Author Topic: Devils Kitchen  (Read 5681 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Devils Kitchen
« on: 12:46:04, 11/03/19 »
The new (ish) bridge, it’s a thumbs down from me I’m afraid.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Petrolhead

Re: Devils Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: 14:17:55, 12/03/19 »
I agree Phil, not the prettist thing is it? It could have looked a lot better with some thought towards the design of the railings. Something in keeping with that lovely gate as you start the climb to Llyn Idwal would have been a significant improvement.

All that said, it does mean a much easier route to the kitchen from that side of the lake for those less able to do the old jump. But then, if you couldn't make it over the stream / falls then heading up the kitchen is probably outside your skillset too!

:)

I knew nothing about it so it was quite a surprise when we came up to it on Christmas Eve!

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:35:15, 12/03/19 »
Yep definitely preferred the old stream crossing, we discussed it with a chap coming down from Llyn y Cwn as we were headed up the kitchen, sacrilege he called it, maybe a bit OTT but I understood his feelings.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:00:10, 12/03/19 »
More taming of the wilds.

Like the footbridge at Aber Falls.

Perhaps SNPA or the landowners are frightened of getting sued by tourists who slip and hurt themselves.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:10:03, 12/03/19 »
The stone bit you walk across looks fine (is it slate?)...but the metalwork's a bit ugly.  Wouldn't carved wood have been better?  (similar to the one at the bottom of Grindsbrook Clough near Edale). Or is that not 'in keeping' with the area?  Can't be any worse, surely! :-\
***Happiness is only a smile away***

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:04:47, 12/03/19 »
Yes looks like slate, but a fair bit of prep work gone into it also. I’m not sure about the reasons or the thinking behind it and there’s plenty of other places I’m sure where tourists don’t tread, maybe it’s close proximity to the A5 had something to do with it.

Petrolhead

« Reply #6 on: 11:05:09, 13/03/19 »
I don't mind the increased access as I don't think it will make that much difference to visitor levels. In reality, it's only going to mean more folks can do the full cicuit of Llyn Idwal rather than getting around to that point and realising they have to turn back. As I said in my previous post, if they were not capable of making the old jump, going up the kitchen wouldn't be something they'd attempt no doubt.

It's just that it's really ugly.

Honestly, it would have looked ten times better if they'd have just left the railings off!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:09:24, 13/03/19 »
Honestly, it would have looked ten times better if they'd have just left the railings off!

Can't do that, got to think of Health & Safety regs! Even if it is part-way up a mountain.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:57:38, 13/03/19 »
I've often been confused about safety. Would The Health and Safety at Work Act really be used to cover this particular situation? If its about safety on a public footpath, which is not in a work place setting, would the Health and Safety at Work Act really apply? I assume, unless I am informed otherwise, that this particular safety matter would be covered by some other act?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:43:50, 13/03/19 »
I've often been confused about safety. Would The Health and Safety at Work Act really be used to cover this particular situation? If its about safety on a public footpath, which is not in a work place setting, would the Health and Safety at Work Act really apply? I assume, unless I am informed otherwise, that this particular safety matter would be covered by some other act?
No, you're right. It would probably be covered under the tort of negligence. In other words what would a reasonable builder do to cover its legal responsibility towards all others.

We cannot see under this bridge , does it have a framework underneath to stop that possible slate from cracking and falling. Slate is not the strongest of materials to use for this type of thing being quite brittle and very much affected by frost.

My thought is, its there now and in 40 years will be regarded as a grand old thing. A wee bit of verdigris to enhance the future spirits. ;)
« Last Edit: 14:11:04, 13/03/19 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Petrolhead

« Reply #10 on: 14:08:25, 13/03/19 »
Can't do that, got to think of Health & Safety regs! Even if it is part-way up a mountain.

Do you think they've added the bridge on the grounds of health and safety? To stop people having to jump over a small stream to gain access to what is a fairly brave scramble? That would seem like madness to me. Although that doesn't mean that isn't the case. But I often come across small bridges like that with no railings. Given the width of the bridge, it's certainly safer than many I've had to cross. I wonder why that is?

Either way, I'm firmly in the camp of taking all the warning signs off everything and letting life sort itself out!

Survival of the most sensible...

:D

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:21:24, 13/03/19 »
Either way, I'm firmly in the camp of taking all the warning signs off everything and letting life sort itself out!
Survival of the most sensible...
Exactly, why are so many people against natural selection?.  :)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:40:32, 13/03/19 »
There is another path before you start climbing which allows tourists or day trippers to complete a circuit of Cwm Idwal without having to turn back. Just a thought though, there’s another similar bridge just off the Watkin Path which doesn’t have the hideous hand rails.

FTSTTLB

« Reply #13 on: 16:31:46, 13/03/19 »
So what was the bridge like before?

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:33:40, 13/03/19 »
There wasn’t one

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy