Author Topic: What do you drink when hot on the trail?  (Read 1455 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
What do you drink when hot on the trail?
« on: 10:55:23, 22/06/18 »
I drink beer and wine but NOT before 6.00pm. My only exception is Christmas Day.

I will sometimes have a glass of tonic, or a cup of black coffee around midday, but apart from this I only drink water.

The best water I remember was when hiking the Tour du Mont Blanc. It was so hot that year and I drank gallons of the stuff, directly from streams and pipes and never once bothered with my water filter, it was so cold and wonderful!

My Mum always told us that when hot, cold tea is the answer. She used to keep a milk bottle of it in the kitchen. Personally I never took up her idea.

My number one rule in life is to never have ice in my drinks. I've always known from when I was a teenager about frozen faecus and other nasties in ice so I never ever been interested!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: What do you drink when hot on the trail?
« Reply #1 on: 13:05:36, 22/06/18 »

On the trail - water; preferably from some mountain stream or remote lochan.

In the pub at the end of the day - beer; preferably a low strength 'session ale'.

If I'm camping wild (and if I can be bothered to carry it)  - a dram of fine malt whisky at the end of the day - helps me get off to sleep (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:30:02, 22/06/18 »
When out walking, pretty much exclusively water.

At the end of the walk, usually a pint of bitter shandy (or two if it's a really hot day and I'm in no rush to get home).

After getting soaking wet and freezing cold (in July!!) in the Brecon Beacons on what started out as a hot day a few years ago, we were staying in a local B&B that had its own bar - I certainly didn't feel like a long cold drink at the end, so I took a double dark rum up to my room and added it to a mug of instant hot chocolate. That went down a treat but the circumstances have never quite all come together for me to do it again since...  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:37:29, 22/06/18 »
Wine, Adams wine that is.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:54:05, 22/06/18 »
On the trail we drink water with an electrolyte tablet or 2 in it, either Power Bar or Zero. Replaces salts lost in perspiration and makes the water taste better.

Once done for the day then real ale or proper cider for choice. Mrs N prefers a cup of coffee after a hike.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:22:51, 22/06/18 »
When on my walk it's water and/or dilute juice with a flask of coffee for that brew with a view moment. 

After my walk it's shower then food and I like to round the day off with a glass of wine.

I'm not a great lover of ice cold water, particularly if I'm hot - it gives me "collywobbles" (makes my stomach cramp) - I find a cuppa far more thirst quenching and, strangely enough, cooling. 

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:36:24, 22/06/18 »
Water on walks, either out of the tap or a stream. I rarely filter in as I'm nearly always walking in areas where there aren't many grazing animals and agrochemicals aren't used. After my walk, tea or when camping out in the wilds lemon tea as it's nicer than normal tea when drunk black. I find as I get older I drink alcohol less and less, just the occasional beer or glass of wine. Also, I have to say this quietly as I do a lot of work for the Scottish whisky industry, but I hate the stuff.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:02:33, 22/06/18 »
Bottled water.
Or low sugar ginger beer.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

MarkT

« Reply #8 on: 22:17:23, 22/06/18 »
I don't drink hot drinks at all. I cannot stand tea/coffee/hot chocolate of any sort, white, black, sugary or none, so have always survived on water or juice.

Water on its own is fine but when i go away I take a juice concentrate and then add it to the water I either take from the campsite water supply or the streams/gills I pass on my walks and just add a little concentrate to my water bottle. For me this just adds a bit of extra taste and about 100g (66ml plus plastic squeezy bottle)for about 20 servings and approx £2, for me is worth it.

In the evening i will always try and visit the local pubs but have learnt the hard way and not have too much alcohol. A few pints of lager and a good conversation is perfect but an extra hour drinking can ruin a whole days walking!

Keeping fluids up is important but the right sort is recommended.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:17:20, 23/06/18 »
Water....and more water :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:20:14, 23/06/18 »
Warmer months, water with a touch of fruit aquash added.  Colder months I will also carry a flask of tea. New year's Day out with moorland ramblers, the full works.  Brandy, port, whisky, gin and mince pies.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:29:28, 23/06/18 »
New year's Day out with moorland ramblers, the full works.  Brandy, port, whisky, gin and mince pies.

Count me in - see you on New Year's Day!  ;) ;D

Nomad32

« Reply #12 on: 01:59:13, 24/06/18 »
During the day while walking water from rivers and where ever through a sawyer mini, coffee at any break an at camp I like a cheeky bottle of rum n coke. I know it adds over 1k to my base weight but I like a luxury. By no means am I a total weight weeny.
« Last Edit: 02:08:50, 24/06/18 by Nomad32 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy