 on: 19:42:33, 27/10/20 »
Am not normally a moors fan or walker if im honest so i quite fancy a go at this one as its around the periphary rather than through the middle and reasonably local. 
Only thing putting me off a bit is that they state they dont signpost the more remote parts to avoid spoiling the scenery. 
Now i can see the idea from the scenery point of view - but whats the idea of having a waymarked trail then not marking it?  A couple of little posts would hardly desecrate the route id have thought.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:20:38, 29/10/20 »
Am not normally a moors fan or walker if im honest so i quite fancy a go at this one as its around the periphary rather than through the middle and reasonably local. 
Only thing putting me off a bit is that they state they dont signpost the more remote parts to avoid spoiling the scenery. 
Now i can see the idea from the scenery point of view - but whats the idea of having a waymarked trail then not marking it?  A couple of little posts would hardly desecrate the route id have thought.

Indeed. It's not like Dartmoor is pristine wilderness anyway. The northern part is covered in army signs and look-outs etc.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:48:46, 29/10/20 »

Indeed. It's not like Dartmoor is pristine wilderness anyway. The northern part is covered in army signs and look-outs etc.
I think "covered" is a bit OTT and the range tracks make convenient access routes towards the centre of the north moor.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy