Author Topic: 3 Yorkshire peaks.  (Read 11921 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: 3 Yorkshire peaks.
« Reply #30 on: 15:01:56, 23/07/18 »
Enjoy the walk - and I think your reasoning is spot on.  And very happy birthday for tomorrow - sounds a great way to spend it.  All the best.

Paul

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:12:08, 23/07/18 »
Also show that you have been thinking about not only the walk itself but the conditions.  Not sure where you are walking tomorrow but I’m sure its likely to be pretty hot. So lots of water, sunhat, sunlotion! Next time there might be different conditions to consider.  Have fun!

Kmo86

« Reply #32 on: 16:07:01, 23/07/18 »
Will be walking in Brantingham near Hull. Never been before but looking forward to it. Yea been thinking I will mention needing to take water which is more for me to show I’m thinking of everyone as I know they will be taking some.

Kmo86

« Reply #33 on: 16:12:49, 24/07/18 »
Well done just over 5 mile hill walk. Overall went well, but had 2 women struggle and go back with 2 of 3 staff. So for last half of walk it was just the man who organised it with 7 of us. I did try to keep an eye on everyone and checked people were ok. I was with a few in front as the 2 women decided they needed to go back. I did go back to check on them but was asked to stay with ones in front so did that. Was a man who seemed to struggle so kept checking on him and he did manage it.

At start we passed a hill that we hadn’t planned on going up so I mentioned we could go up it at end if anyone wanted to knowing I would want to. By the end I didn’t expect the man would remember or want to considering he was now on his own responsible for everyone, but he did and could see he was starting to relax as it was pretty much like we will go up this hill I think he’d probably mentioned it to the front few and they wanted to so rest of us just followed. I was glad to go up it but I think a few would have gladly not done it. I was at back keeping eye on people think it worked well as everyone was encouraging each other.

Next walk is the 10 mile one that had been planned before.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 16:21:19, 24/07/18 »
Great stuff Kmo86 - sounds like you handled it well - hope you enjoyed it.

IanyZen

« Reply #35 on: 19:27:52, 24/07/18 »
Well done on your walk  O0
& Happy Birthday  :)

Also great that you keep an eye on everyone else - even though it's great challenge for you personally, it will be a team effort and the team will help everyone achieve that challenge. I bet the others are pleased you are with them.

I shall be guiding a small group of runners doing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks over Aug Bank Holiday - l've walked the route but not run it before, so like you I am apprehensive about everyone completing it safely and having an enjoyable time.

Preparation is key - don't forget to keep walking and exercising between your practice walks - try to build as much exercise, be it walking, climbing steps, carrying shopping bags into your daily life.
Swimming is fantastic exercise and lots of fun.

Good luck - it'll be worth it
Ian & Zen

Good luck on your next adventure
Ian & Zen

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 19:55:34, 24/07/18 »
Did you ask him why he said no to today's walk?  Did he maybe have other commitments? 

I know other people have mentioned about bad weather making the walk difficult but good weather can make it difficult too.  The man organising it could have said no to a walk today simply because it is very hot. 

I struggled yesterday doing a 7 mile easy/gentle walk due to the heat.  I think I would have become seriously dehydrated and ill had I been doing the same distance in a more remote or mountainous area, despite carrying plenty of water and food.

Anyway, good luck with your challenge and I hope you do manage to get some practice walks in soon  O0

Heat is the worst enemy on this walk. In fact any sunny day becomes an issue. It is over 10 hours (if quick) and up to 20 (if slow) , that is a long time without shade in full sun.
Personally the route is best on an overcast day.
It IS an endurance challenge, that is the point of the route. Walking any of the peaks on its own is an achievement for a newbie.
You DO need training, or at least your body does. Mentally it is challenging too. Focussing on doing the bit you are on and ignoring all that is left.
Where are you based?
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Kmo86

« Reply #37 on: 19:59:35, 24/07/18 »
I do take my dog walks each day tho normally 30 min to an hour twice a day. I have never struggled with any amount of walking and I used to go for like 6 to 8 hour walks regular years back. Of course after so long my legs would ache but never anything more.

Today I asked man who planned the walk if he believed I would admit if I struggled as in past he has always been able to tell when I have struggled and I have never dented it. His answer was there is no chance at all of me saying I was struggling he thinks I could end up collapsing and still be saying I’m ok lol. I wouldn’t admit as soon as I struggle but would definitely admit it before going too far not that I’d know when that would be.

Will be interesting to see how far I manage before struggling and how long I can struggle before having to admit it. I would guess earliest would be 15 mile maybe 20 mile. But man who did today’s walk proved you can push yourself to do more and be ok.

Kmo86

« Reply #38 on: 20:02:06, 24/07/18 »

Heat is the worst enemy on this walk. In fact any sunny day becomes an issue. It is over 10 hours (if quick) and up to 20 (if slow) , that is a long time without shade in full sun.
Personally the route is best on an overcast day.
It IS an endurance challenge, that is the point of the route. Walking any of the peaks on its own is an achievement for a newbie.
You DO need training, or at least your body does. Mentally it is challenging too. Focussing on doing the bit you are on and ignoring all that is left.
Where are you based?

I’m in Bridlington the group who organised the walk is in Hull.

Kmo86

« Reply #39 on: 13:36:16, 31/07/18 »
Well it seems there is now more focus on doing these walks. I had been going to be part of a marathon relay team but now I’m not able to be so I am putting more attention into these walks and it seems like the man organising them has same idea. Next walk is 10 mile one near Sheffield on 13th September. After that I’m not sure and I know weather will be hit and miss after that so will mention still planning walks but see what weather is like on day which is what they did for first walk tho with it being summer it was expected to be warm and it was.

Kmo86

« Reply #40 on: 19:19:56, 01/08/18 »
Question will doctors give written notes confirming someone is fit to do something? The man organising these walks has said everyone needs to get a doctors note confirming they are fit to do a 10 mile hill walk before we do it. This is just to make sure the charity can’t get in trouble if anyone takes ill which did happen on the first walk luckily the women were ok after a rest but I think it shook the man up as obviously he was responsible and that happened not very nice for him and today he admitted he had been worried but he dealt with it brilliantly.

I have only lived in my current area 2 years and even tho I have got a doctor they don’t know me as I’ve never needed to see them. Even the doctors I had before moving probably don’t know me that well as I never needed to see them. I know it’s going to be something everyone has trouble with if anyone does but I really don’t want this to stop me from doing the walk and I know it’s one thing that no amount of pestering is going to change tho as I say it’s going to be everyone with same problem so think they should find way round it if needed

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:45:14, 01/08/18 »
The best person to ask is your doctor. Make an appointment, have a chat and see what he says.

Kmo86

« Reply #42 on: 20:34:19, 04/08/18 »
Not keen on speaker by on phone and not even knowing my doctor not helping. Well I’m at the group on Tuesday so going to have word with them see if they would phone and explain it for me and see what is said. I’m expecting doctor to refuse as I’ve never seen them. Back up plan is my Fitbit which counts how many steps you do in a day. 24000 is around 10 mile and I have done over 40,000 a few times. Now I know it’s not going to be same as a 10 mile uphill but surely it’s something to show I should manage 10 mile easily enough. If not they can say what would prove I’d be ok and I’ll do it on my own so no one can get blame if anything goes wrong.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 23:03:09, 04/08/18 »

Question will doctors give written notes confirming someone is fit to do something?  

Yes, they will.  Sometimes there is a charge.   

By the way, "confirming someone is fit to do something" doesn't mean physically fit, it means medically fit, as in if you have any medical conditions (eg. diabetes, a pacemaker, recovering from surgery, etc. and any medication you may be taking which could affect your ability.

.... I’m expecting doctor to refuse as I’ve never seen them. Back up plan is my Fitbit which counts how many steps you do in a day. 24000 is around 10 mile and I have done over 40,000 a few times. Now I know it’s not going to be same as a 10 mile uphill but surely it’s something to show I should manage 10 mile easily enough....

A doctor doesn't need to see you or even know you.  He/she can look at your medical records for any pre-existing medical conditions or medications which may have an impact on your ability to do the walk.  Obviously, seeing them/you face to face and having a chat about your challenge walk is a sensible way forward.

Kmo86

« Reply #44 on: 09:28:04, 05/08/18 »

Yes, they will.  Sometimes there is a charge. 

By the way, "confirming someone is fit to do something" doesn't mean physically fit, it means medically fit, as in if you have any medical conditions (eg. diabetes, a pacemaker, recovering from surgery, etc. and any medication you may be taking which could affect your ability.

A doctor doesn't need to see you or even know you.  He/she can look at your medical records for any pre-existing medical conditions or medications which may have an impact on your ability to do the walk.  Obviously, seeing them/you face to face and having a chat about your challenge walk is a sensible way forward.

That’s good to know mite be able to get one and it should cover me to do longer walks. Really hope it is as easy as this as I am determined to do this and other walks and I think the man organising them has heard enough about them lol. Got enough time to sort something so I can do them. Hopefully get it sorted on Tuesday so I can do the walk or at least get the staff to agree I won’t be stopped from doing it for any reason other than the obvious like if I had heart problems or something that would mean it was dangerous for me to do it. I know nothing like that will be the case so would be able to do it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy