Author Topic: First ever walk  (Read 1738 times)

Bakerd

First ever walk
« on: 11:46:13, 15/09/18 »
Hello.. im a total newbie.. I am doing a charity walk in january and have absolutely no idea what I need or how to prepare.. the walk is 380 ISH miles from Scotland to the south coast.. please help.. xx

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: First ever walk
« Reply #1 on: 12:32:16, 15/09/18 »
Buy boots first. Go to somewhere like Cotswold Camping and get your feet measured. Take your time, dont hurry to make a decision. Personally I would take a few full day walks well beforehand if you can, you may like it, but you may also realise that walking long distance is not for you?

If I was starting all over again I would buy 'cheap' boots first, just to be sure that long distances is what I want or not. For example, I bought a Decathlon pair of boots recently and then walked 140 miles through the Pyrenees. I walked on all surfaces, grass, dirt, gravel, rocks, tarmac etc and they were fine (they leaked on a rainy day but they dried quickly), they were also very comfortable, easy to lace and when I look at the soles very little wear seems to have occurred.

The one thing I've discovered which suits me fine, is that I always have a Sorbothane insert in my boots, (the other brands I'm sure are just as good) on top of, or underneath the normal boot insert. At the end of a long hiking day my feet sometimes swell a bit and my boots can become too tight for comfort. When this happens I just take out the normal boot insert which allows my feet to then fit into a slightly bigger space so that I can walk easy again.

As for the rest of your gear, well for me thats when it can be a bit more complicated. I'll leave it to others to suggest stuff because I'm just out to hike a 10 miler! Its a lovely day here and I don't want to miss it.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:33:10, 15/09/18 »

Maybe you could get some rare tropical illness  before the start date.

Are you serious - what duration is it over ?

If you are a non-walker I would suggest that you seriously consider 'backing out' - may be make a £1000 donation to Charity - It'll be cheaper in the long run.

Good luck.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:47:39, 15/09/18 »
Get well fitting boots.

Start walking every day from now on. To do distance, that soon, you need  to  get your mind used to walking long distances for lots of days. Walk ten miles on a Friday and the again on Saturday and sunday. Walk a few miles every day mon- Thursday.( If you work a normal week else adjust to suit your work time. )

Your head will always let you down as a novice . IF you cannot walk through the chafing and blisters.  Start thinking about what clothes in December by which time you'll have upped your weekend mileage or dropped out.
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:50:35, 15/09/18 »
In at the deep end then.  What is you sporting back ground? How old are you?  How many stages is the walk? Are you carrying your accomodation? Is the event supported on route? All important variables that would help the good folk here to taylor their replies to fit your needs.

Most important thing though, already said above, get your self some good fitting footwear.  Boots for sure, if it is over rough ground.  Though if you are walking on pavements and roads then good walking shoes will be better than boots. Then get out there and see how it feels. 

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:41:25, 15/09/18 »
 I can't find any reference to this event anywhere so I presume its some madcap idea that has been thought up? Put it on the backburner as it has the potenial to end in disaster,such as  being run over by a truck in the dark or dying from hypothermia

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:26:06, 16/09/18 »
Get some serious miles in beforehand.

And welcome!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

zuludog

« Reply #7 on: 12:00:28, 16/09/18 »
Hmmmm....... Where to start with this one? I think 'pillock' would be as good a place as any

On the other hand, it could be very Darwinian

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:28:38, 16/09/18 »
Start in May for a start off not January   :crazy2:
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:35:49, 18/09/18 »
Start with an easier walk!
Don’t start in January especially in Scotland!
And do come back and answer the questions that others have asked in order to try and help you  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:14:27, 19/09/18 »

I do wonder about one-off posts like this.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

rosam

« Reply #11 on: 00:08:49, 26/09/18 »
If you have signed up for it is because you think you can do it, or because you want to try to do it. Main thing as everyone else told you, start walking, maybe consider starting south and walk up north, prevention of blisters / injuries would be advisable. Be mentally ready to want to give up after the 3rd day, but don't! it will be worth it but you need to be prepared to stop if you are not safe or your blisters are killing you! 
More information from you would be helpful for anyone to give you good advice.

Rather be walking

« Reply #12 on: 14:47:07, 26/09/18 »
I think we scared them off  ;)
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy