Author Topic: Old Farts Doing the Tour du Mont Blanc  (Read 1564 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Old Farts Doing the Tour du Mont Blanc
« Reply #15 on: 12:22:14, 24/02/20 »
Here are just two, just notice their poor ladder-climbing technique!  :-[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XdOK6SmO74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NFx9ib4V7M

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:50:08, 25/02/20 »
That sounds like a good technique GWM. Holding onto the rungs is safer than holding onto the sides when climbing a ladder.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:50:03, 26/02/20 »
In my case better than falling out of a tree! I will always remember my mother, she was a ladder gymnast, even in her 70s she could go to the top of a 30 rung ladder, with just one side of it in a V-shaped 'twig' swaying back and forth with the breeze or wind, body flat against the rungs, hands-free and using both of them at the same time them to pick cherries or apples (in those days they were the highest fruit trees) with a basket strapped around her waist. We all had to be careful when picking apples, especially Bramley's, they could grow to become very large and our greatest danger was when coming down the ladder, the basket full to the brim and heavy and trying not to dislodge a large apple above us. If one came down and hit us on the head it could be very painful and at worst could knock us off the ladder with the impact. So many people were injured in the 50/60s due to broken legs and arms!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:00:00, 26/02/20 »
When I did the Tour du Mont Blanc my cherry-picking skills became useful. There is one particular village en route, mostly wooden buildings and when I walked through it and downhill in brilliant sunshine to the road bridge, I stopped and leaned on the bridge balcony and directly in front of me and below me in a garden was a cherry tree fully laden with ripe and large black cherries. The old lady owner was in the garden picking a few off the lower branches. We exchanged pleasantries and I indicated by hand signals mostly that I could pick her cherries for her. She invited me down, she had a step ladder in her shed which I then used to pick loads of them. I even got into the tree upper branches and picked them as high as I could reach. She bought out bread, cheese, olives etc as my reward, I had a great afternoon and the memory of it is still strong.

titch22

« Reply #19 on: 20:50:26, 27/02/20 »
Awh..what a lovely story. Made me smile.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy